+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Sponsorship - Stop Immigration Lottery

inviteparents23

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
The 2018 lottery, round 1, is up:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/selected.html
Last year chances were 1 in 10. With any type of lottery you may NEVER be selected.

If you would like the lottery to STOP and have clear, predictable parents sponsorship program, let's work together to have it repealed!
http://stop-immigration-lottery.ca/

I tried to subscribe on the above link. It does not work... I did not get any subscription email at all.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You are right, we are paying a lot of taxes. I don't know what logic they are using for randomness. It is a complete mess. Despite the fact that we have to show 3 years income, if we are eligible then we should get chance. I was not selected last year and this year the same.
This is partiality too for the people who are not selected twice in a row....
Allowing everyone that qualifies to enter an app, is what would have led to wait times of 10-15 years for a typical parents app to be processed.

Since PR visas being granted to parents each year needs to be capped, it's only logical that incoming apps are capped also.

awatto

May 6, 2018
You should consider that Canada accepted YOU as immigrant and never promised you can bring the rest of your family. If you are not happy with it, no one forced you to stay. This is just to answer you blaming Canada.
You know what, unlike you we can go anywhere else we want, having made a mistake of choosing this country before the change in PGP system. And you are stuck with your health system that constantly fails patients, with your education system which does not know how to teach math, with your current politicians that either yell in question period or talk like their audience is in the first grade of kindergarden, with your complex of inferiority relative to the US and on and on it goes...

As for the lottery system, they came up with it because people felt that lining up couriers from applicants at 6 am to make the 10K cut was unfair for people sending their apps from places further away. The truth is that no system is going to make everyone happy. I feel 10K applicants per year is fair, it is not right to push Canadians to pay for medicals / expenses from immigrant parents more than this.
Never heard of these line-ups or personal mail courriers standing in line before sending my application, and got into the quota without any probelm the first time. Enough talking about the boogieman that is not clear ever existed.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You know what, unlike you we can go anywhere else we want, having made a mistake of choosing this country before the change in PGP system. And you are stuck with your health system that constantly fails patients, with your education system which does not know how to teach math, with your current politicians that either yell in question period or talk like their audience is in the first grade of kindergarden, with your complex of inferiority relative to the US and on and on it goes...

Never heard of these line-ups or personal mail courriers standing in line before sending my application, and got into the quota without any probelm the first time. Enough talking about the boogieman that is not clear ever existed.
First, not stuck here, love it here.

Second, please pack your bag and leave if you are not happy, no one begging you to stay.

Third, educate yourself a bit by researching and seeing how PGP was in 2015 for example, local couriers were charging hundreds of dollars to go line up early.

By the way, way to join and write your first reply!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Why would you say "unlike you"? The majority of PGP sponsors are from less-developed countries that have far more stringent visa requirements, so Canadians have more chance of going anywhere they want. Yeah, Canada sucks, so you really should just leave.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pgp+sponsorship+courier+lineups

awatto

May 6, 2018
Third, educate yourself a bit by researching and seeing how PGP was in 2015 for example, local couriers were charging hundreds of dollars to go line up early.
Wow, how about i tell you tomorrow that there is a line-up somewhere else, are you going to join even if the entrance is free? In whose interest was it to start writing about so called line-ups, so that each person reading thought that they also needed to put a courrier into the line-up, and here you go there is congestion, where there should not have been any... And then comes the change which may not have even been well thought out by the bureaucrats. Want to dig there? Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Wow, how about i tell you tomorrow that there is a line-up somewhere else, are you going to join even if the entrance is free? In whose interest was it to start writing about so called line-ups, so that each person reading thought that they also needed to put a courrier into the line-up, and here you go there is congestion, where there should not have been any... And then comes the change which may not have even been well thought out by the bureaucrats. Want to dig there? Good luck!
Your post makes absolutely no sense...

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Huh? Read what you wrote and let us know if you understand anything....

napoleonbot

Mar 9, 2017
Definitely not fake news. Just a few short years ago (pre application cap) there were tons of people on this forum who had been waiting 9+ years. It wasn't at all unusual - downright normal.
But now the average wait time is still 9+ years, except it is all random, all random doesn't mean FAIR.

You go any where need to line up, you line up, you don't ask for a lottery, because line up is fair, nobody will give you a lottery to jump queue.

The people who qualified earlier got better chance, who met the LICO line earlier (pays more tax, have less burden in family hence less burden to society) qualifies quicker. that's called FAIR !!

napoleonbot

Mar 9, 2017
1. The whole point of a lottery is that it is impartial and gives everyone the same chance.
BUT, EQUAL doesn't mean FAIR, too many times it means UNFAIR in CANADA
You don't run lottery to determine who get to university, a better student goes because it benefit society.
Why not let people who pay more tax and qualify earlier (hence contribute more to society ) to get better chance.

2. A lottery is pretty simple to understand. If people don't understand from the beginning how it works and that they may never be chosen, that is their own fault.
True, very simple to understand, people complain it because it is unfair.

3. Of course less people are being approved and it is nothing to do with the lottery and everything to do with the cap...
True, lottery only make it worse, not source of the problem.

4. Your choice to pay insurance and expenses to keep your parents here knowing they may never get PR. Your taxes are irrelevant.
False, his tax IS relevant. the PGP program is capped because it is a tax funded program limit to certain degree that won't cause too much burden to taxed paid services like health care. For the same point, people pay more tax, hence contribute more to all taxed paid program should have better chance. Though paying more tax doesn't always mean more contribution, passing tipping point (LICO) is a balanced approach to select who get in earlier and quicker, meanwhile give most of working family chance.
Here is deal, you pass the line, you line up, and FIFO, that's what I understand about FAIRNESS

Reactions: Candi0707

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
4. Your choice to pay insurance and expenses to keep your parents here knowing they may never get PR. Your taxes are irrelevant.
False, his tax IS relevant. the PGP program is capped because it is a tax funded program limit to certain degree that won't cause too much burden to taxed paid services like health care. For the same point, people pay more tax, hence contribute more to all taxed paid program should have better chance. Though paying more tax doesn't always mean more contribution, passing tipping point (LICO) is a balanced approach to select who get in earlier and quicker, meanwhile give most of working family chance.
Here is deal, you pass the line, you line up, and FIFO, that's what I understand about FAIRNESS
Paying any amount of tax previously, has nothing to do with this. The LICO amount is meant only for general support of parents while here. The most expensive cost associated with parents (provincial healthcare) really has nothing to do with LICO. What someone has paid in taxes previously is completely irrelevant since tax dollars are used to benefit all Canadians. You can't argue since you've paid a certain amount of tax, that should someone be put towards healthcare costs of your own parents. Taxes don't work this way. What you've paid in taxes previously has already been spent, so makes zero difference to costs your parents will incur to Canada's healthcare in the future.

The old FIFO queue process was analyzed in great details, and if that process continued there were clear calculations that showed wait times would have increased to 15 years, increasing each and every year. To put it most simply, since the amount of parent PRs being approved/issued each year is capped, there must be a cap on new applications yearly as well to accommodate.

IMO the easiest process to ensure more fairness, is to track those that qualified but missed out on lottery, and simply give them an extra submission or something in the next years lottery.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I just thought of this. If the only cost to the system is healthcare for PGP.....healthcare is under the purview of provinces. The Provinces manage healthcare and their budgets.

Why not have PGP as a provincial program? I know immigration is under Federal but perhaps some leeway can be given to Provinces to manage PGP too? Just like how Quebec has their own immigration programs?

After all each province knows best what their system can sustain and accomodate. It might also be prudent for certain provinces to insist a special healthcare premium for PGP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just thought of this. If the only cost to the system is healthcare for PGP.....healthcare is under the purview of provinces. The Provinces manage healthcare and their budgets.

Why not have PGP as a provincial program? I know immigration is under Federal but perhaps some leeway can be given to Provinces to manage PGP too? Just like how Quebec has their own immigration programs?

After all each province knows best what their system can sustain and accomodate. It might also be prudent for certain provinces to insist a special healthcare premium for PGP.
The huge flaw in your reasoning is any PR can move. Also could see people moving to provinces with low immigrant numbers for a couple of years to sponsor their parents and the move back to ON/BC/QC. People did actually put a lot of thought into these programs.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

All provinces currently do have their own immigratiop programs (Provincial Nominee Programs), not just Quebec.

For PGP though, I've always found it odd that Quebec is allowed to make all these special rules to make it easier to sponsor parents from there (mainly requiring only 1 year of income) while the rest of the provinces must follow federal guidelines. I would have no issue if other provinces were also allowed to set their own financial rules. But at the end of the day the federal govt still controls Quebec's PGP program in terms of overall caps, quotas on PRs issued per year, excessive demand test, etc.

However, the federal government still gives lots of money to the provinces to use in their healthcare programs, and manages distribution of funds from the richer to the poorer provinces. So no matter what province a parent goes to, it can still affect all Canadians when it comes to taxes and healthcare costs.

Imagine also if some provinces thought the federal rules were too generous. More conservative provinces (like Alberta for example) may go back to cutting the caps on PGP programs, or simply eliminating it all-together in their province if given the chance to control it. Allowing the federal government to ultimately control it may be the better choice.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
The huge flaw in your reasoning is any PR can move. Also could see people moving to provinces with low immigrant numbers for a couple of years to sponsor their parents and the move back to ON/BC/QC. People did actually put a lot of thought into these programs.
They could build in a clause that says that they can ONLY have health care coverage in the province they signed up with. As it is if anyone goes to Quebec and sees a doctor they have to pay upfront. Then go back to make a claim with their own province Healthcare Authority. So it's not like there isn't a system like this already in place.