+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Sponsorship- Lost Job

newuser4567

Mar 29, 2020
Hi, Can someone please help with this urgent query? Thanks.

I am planning to sponsor for parents PR in 2022. I need to show income for last three years so for 2019 I maintained the required income to sponsor both parents.

Now in 2020, I have temporarily lost my job due to Covid. I am planning to apply for CERB or EI but will that affect my application later? Because this will reflect on my Notice of Assessment and can it disqualify my application later? Suppose I take CERB now for 4 month and meanwhile try starting my own business (self-employed) and then have the total income for the year as per the requirement is that ok?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, Can someone please help with this urgent query? Thanks.

I am planning to sponsor for parents PR in 2022. I need to show income for last three years so for 2019 I maintained the required income to sponsor both parents.

Now in 2020, I have temporarily lost my job due to Covid. I am planning to apply for CERB or EI but will that affect my application later? Because this will reflect on my Notice of Assessment and can it disqualify my application later? Suppose I take CERB now for 4 month and meanwhile try starting my own business (self-employed) and then have the total income for the year as per the requirement is that ok?
CERB and EI will not prevent you from sponsoring your parents. As long as you make enough income, in each of the three years, you will qualify.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
EI is currently subtracted from your line 150 income for parent sponsorship and perhaps CERB will as well. It is too soon to know what the PGP program will look like in 2022. We haven’t even seen the chances to PGP2020. Unfortunately many want to sponsor their parents after 3 years but it is often not possible due to demand exceeding the amount of spots.

newuser4567

Mar 29, 2020
Thank you. Was just worried if taking CERB might make me inelligible to sponsor parents later. So it does not. Question answered now, thanks.

BitaBita

Jan 18, 2021
Hi,
I submitted the file for parents sponsership in 2018 and they did the visite medical and fingerprint, in the site of canada also they mentioned decision made for federal and Quebec but i didn't receive the pass requested yet. I have lost my job for six month due to Covide-19.
Is it because there is no answer yet and there is a possibility that the case will be rejected??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I submitted the file for parents sponsership in 2018 and they did the visite medical and fingerprint, in the site of canada also they mentioned decision made for federal and Quebec but i didn't receive the pass requested yet. I have lost my job for six month due to Covide-19.
Is it because there is no answer yet and there is a possibility that the case will be rejected??
If your case status reads decision made for the full application, then I think chance are good that the application has been approved and IRCC has not looked at your recent income.

If there were concerns about your income, the IRCC would have sent a PFL letter asking you to prove you are still meeting the income requirements.

However it's really impossible to say for sure until your parents have the official approval and COPR.

Good luck.

BitaBita

Jan 18, 2021
If your case status reads decision made for the full application, then I think chance are good that the application has been approved and IRCC has not looked at your recent income.

If there were concerns about your income, the IRCC would have sent a PFL letter asking you to prove you are still meeting the income requirements.

However it's really impossible to say for sure until your parents have the official approval and COPR.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your fast reply :) Anyway I'am on EI now, so i suppose this is a kind of valid income if i am not mistaken.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your fast reply :) Anyway I'am on EI now, so i suppose this is a kind of valid income if i am not mistaken.
EI is usually subtracted from LICO amount for PGP. An exception was made for 2020. I would try to gind employment as soon as possible not knowing whether EI will be included in LICO amount again due to covid. Quebec looks at the whole financial picture so not working may certwinly be a concern because it is hard to support one person on EI if you add 2 seniors it would be vert difficult

BitaBita

Jan 18, 2021
EI is usually subtracted from LICO amount for PGP. An exception was made for 2020. I would try to gind employment as soon as possible not knowing whether EI will be included in LICO amount again due to covid. Quebec looks at the whole financial picture so not working may certwinly be a concern because it is hard to support one person on EI if you add 2 seniors it would be vert difficult
Hi,

I mean, you think that even though I applied in 2018 and my income from 2016 to 2018 (three years before the application) was almost four times more than LICO, and I have been unemployed since mid-2020, EI of 2020 can still be a problem for my case and they will check my income this year?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,

I mean, you think that even though I applied in 2018 and my income from 2016 to 2018 (three years before the application) was almost four times more than LICO, and I have been unemployed since mid-2020, EI of 2020 can still be a problem for my case and they will check my income this year?
Yes it could be a problem.

In fact if not for covid19 it will definitely be a problem.

Covid19 however is used as the reason for many as to why they lost their jobs. Now I am sure many lost their jobs due to the economic impact of covid19 but it would be incorrect to say that all job losses in 2020 were due to covid19.

How IRCC deals with this is up in the air at present.

Likely they will just use the same figures for 2020 LICO for 2021. And depending whether covid19 economic impact carries into 2022 might be the same for 2022.

Or they could say hey this low level of LICO is unsustainable.

Can you imagine those low low LICO requirements to sponsor people? Where is the money coming from?

3 years in a row of low low LICO levels requirements?

BitaBita

Jan 18, 2021
Yes it could be a problem.

In fact if not for covid19 it will definitely be a problem.

Covid19 however is used as the reason for many as to why they lost their jobs. Now I am sure many lost their jobs due to the economic impact of covid19 but it would be incorrect to say that all job losses in 2020 were due to covid19.

How IRCC deals with this is up in the air at present.

Likely they will just use the same figures for 2020 LICO for 2021. And depending whether covid19 economic impact carries into 2022 might be the same for 2022.

Or they could say hey this low level of LICO is unsustainable.

Can you imagine those low low LICO requirements to sponsor people? Where is the money coming from?

3 years in a row of low low LICO levels requirements?

Thank you for your answer.

Only i mentioned that in my dismissal letter they mentioned the economic problems caused by covid-19 is the the reason of fire and I was the director of the department. And for LICO, I meant that every year from 2016 to 2018 (almost for many years) my income per year was four times more than LICO ....

Anyway, I hope there is no problem and thanks a lot for your reply

Reactions: nayr69sg

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Thank you for your answer.

Only i mentioned that in my dismissal letter they mentioned the economic problems caused by covid-19 is the the reason of fire and I was the director of the department. And for LICO, I meant that every year from 2016 to 2018 (almost for many years) my income per year was four times more than LICO ....

Anyway, I hope there is no problem and thanks a lot for your reply
Sorry about your job loss. Yes as with many likely covid19 was the factor. Hence IRCC is correct to lower the LICO requirement for 2020.

However going forward I don't know if it is sustainable to keep such a low figure for 2021 and possible the years ahead?

The economic impact of covid19 is going to be felt for several years at least 3 in a row 2020-2022 if I would make a guess maybe longer.

best case is to get a job quickly. Then the 2020 and 2021 low LICO income will help with ensuring you meet the 3 years in a row requirements. I am going to guess that for 2022 they will go back to the usual average LICO income levels as required.

Reactions: BitaBita