+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents PR Expiring, need help!

nmj_14

Jan 27, 2024
Hi, My brother (who is a Canadian Citizen) sponsored my parents 5 years back for PR and they got it via lottery system. However, due to COVID, they were not able to fulfil the requirement of staying in Canada for 3 years minimum. Their PR is expiring this month, can they apply for a PR extension or re-apply for it on humanitarian grounds?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Covid restrictions on travel ended more than 2 years ago. So I don't think the humanitarian grounds route will work.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, My brother (who is a Canadian Citizen) sponsored my parents 5 years back for PR and they got it via lottery system. However, due to COVID, they were not able to fulfil the requirement of staying in Canada for 3 years minimum. Their PR is expiring this month, can they apply for a PR extension or re-apply for it on humanitarian grounds?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Don't renew until they meet the requirement.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Are they in Canada or not?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They cannot renew their PR if they don’t meet residency obligations. If they are not in Canada, they should come before expiry and not leave until they meet RO.

COVID started in 2020 and they were not bound by travel restrictions. Also ended 2 years ago so they have had lots of time to return. That is not a H&C reason.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Reread the answers you received in April. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Their PR (status) is NOT expiring this month! Their individual PR CARD is expiring. Big difference.

As suggested, they may have a difficult time convincing IRCC that their reasons or not meeting the Residency Obligation.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Isn't the RO 2/5 years and not 3?
Right!? Didn't spot that in OP's post.

Would help if we know how long they have been outside.
But the general idea is to travel before PR cards expire and hope that they do not get reported.
Stay in Canada until they meet RO (may be 2 years if they haven't been in for the recent years).

And make sure they get private health insurance to cover emergency.