+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

parents name change in my passport when already submitted incorrect names in family form details

mgOntario

Sep 23, 2018
hi

I am from India and working in Canada for last 1 year and 2 months and on ICT work permit. I have my father name as rahul kumar gupta and mother name as sheetal gupta on my passport while my father name on his passport is rahul kumar garg and my mother passport shows her name as sheetal rani gupta.

In my all documents from starting i have my father name as rahul kumar gupta and mom name as sheetal gupta and i don't have any proof in my own documents showing my father name is rahul kumar garg and mother name as sheetal rani gupta and neither my father has any of his documents showing his name as rahul kumar gupta nor my mom has any documents showing her name as sheetal gupta.

i want to apply for PR and want my parents to visit here and live here temporarily for 2-3 months.
Now i have 2 options to do either i have to do amendment in my passport to show correct name of my father and mother before applying PR or do the correction in my passport after getting PR. Which option is better and how can i do it?

i was wondering how IRCC would take it with correct names of my mom and dad at the time of my PR application (if i go with option 1) as i have already filled my family details in family form during work permit process with mom and dad incorrect names(indeed, as per my passport not as per their passport), .

one more thing, as my father and mother never have had their name changed so would they have to mention any other name (alias, or previously used) while applying for Visitor visa sponsored by me after my PR.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am from India and working in Canada for last 1 year and 2 months and on ICT work permit. I have my father name as rahul kumar gupta and mother name as sheetal gupta on my passport while my father name on his passport is rahul kumar garg and my mother passport shows her name as sheetal rani gupta.

In my all documents from starting i have my father name as rahul kumar gupta and mom name as sheetal gupta and i don't have any proof in my own documents showing my father name is rahul kumar garg and mother name as sheetal rani gupta and neither my father has any of his documents showing his name as rahul kumar gupta nor my mom has any documents showing her name as sheetal gupta.
IMO, this is going to be a huge challenge for you to resolve.

Rahul Kumar Garg is a hugely different identity from Rahul Kumar Gupta. Two different identities or can be considered as two different persons, in fact.

1. Your birth certificate, school records, your passport, visa applications et al state 'Rahul Kumar Gupta' as your dad, right?
2. What is the name of your dad on his marriage certificate? His bank statements? Property? PAN Card?
3. What is your dad's name in your mom's passport?

i want to apply for PR and want my parents to visit here and live here temporarily for 2-3 months.
Now i have 2 options to do either i have to do amendment in my passport to show correct name of my father and mother before applying PR or do the correction in my passport after getting PR. Which option is better and how can i do it?
Changing his name in your PR application won't help, IMO. This is because all your previous records with IRCC state the other identity.

one more thing, as my father and mother never have had their name changed so would they have to mention any other name (alias, or previously used) while applying for Visitor visa sponsored by me after my PR.
They must state any nicknames, aliases, etc in any TRV application they submit.... before/after your PR

mgOntario

Sep 23, 2018
Thanks Bryanna for prompt reply.

1. Your birth certificate, school records, your passport, visa applications et al state 'Rahul Kumar Gupta' as your dad, right?
will check birth certificate and post later today. yes in my all records, father name is Rahul KUmar Gupta
2. What is the name of your dad on his marriage certificate? His bank statements? Property? PAN Card?
father and mom don't have a marriage certificate. it was not common to get the marriage certificate. i will try if he can get one now.
3. What is your dad's name in your mom's passport? in my mom passport, husband name is rahul kumar Garg

but to add one more thing, in my dad's passport , my mom (his wife)'s name is sheetal gupta
but my mom name in her own passport is sheetal rani gupta

Changing his name in your PR application won't help, IMO. This is because all your previous records with IRCC state the other identity.
i didn't understand this. I will get new passport after correcting my father and mother name in my passport then i will apply for PR. will it help if i give an explanation letter explaining about my mom and dad name change. Will it impact approval chances of my PR application.

They must state any nicknames, aliases, etc in any TRV application they submit.... before/after your PR
ok my father can state nick name as rahul kumar gupta but he dont have any supporting document to prove this,
my mother can state her nick name as sheetal gupta but she too dont have any recognized proof to claim her nick name.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks Bryanna for prompt reply.

will check birth certificate and post later today. yes in my all records, father name is Rahul KUmar Gupta
Your birth certificate and your passport are the critical documents for IRCC.

father and mom don't have a marriage certificate. it was not common to get the marriage certificate. i will try if he can get one now.
What is his name for his bank statements, property, PAN card, etc?

Don't rush to get a marriage certificate. I don't think you can get one now.

3. What is your dad's name in your mom's passport? in my mom passport, husband name is rahul kumar Garg
Any idea about the origin of this mismatch in family names?

but to add one more thing, in my dad's passport , my mom (his wife)'s name is sheetal gupta
but my mom name in her own passport is sheetal rani gupta
By Indian passport rules, this is considered as a major change in the identity i.e. the inclusion of 'Rani'

Have you parents previously traveled on these passports?

i didn't understand this. I will get new passport after correcting my father and mother name in my passport then i will apply for PR. will it help if i give an explanation letter explaining about my mom and dad name change. Will it impact approval chances of my PR application.
Wait. Don't rush to get a new passport yet. There's a whole bunch of documents that needs to be considered because your parents' identities are different from those that you have declared.

No, your parents' name change has no impact/will not improve your chances of PR approval.

ok my father can state nick name as rahul kumar gupta but he dont have any supporting document to prove this,
my mother can state her nick name as sheetal gupta but she too dont have any recognized proof to claim her nick name.
That's okay

mgOntario

Sep 23, 2018
Thanks Bryanna,

What is his name for his bank statements, property, PAN card, etc?

his name in all above document is rahul kumar garg except PAN , in PAN his name is rahul kumar (this can be changed to rahul kumar garg)

Don't rush to get a marriage certificate. I don't think you can get one now.

OK.

Any idea about the origin of this mismatch in family names?
what could i say, it is a huge mistake since beginning, was not sincere that this can make such a big issue later. I had mistakenly entered my father name as rahul kumar gupta in my 5th standard and since then it was never corrected and i have maintained same in my all documents.

By Indian passport rules, this is considered as a major change in the identity i.e. the inclusion of 'Rani'
Have you parents previously traveled on these passports?

no, they have never applied for any country previously.

Wait. Don't rush to get a new passport yet. There's a whole bunch of documents that needs to be considered because your parents' identities are different from those that you have declared.
ok, so what you suggest to do in my case, i want to report this(conflict in parent's name in their and mine passport) to IRCC before applying my parent's VISITOR VISA.

No, your parents' name change has no impact/will not improve your chances of PR approval.

Yes it surely would not improve but may it decrease the chances of PR approval if IRCC have noticed name change of my parents in my passport and they might get confused (if i choose to change my parents name in my passport before applying Canadian PR)

That's okay

mgOntario

Sep 23, 2018
Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for your support. I still not clear regarding some points. would appreciate if u can put some light on my last reply.

Thanks

mgOntario

Sep 23, 2018
Hi, In continuation to above discussion,

I need to file my work permit (LMIA Sponsored) for Canada and in process of filling my application to IRCC , i am asked to give my birth certificate.
In my birth certificate my father name is rahul kumar garg (my father name in his own passport is Rahul Kumar Garg) however in my passport, my father name is rahul kumar gupta.

I have already been to Canada from Oct 2017 to Jun 2019 (ICT VISA: LMIA exempt) and in all my previous correspondence with IRCC, i had mentioned my father name as "Rahul kumar Gupta" as per my passport. In my previous work permit(ICT) application they didnt ask for my birth certificate.

Now I am getting confused what should i do, I will be giving two different name for same person in my single application. Is it safe to give affidavit saying my father is also knows as Rahul kumar gupta however his name on his own passport is rahul kumar garg.

Currently I am in India.

Please suggest.

Jan 8, 2021
Hi Friends, I Saw above post and its really helping me to understand, as im in same boat.

Not sure how did you resolve this issue, did you change your parents incorrect name in your passport or in there passports names where changed.

which is the best way please let me know ? waiting for your reply

Anyone please let me know, how to resolve this

Shushmoy Mahid

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hello everyone. I Have applied for PR ( Express entry) and waiting for passport request. Now IRCC asked me to fill my mother detail as per her birth. Now, my mother name is different from her national id card. All my documents, passport, certificates my mother name is Raihana Mustafa. But my mother name in her document is Raihana Akter Banu... Can somebody help me out? I have seven days to submit

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone. I Have applied for PR ( Express entry) and waiting for passport request. Now IRCC asked me to fill my mother detail as per her birth. Now, my mother name is different from her national id card. All my documents, passport, certificates my mother name is Raihana Mustafa. But my mother name in her document is Raihana Akter Banu... Can somebody help me out? I have seven days to submit
Provide copies of the documents and short letter of explanation why there is a different name. As I understand , this is not uncommon in certain countries, so don't worry about it, just tell the truth.