+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for visitor visa for parents when the name in the birth certificate is different

jaySil

Nov 30, 2018
  1. Hi everyone,
We are PR in Canada and hoping to get our parents to Canada in the long run. But there is a problem with the name of my father.
His name in his passport is different than the name that appears in my birth certificate. The last name is same, but there is a significant difference in the first name.
(Initially he was planning to change his name ~30 years ago and used that name in the marriage certificates, and our birth certificates.. But then he changed his idea and kept his original name). Lets say his first name is XX and the last name is YY.
  1. The name in his birth certificate XX YY.
  2. The name in his passport XX YY.
  3. The name in his national ID XX YY.
  4. The name in my birth certificate ZZ YY.
  5. The name in his marriage certificate ZZ YY.
  6. The name in my sisters birth certificate ZZ YY.
  7. The name we used in previous visa applications (for family info) ZZ YY

Now we are trying to get visa for him (initially going to apply for a visit visa and later will apply for super visa or other long term visa). We are looking at four options now.

1. 1. Apply with the name on the passport (XX YY) and use an affidavit saying that he used two different names and the names refer to the same person. This seems the easiest option but worried whether the visa officer will be satisfied with the given justifications.
  2. 2. Try to include the name ZZ YY as an additional name on the passport. Immigration department in the home country refused to do this without a court order. So in that case we have to file a request in the courts and get a verdict to include this name on the passport. This seems to work as everything will be documented legally, but with Covid and stuff will take more than 12+ months to get everything done.
  3. 3. Change the name legally to ZZ YY and then get a new passport. However, the name change date will be relatively new and we are worried that it may cause some problems with the visa officer.

Does anyone faced a similar problem ? And what is your suggestions about the above three options ?
Thank you

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
I don't know about super visa. But for visitor visa for parents, you need to prove the relation with your parents. For that your passport and their passport is all what needed. Birth certificates and all is not mandatory. So your passport and their passports should match. If there is any difference and they can't fix it from their side, you can get it fixed to match on your passport.
I don't know which country you are from, for me my mother's name was ZZ YY on my passport, her correct name is YY ZZ. I got it fixed on mine.

Reactions: jaySil

jaySil

Nov 30, 2018
I don't know about super visa. But for visitor visa for parents, you need to prove the relation with your parents. For that your passport and their passport is all what needed. Birth certificates and all is not mandatory. So your passport and their passports should match. If there is any difference and they can't fix it from their side, you can get it fixed to match on your passport.
I don't know which country you are from, for me my mother's name was ZZ YY on my passport, her correct name is YY ZZ. I got it fixed on mine.
Thank you for the reply. But the parents name is not included in our passports. So we can't use it to prove anything.

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
Okay that seems complicated. I don't think just affidavit is enough in my opinion. Hopefully someone will respond to your query.
It would be nice to get his passport corrected(would that name change date be seen on your passport?)

Reactions: jaySil

jaySil

Nov 30, 2018
Okay that seems complicated. I don't think just affidavit is enough in my opinion. Hopefully someone will respond to your query.
It would be nice to get his passport corrected(would that name change date be seen on your passport?)
Thank you very much

kyowa69

Feb 20, 2017
I just want to ask, i want to sponsor my mom, my surname is Corpuz in my BC but hers is Corpus. How can i prove it? Thanks in advance.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
I just want to ask, i want to sponsor my mom, my surname is Corpuz in my BC but hers is Corpus. How can i prove it? Thanks in advance.
You can use an Affidavit and explain it , That should be OK

DreamerT

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello @jaySil ..
I read your post from Jan this year.. regarding the name issue of your father on his passport vs yours… I’m in a similar situation where my passport has XX YY as father name and his passport has XX ZZ…
How did you resolve this issue.. where you able to get visa for your father… can you please guide me.. Thankyou in anticipation..!!