Jul 12, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
25-03-2019
Do anyone have information about the number of people remaining in the 2020 pool from which 2023 draw will be done ?

AtulxGupta

Dec 31, 2022
Also can someone please advise about the process if I want to submit an interest today? I know they are looking at 2020 interest submissions, but how do I submit an interest to sponsor my parents today so that I at least know I have entered the pool in 2023 whenever they start with 2023

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
It also isn’t guaranteed especially parent sponsorship and there is no time frame if you selected for sponsorship. Many also need to understand that most countries don’t allow any parent or grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare so the fact that Canada allows any amount is better than most other countries. I know many would prefer a larger quota or even unlimited parent/grandparent sponsorship but Canada is allowing a larger amount of parent and grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare than most other countries while also have a lower number of hospital beds per capita and physicians per capita than most other OECD countries. Many are under the false impression that you will be able to actually sponsor your parents 3 years after moving to Canada or as soon as you get PR if you have been living in Canada longterm. Realistically it takes much longer if you do actually get selected and are able to get approved. The processing times can also be many years. IRCC should be upfront and clarify that although you may qualify to apply for PGP after 3 years (1 year in Quebec) if you meet LICO most wait much longer than that and some never get selected.
Totally agree
Canada allow PGP that itself is big thing

Reactions: find_anand

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also can someone please advise about the process if I want to submit an interest today? I know they are looking at 2020 interest submissions, but how do I submit an interest to sponsor my parents today so that I at least know I have entered the pool in 2023 whenever they start with 2023
You cannot submit a profile. You are only eligible if you submitted in 2020. May be years if IRCC just selects from the 2020 pool until all have been invited.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
... and the middle stage is the only one that is voluntary.

People voluntarily immigrate to Canada.:eek:
Yes Voluntarily but you need to decide better life for yourself , your family , and then at old age you want your parent to be with you. so most of ppl do if get a chance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't. They aren't accepting new interests to sponsor this year.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
You cannot submit a profile. You are only eligible if you submitted in 2020. May be years if IRCC just selects from the 2020 pool until all have been invited.
If this happen I will be so happy.
Cause if IRCC leave any single person out of that remaining pool , that person will be me , (I am that confident about my LUCK :( )

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Unfortunately answer is NO

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If this happen I will be so happy.
Cause if IRCC leave any single person out of that remaining pool , that person will be me , (I am that confident about my LUCK :( )
My thinking is that IRCC has gone this far with only selecting from the 2020 pool that they cannot change the rules now. They have to drain the current pool. If they don’t there will be such an uproar.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
The income and PGP requirements are published so you (and/or your spouse if married) did have the ability to take on a second job to make sure your met LICO even with a job loss that meant your went through a short period of unemployment. Going through a short period of unemployment due to a job loss or for other reasons like a short illness/injury is not uncommon. Also fairly common for families to have a reduced income for 1-2 years due to things like maternity leave. When people know they want to try and sponsor their parents they monitor their income and make lifestyle adjustments if at all possible in order to make sure that their family income will be above LICO. In some cases it is will not be possible to meet LICO if you are unable to work due to serious illness or must be a caregiver to someone else with a serious health issue but given that LICO is relatively low given cost of living many are able to make-up any temporary period of unemployment. The income needed to meet LICO is incredibly low and in most parts of Canada you could not support your family and parents on the income needed to sponsor. Requiring people to meet such a low income requirement and will be able to weather any other periods of employment is a pretty low standard. I can only imagine that many families applying for PGP or who have received PGP are also using foodbanks.
Thanks for your lengthy explanation, but the income requirement isn't the same as LICO. Also, that income requirement accounts for everyone that the sponsor is responsible for, that means family members already living in Canada that already rely on the same household income. It's not uncommon to have a household of 4-6 already in Canada, PLUS the 1 or 2 additional family members to be sponsored for, that's $80k+ annual income required, not exactly poverty. Whether or not a family of 7 can survive with a $87k annual income largely depends on the city or region that they reside in, but that's beyond the point.

Last edited:

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
My thinking is that IRCC has gone this far with only selecting from the 2020 pool that they cannot change the rules now. They have to drain the current pool. If they don’t there will be such an uproar.
My advice for anyone even have a tingling about applying, need to submit their interest next year or whenever they decided to reopen the pool, because this 4-years hiatus would definitely generate a huge pool of interests and we will be in the same drawing from the same pool game again.

JaniSyed

Aug 14, 2020
I respect your opinion and this is the last point I am going to make as well. Note the link I've shared stated the income required when one is "invited to apply", then by definition the people being invited this year will need to demonstrate income in 2020, 2021 and 2022. However, for the people who shown interest back in 2020, the mindset would be to have eligible income in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

For context, I was jobless for months in late 2016 and early 2017 and I had to move to another city in Canada to find work. I have since have bounced back to the income I made before and even more, but due to that blimp, I didn't apply in 2020 and that has costed me dearly.

Again, you can disagree, but I am just stating facts.
Also please note that, in those years 2017,2018, 2019, Application to sponsor are called for in April, and the Tax Returns could not be completed by then, thus adding one more year for applying. It will be frustating to wait for 4 years to qualify and after that another 4 years for the Parents to be in que to apply and join the pool. Currently the Pool comprises of 150,000 as per the reports. Anybody guess the chances.

Reactions: GFLiam

JaniSyed

Aug 14, 2020
My advice for anyone even have a tingling about applying, need to submit their interest next year or whenever they decided to reopen the pool, because this 4-years hiatus would definitely generate a huge pool of interests and we will be in the same drawing from the same pool game again.
The Parents are held up at the gates. At the rate the ITAs are provided, it may be a decade to exhaust the pool, considering the pendency of 150000 applications.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The Parents are held up at the gates. At the rate the ITAs are provided, it may be a decade to exhaust the pool, considering the pendency of 150000 applications.
If they allow 25,000 per year and exhaust the pool then that is another 4-5 years. Can you imagine when the pool opens again. You will have around 500,000 submissions. This also doesn’t factor if there are any changes in government which could change or scrap the program.

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
Do anyone have information about the number of people remaining in the 2020 pool from which 2023 draw will be done ?
Hi these links might help you.

There were a total of 203213 interests submitted on 2020, out of which 13400 were invited to apply (Ref: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgp-2020.646383/page-176#post-9121347), i.e., remaining in the pool = 203213-13400 = 189813

In 2021, 34500 were invited to apply (Ref: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2021.744749/page-86#post-9737915), i.e., remaining in the pool = 189813 - 34500 = 155313

In 2022, IRCC announced that they will be "sending invitations to apply to 23,100 interested potential sponsors" (Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/10/reuniting-families-across-the-country.html), i.e., minimum remaining in the pool = 155313 - 23100 = 132213

This year, in 2023, "RCC will be.. sending invitations to apply to 24,200 interested potential sponsors" (Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/parents-grandparents-program-re-opens-fall.html)

Hope these numbers are what you are looking for. Best of luck to those who are waiting.