+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program (PGP) 2023

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
That scenario doesn't hold water. If someone doesn't meet the income criterial for one year, this would knock then out of qualifying as a sponsor for three years (unless they happen to live in Quebec) - not just one year. If someone didn't qualify for the first time based on income in 2020 (presumably the issue would have been their 2019 income), then they wouldn't have qualified in 2021 and 2022 either. Also, if they had entered and been selected in a previous year (e.g. 2018) but then failed to maintain the required level of income in 2019, the application would have been at high risk of refusal.

One of the very basic criteria of qualifying as a sponsor is meeting the income requirements for three years in a row and then maintaining that income while the application is sponsored. Failing to meet the income requirements for one single year makes you ineligible to sponsor for multiple years.
Sorry that's wrong. The income requirements for sponsoring families have been affected drastically due to the effects of the pandemic (see: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14). Also, my point still stands for the people who were able to apply in 2019, but weren't able to do so in 2020 - by the same logic of "people waiting the longest", the people applied in 2019 would have waited longer than people applied in 2020.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry that's wrong. The income requirements for sponsoring families have been affected drastically due to the effects of the pandemic (see: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14). Also, my point still stands for the people who were able to apply in 2019, but weren't able to do so in 2020 - by the same logic of "people waiting the longest", the people applied in 2019 would have waited longer than people applied in 2020.
I'm not sure what you mean by all of this. IRCC lowered LICO in response to COVID. This is well known. You can clearly see that from table in the link you provided above. If you didn't meet the income requirements despite the lowered income levels, then you didn't meet them.

My comments regarding the 3 years still stands. You wouldn't just not qualify for one year. You would not qualify for at least 3 years if you missed meeting the income requirement for 1 year.

As others have explained above, by sticking with the 2020 pool and not allowing new entries, IRCC is giving that group preference vs. those who qualified more recently.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue any futher. I have no horse in this race.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So complain to the government about it. You are arguing with members of a volunteer forum who offer advice but have no clout to change government policy.

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
That scenario doesn't hold water. If someone doesn't meet the income criterial for one year, this would knock then out of qualifying as a sponsor for three years (unless they happen to live in Quebec) - not just one year. If someone didn't qualify for the first time based on income in 2020 (presumably the issue would have been their 2019 income), then they wouldn't have qualified in 2021 and 2022 either. Also, if they had entered and been selected in a previous year (e.g. 2018) but then failed to maintain the required level of income in 2019, the application would have been at high risk of refusal.

One of the very basic criteria of qualifying as a sponsor is meeting the income requirements for three years in a row and then maintaining that income while the application is sponsored. Failing to meet the income requirements for one single year makes you ineligible to sponsor for multiple years.
I had to let go my In-laws file because i could qualify to sponsor only my parents , now me and my wife both working hard to make sure next time when pool open we qualify for 2 more ( her parents ) , If we do not meet income we are out . One bad year can knock's out . That income rule was already there well before this lottery system was introduce . I got PR in 2012 and i was able to bring my parents this year .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had to let go my In-laws file because i could qualify to sponsor only my parents , now me and my wife both working hard to make sure next time when pool open we qualify for 2 more ( her parents ) , If we do not meet income we are out . One bad year can knock's out . That income rule was already there well before this lottery system was introduce .
Good luck!

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by all of this. IRCC lowered LICO in response to COVID. This is well known. You can clearly see that from table in the link you provided above. If you didn't meet the income requirements despite the lowered income levels, then you didn't meet them.

My comments regarding the 3 years still stands. You wouldn't just not qualify for one year. You would not qualify for at least 3 years if you missed meeting the income requirement for 1 year.

As others have explained above, by sticking with the 2020 pool and not allowing new entries, IRCC is giving that group preference vs. those who qualified more recently.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue any futher. I have no horse in this race.
I respect your opinion and this is the last point I am going to make as well. Note the link I've shared stated the income required when one is "invited to apply", then by definition the people being invited this year will need to demonstrate income in 2020, 2021 and 2022. However, for the people who shown interest back in 2020, the mindset would be to have eligible income in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

For context, I was jobless for months in late 2016 and early 2017 and I had to move to another city in Canada to find work. I have since have bounced back to the income I made before and even more, but due to that blimp, I didn't apply in 2020 and that has costed me dearly.

Again, you can disagree, but I am just stating facts.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
I had to let go my In-laws file because i could qualify to sponsor only my parents , now me and my wife both working hard to make sure next time when pool open we qualify for 2 more ( her parents ) , If we do not meet income we are out . One bad year can knock's out . That income rule was already there well before this lottery system was introduce . I got PR in 2012 and i was able to bring my parents this year .
I understand! Read my last comment.

Reactions: dpatel08

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I respect your opinion and this is the last point I am going to make as well. Note the link I've shared stated the income required when one is "invited to apply", then by definition the people being invited this year will need to demonstrate income in 2020, 2021 and 2022. However, for the people who shown interest back in 2020, the mindset would be to have eligible income in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

For context, I was jobless for months in late 2016 and early 2017 and I had to move to another city in Canada to find work. I have since have bounced back to the income I made before and even more, but due to that blimp, I didn't apply in 2020 and that has costed me dearly.

Again, you can disagree, but I am just stating facts.
The income and PGP requirements are published so you (and/or your spouse if married) did have the ability to take on a second job to make sure your met LICO even with a job loss that meant your went through a short period of unemployment. Going through a short period of unemployment due to a job loss or for other reasons like a short illness/injury is not uncommon. Also fairly common for families to have a reduced income for 1-2 years due to things like maternity leave. When people know they want to try and sponsor their parents they monitor their income and make lifestyle adjustments if at all possible in order to make sure that their family income will be above LICO. In some cases it is will not be possible to meet LICO if you are unable to work due to serious illness or must be a caregiver to someone else with a serious health issue but given that LICO is relatively low given cost of living many are able to make-up any temporary period of unemployment. The income needed to meet LICO is incredibly low and in most parts of Canada you could not support your family and parents on the income needed to sponsor. Requiring people to meet such a low income requirement and will be able to weather any other periods of employment is a pretty low standard. I can only imagine that many families applying for PGP or who have received PGP are also using foodbanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Long story short Immigration is vert stressful process :/
It also isn’t guaranteed especially parent sponsorship and there is no time frame if you selected for sponsorship. Many also need to understand that most countries don’t allow any parent or grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare so the fact that Canada allows any amount is better than most other countries. I know many would prefer a larger quota or even unlimited parent/grandparent sponsorship but Canada is allowing a larger amount of parent and grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare than most other countries while also have a lower number of hospital beds per capita and physicians per capita than most other OECD countries. Many are under the false impression that you will be able to actually sponsor your parents 3 years after moving to Canada or as soon as you get PR if you have been living in Canada longterm. Realistically it takes much longer if you do actually get selected and are able to get approved. The processing times can also be many years. IRCC should be upfront and clarify that although you may qualify to apply for PGP after 3 years (1 year in Quebec) if you meet LICO most wait much longer than that and some never get selected.

Reactions: CEC_1304