+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all,

This might be a basic question but I still want to confirm and make sure I don't miss anything.

My mother had come to Canada in Jul 2023 on tourist visa and her return was planned on end of Jan 2024 as per 6 month guidelines. But she has got her PR approved just few days back and she has got the eCOPR but not the PR card yet. Can she now continue to stay after 6 months completion? Is there a need to inform IRCC or anyone that she has received the PR visa and so now she is not planning to return from Canada on the date as informed before.

Thanks in advance.
When she got her eCOPR, she has "landed" as a PR in Canada. She can (and should plan to) stay in Canada. The virutal landing to obtain the eCOPR (assuming you've done the 2 portal emails/responses) is from IRCC. You do not need to "inform" IRCC for her update.

Also she doesn't need to let IRCC on her travel plan. Until she gets her PR card, she cannot return to Canada via commerical vehicle. (If she decided to travel outside before she gets her PR card, some ppl do that).

Reactions: techie85

BienCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vancouver
AOR Received.
23-03-2023
No update since sponsorship approval. Vancouver office is super slow.
Wish they had their act much more organized. Anyways can't blame them, the whole IRCC department in a way should be accountable. If they see different service standards across offices they should know Vancouver is sub-par on PGP applications.. What on earth takes so long for approving applications of 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 yr olds...indefinite background check cycles for seniors? Most of the folks it seems have not received any medical or PCC requests it seems from the Vancouver office. By the way temporary travel visas timeline has gone down from several months after pandemic to merely 4 weeks now. So does not seem IRCC has resource challenge. It just means what they have deprioritized... The PGP program.

Lucifer Yang

Feb 27, 2017
Wish they had their act much more organized. Anyways can't blame them, the whole IRCC department in a way should be accountable. If they see different service standards across offices they should know Vancouver is sub-par on PGP applications.. What on earth takes so long for approving applications of 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 yr olds...indefinite background check cycles for seniors? Most of the folks it seems have not received any medical or PCC requests it seems from the Vancouver office. By the way temporary travel visas timeline has gone down from several months after pandemic to merely 4 weeks now. So does not seem IRCC has resource challenge. It just means what they have deprioritized... The PGP program.
Do you know why? Because young people are here to spend money, consume, and pay taxes. While older people are here to enjoy benefit only. If it were up to you, how would you prioritize?

BienCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vancouver
AOR Received.
23-03-2023
Do you know why? Because young people are here to spend money, consume, and pay taxes. While older people are here to enjoy benefit only. If it were up to you, how would you prioritize?
And delaying the process by a year or so will save a lot? What you have mentioned is already controlled by how many applicants are allowed for PGP every year.
I would prioritize by clearing at least 90 to 95% applications of an earlier intake year before processing the next year applicants. What instead is going to happen is that Mississauga will start working on 2023 applicants while Vancouver is sleeping on 2022 applicants. Which wouldn't reflect fair service standards for all. Secondly, resources of immigration processing should be proportionately distributed amongst the programs to have a more consistent variation across time periods in service standards for all offices and programs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is what I did after eCopr. Did a walk-in to the nearest Service Canada for SIN next morning. Got the SIN within 1hr. Then drove up to RBC got bank accounts. Also got a printout of the debit card with the address and RBC stamp on it. Took 30 mins for the whole process.

Service ontario was in the same mall, so walked-in they accepted the RBC document for address proof and issued the OHIP paper health card. Took 45 mins as theres a form to fill in.

Then drove to our family doctor, added parents to same doctor and scheduled appointment for general checkup. Simultaniously added parents to insurance for drug coverage, vision and dental. All done same day by noon.
You can’t add parents to your extended benefits plan.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am curious on what extended benefits plans will allow to add parents. Someone did ask this question in an HR session and Sunlife's respond was NO.

May be he mean purchasing extended health insurnace privately (I think some self employed people do that)

hcyrusr

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY - NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-02-2014
Med's Request
12-03-2014
Med's Done....
20-03-2014
I got a Pre-Arrival Letter for my parents Oct 14th and nothing since then, got the GCMS notes, nothing useful in it, the security page is redacted due to Privacy act which is stupid. No indication of anything in the GCMS

katezhu

Star Member
Mar 7, 2023
I got a Pre-Arrival Letter for my parents Oct 14th and nothing since then, got the GCMS notes, nothing useful in it, the security page is redacted due to Privacy act which is stupid. No indication of anything in the GCMS
My parents' case was stopped on Oct 26, 2023 (sent updated resumes). They passed medical exams on Oct 20, 2023.

My Dad had several years of military services more than 50 years ago. I called IRCC and they said my parents' case is in security assessment, criminality assessment and eligibility assessment. Those assessments are all in process. They also told me that security assessment was sent to the third party to do the checking.

I think our cases are similar. They are in security check, which takes 6 months to 9 months for PGP (from online data). Some cases take more than one year to clear.

Reactions: copy

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018

May be your employment doesnt allow that. I work for a firm that not only fully pays for my immediate family's benefits, but allows me to add extended family members for a small added charge and it applies to pet care well. My HR took a while to work with the service provider to sort it out, so I had to start a new thread asking for directions and got your blessing there as well. So thanks for the attention.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
May be your employment doesnt allow that. I work for a firm that not only fully pays for my immediate family's benefits, but allows me to add extended family members for a small added charge and it applies to pet care well. My HR took a while to work with the service provider to sort it out, so I had to start a new thread asking for directions and got your blessing there as well. So thanks for the attention.
Extremely unusual and my not continue if your parents use the benefits plan at a rate as high or higher than other holders. Benefit plans are reviewed annually and makes very little sense to be able to add extended family especially at low cost.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Mine for sure doesn't. We are switching provider and at one of the Q&A session, someone asked the exact question. The answer was a firm NO.
You are very lucky to get this nice benefit package that allows extended family to your plan.