+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Not unless your parents have a job offer with approved LMIA that proves no Canadian or PR could be hired, only your parents. Then with LMIA, your parents apply for a closed work permit. They need to show experience to do the job so they need employment letters, possibly ECA for education and IELTS.
I’ve heard there are some types of LMIA exempt work permits too?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are - but none specifically for parents / grandparents.

Generally to qualify for an LMIA exempt work permit, you need to have a specialization and be taking up a job in a specific occupation. For example, there are some LMIA exempt options if you are going to be teaching at a university. Sometimes the location where they will be working can also make a difference (e.g. rural Quebec). Another example is if they are going to be working outside of Quebec but the job they are taking is going to be in French (obviously they would need to be fluent in French for this to be possible) and the job is skill level A, B or 0.

Full list of LMIA exemptions are below. Note that they will still need a job offer from an employer in an occupation that qualifies as LMIA exempt. They cannot apply for an open work permit. You'll need to dedicate time to researching what's available that might fit them (and then secure the right job offer to make the work permit possible).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes.html

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are they from a country with a FTA with Canada and in a professional designation? Are your parents PhDs that can apply for post doc positions? Are they working for a company that has offices in Canada, and can apply for a company transfer based on their skills? Those types of jobs are LMIA exempt but employer still needs to file for LMIA exemption.

Reactions: Aspiring Canadian

sameer19

Star Member
Mar 12, 2022
Link to Tracker: https://sites.google.com/view/pgp2019/pgp-2022

Please share your current timeline in below format to be added to the tracker or fill the form on the above link:

Sponsored Person:
Parents Country of Citizenship:
Your Province:
Invitation Date:
Application Submitted Date:
Sponsored person - sam
Parent country of citizenship - India
Your Province - Ontario
Invitation Date - 13th oct 2022
Application Submitted Date - 25th Nov 2022

Reactions: deryk.rodrigues

ACD

Jul 22, 2019
Hi, I am ready to submit the parents application and in the last section of the guide 5772 says to include all the pages of the passport. So does this mean that I have to scan all blank pages of my parents passports?

"Passports
  • Copies of passports for people being sponsored should include all the pages.
  • Copies of the sponsor’s and co-signer’s passport should include the pages showing the passport number, issue and expiry dates, photo, name, surname, and place and date of birth.
  • You don’t need to get translations for the stamps in passports."

immg.applicant

Oct 8, 2020
Hi, I am ready to submit the parents application and in the last section of the guide 5772 says to include all the pages of the passport. So does this mean that I have to scan all blank pages of my parents passports?

"Passports
  • Copies of the sponsor’s and co-signer’s passport should include the pages showing the passport number, issue and expiry dates, photo, name, surname, and place and date of birth.
Yes, all the pages, including the blank ones.
If your parents have any expired passports, include those as well and mention it in the letter of explanation.

Reactions: YVR123

sameer19

Star Member
Mar 12, 2022

"Passports
Yes you have to also scan blank pages.

Reactions: ACD

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
When I copy and paste on PDF form that doesn’t display words. It shows only dark dots.
thats weird , I do not remember pasting them to PDF , IMM 1344 , 5476 , 5768 does not required name in Native language . and the WebForm IMM 5406 and 5669 do require name in native language but they work just fine when we tried to do copy paste from Google translate .
I do not recall putting name in native language in any PDF file , All i remember is putting in only WebForm .

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
There are - but none specifically for parents / grandparents.

Generally to qualify for an LMIA exempt work permit, you need to have a specialization and be taking up a job in a specific occupation. For example, there are some LMIA exempt options if you are going to be teaching at a university. Sometimes the location where they will be working can also make a difference (e.g. rural Quebec). Another example is if they are going to be working outside of Quebec but the job they are taking is going to be in French (obviously they would need to be fluent in French for this to be possible) and the job is skill level A, B or 0.

Full list of LMIA exemptions are below. Note that they will still need a job offer from an employer in an occupation that qualifies as LMIA exempt. They cannot apply for an open work permit. You'll need to dedicate time to researching what's available that might fit them (and then secure the right job offer to make the work permit possible).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes.html
Thank you. I think I need a good lawyer/ consultant that has experience with this kind of situation. I’m sure there’s positions to be filled where an employer needs help. It’s a win win for my parents and the potential employer.

Reactions: scylla

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Are they from a country with a FTA with Canada and in a professional designation? Are your parents PhDs that can apply for post doc positions? Are they working for a company that has offices in Canada, and can apply for a company transfer based on their skills? Those types of jobs are LMIA exempt but employer still needs to file for LMIA exemption.
Thank you for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. I think I need a good lawyer/ consultant that has experience with this kind of situation. I’m sure there’s positions to be filled where an employer needs help. It’s a win win for my parents and the potential employer.
The one last piece of advice I have to provide is to make sure the job being offered aligns to their past work experience / education. If it's totally unrelated, IRCC will often refuse the work permit. So you want to search for something that makes sense.

Reactions: Aspiring Canadian

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
The one last piece of advice I have to provide is to make sure the job being offered aligns to their past work experience / education. If it's totally unrelated, IRCC will often refuse the work permit. So you want to search for something that makes sense.
thank you. Hoping to find something that will be interesting for my parents and help them integrate into Canadian society. This will also be good as they’ll be able to get provincial health coverage and entry/exit privileges from Canada without having to be worried about an interview at the border every time they travel(as is the case with the supervisa).

the supervisa in my opinion is a very poorly designed policy especially from a healthcare angle.