+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
My mother do not remember date of birth of her sister and brother and we cannot contact them, can I just do guess work?
on the immigration site ,hope it can help
What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it?
If you don’t know the complete date, or if it’s in the 1800s, enter 1900 in the space for the unknown year, and 01 for the month or day. This will let you validate the form.
You should also attach a letter of explanation that says why you don’t have the information needed to fill in the complete date.

Reactions: YVR123

Meenubarpagga

Oct 27, 2017
on the immigration site ,hope it can help
What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it?
If you don’t know the complete date, or if it’s in the 1800s, enter 1900 in the space for the unknown year, and 01 for the month or day. This will let you validate the form.
You should also attach a letter of explanation that says why you don’t have the information needed to fill in the complete date.
Thanks really appreciate it

serjul

Oct 30, 2022
I am a Canadian Citizen, but not by birth. I have a valid Canadian passport but I am confused if I still need to provide details from the Canadian Citizenship Certificate in the forms?

sparknotes

Star Member
Jul 5, 2011
Ottawa
AOR Received.
23-05-2018
This is so BS that the people who did not apply in 2020 are not able to apply for 2 years in a row - 2021 and 2022, absolutely BS

Ruhi123

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
Hi, can I keep my mother as pricipal applicant, though both are retired, however my dad gets pension and he is literate. I prefer my Mother as Principal, as her name is exactly same in her and my passport, but my Dad's name in his passport is Abdur and in my passport and school leaving and all my documents by mistake is says Abdul, I got OCI, My PR, My moms visit visa, citizenship and passport all with this one letter spelling difference, any suggestions for PGP application would be helpful.
Appreciate any help regarding above.

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
If a person is sponsoring her parents (e.g. father, a principal applicant, and mother, dependent spouse). In case the sponsor wants to represent her parents, she has to fill IMM5476 Use of Representative. In such a case, the sponsor sign in Section 8 and In section 10, father signs, as the applicant, and mother signs as the spouse right?

The form says "Signature of spouse or common-law partner for sponsorship application" in this case father is not sponsoring the mother .. so bit confuse :(

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
I am a Canadian Citizen, but not by birth. I have a valid Canadian passport but I am confused if I still need to provide details from the Canadian Citizenship Certificate in the forms?
I did not remember which information i provided during the interest to sponsor form so i included both ( Passport and Citizenship Cert ) , If i am not worng it did ask to put the Citizenship certificate number but i am not 100% sure . Ground rule is you need to provide the proof of document that you provided during submission of the interest to sponsor form back in 2020 . If you have both then i would recommend to include both .

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
If a person is sponsoring her parents (e.g. father, a principal applicant, and mother, dependent spouse). In case the sponsor wants to represent her parents, she has to fill IMM5476 Use of Representative. In such a case, the sponsor sign in Section 8 and In section 10, father signs, as the applicant, and mother signs as the spouse right?

The form says "Signature of spouse or common-law partner for sponsorship application" in this case father is not sponsoring the mother .. so bit confuse :(
Section 10 - Signature of Applicant should have your Fathers Name ( As per passport ) Its digital Signature .
Section 10 - Signature of Spouse should have your mothers name ( As per Passport) its digital Signature .
Section 8 - Must have your signature if you are their representative ( Digital Signature - name as per passport )

Look at the document check list , its clearly says that this form has a digital signature . Also it does allow us to type the name ( Technically parents should type their name )

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
Appreciate any help regarding above.
One Affidavit should be good enough , My dad name on his passport is different than birth certificate so I had to get Affidavit done , In India its quick and easy . I don't see any problem if you keep your mom as principal applicant but lets see what others has to say .

serjul

Oct 30, 2022
I did not remember which information I provided during the interest to sponsor form so i included both ( Passport and Citizenship Cert ) , If i am not worng it did ask to put the Citizenship certificate number but i am not 100% sure . Ground rule is you need to provide the proof of document that you provided during submission of the interest to sponsor form back in 2020 . If you have both then i would recommend to include both .
Thank you. I only have the passport and do not have the Canadian citizenship certificate (cannot find it and I might have to apply for a new one and sounds like a long process). I just used the passport when I submitted my application. So, I can just provide the passport details and leave the part where it asks for Canadian Citizenship Number empty in the form?

Aryan2015

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
Hi Folks, Thanks again for all the support. I am into completing the application now. I have two road blockers,

1) I do not have a birth certificate, it was optional when I submitted my PR application
2) My parents don't have a marriage certificate. But they are married for the past 39yrs

Any advice is greatly appreciated
I have the same issue like yours. Did you find any alternative solutions?

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
Section 10 - Signature of Applicant should have your Fathers Name ( As per passport ) Its digital Signature .
Section 10 - Signature of Spouse should have your mothers name ( As per Passport) its digital Signature .
Section 8 - Must have your signature if you are their representative ( Digital Signature - name as per passport )

Look at the document check list , its clearly says that this form has a digital signature . Also it does allow us to type the name ( Technically parents should type their name )
Agreed ... I am just confused by the statement ""Signature of spouse or common-law partner for sponsorship application" in section 10. As the mother is not being sponsored by the father. Anyway, your reply is consistent with my understanding as well. Thanks for putting your thought :)

Reactions: dpatel08

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
Thank you. I only have the passport and do not have the Canadian citizenship certificate (cannot find it and I might have to apply for a new one and sounds like a long process). I just used the passport when I submitted my application. So, I can just provide the passport details and leave the part where it asks for Canadian Citizenship Number empty in the form?
Document check List has mentioned you need to submit Passport or Citizenship Cert , So i think in your case you can submit only passport and may be write in letter of explanation that you have also applied to get a copy of Citizenship Cert just in case . Unless you are 100% sure that you never provided citizenship number when you fill out that invitation form in 2020 then you do not need to provide letter of explanation , only passport is fine . :)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks a lot!

I (sponsor) and my brother are the only two children. I have few follow up questions; online application descriptions are really confusing.

IMM 0008 - Do I need to add myself and/or my brother in Dependents section? While the section is titled as Dependent, the description is really confusing.
IMM 5406 - Do I need to add details for myself (sponsor) and/or my brother?
IMM 0008 - NO. Because you are both over 22 and are NOT dependents (look at definition of dependents on IRCC website)
IMM 5406 - YES. put all children of PA in IMM 5406 and if PA has a spouse/common law partner, fill in another 5406 and if you and your brother are also the spouse's children, enter that information in the spouse's IMM 5406 as well.