+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you are correct and the (2020-Unqualified) applicant never received an ITA in 2020. For PGP IRCC 'DOES NOT FOLLOW A FCFS POLICY', emphasizing this point because, the (2020-Unqualified) applicant only GOT INTO THE POOL in 2020, IRCC has every right to not sent an ITA in 2020, which IRCC didnt and the selection criteria is a total grey area. Now in 2022 the said applicant is fully qualified and receives an ITA.

Same as applicants in Express Entry pool who redo IELTS and update their profile, gain more points under the same profile and receive ITA. So ideally that applicant would have never qualified for that ITA draw at the time he/she entered the pool.
You can’t compare EE pool and PGP pool. If you update your scores while in the EE pool you haven’t qualified yet to be selected for PR. For PGP 2020 you needed to meet LICO for 2017, 2018 or 2019. People who followed the instructions and didn’t meet LICO for all or either 2017,2018 and 2019 didn’t apply and have missed out on3 years of draws. Although you never qualified and didn’t follow the application instructions in 2020 you’ve benefited from being included in all of these draws. Yes IRCC could look back and exclude you for never qualifying to be included in the 2020 pool and therefore not qualifying for the 2022 draw.

You immigrated in December 2018 and never qualified to apply!!!

tam_ngo

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
You can’t compare EE pool and PGP pool. If you update your scores while in the EE pool you haven’t qualified yet to be selected for PR. For PGP 2020 you needed to meet LICO for 2017, 2018 or 2019. People who followed the instructions and didn’t meet LICO for all or either 2017,2018 and 2019 didn’t apply and have missed out on3 years of draws. Although you never qualified and didn’t follow the application instructions in 2020 you’ve benefited from being included in all of these draws. Yes IRCC could look back and exclude you for never qualifying to be included in the 2020 pool and therefore not qualifying for the 2022 draw.

You immigrated in December 2018 and never qualified to apply!!!
If that the case, then I think the pool might shrink significantly every year, cuz they will keep adding more years to be qualified for sponsor's incomes or at least it's my wishful thinking.

Last edited:

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
Unfortunately that is why IRCC sends out 23K invitations and accept up to 15k…so many people are not even eligible and just submit an EOI because they think that the requirements will not apply to them.
If that the case, then I think the pool might shrink significantly every year, cuz they will keep adding more years to be qualified for sponsor's incomes.
spot on.
I see the gap (%wise) is decreasing. this year is 15K(65%) out of 23K invited. Last year is 30k(85%) out of 35K. I don't remember the first draw in 2020, but higher than 65% for sure. IRCC did the math.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If that the case, then I think the pool might shrink significantly every year, cuz they will keep adding more years to be qualified for sponsor's incomes or at least it's my wishful thinking.
That was the point. They were trying to give preference for those who have met LICO since 2017.

Reactions: tam_ngo

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
I know many people may have asked but I still need to put here as this year everything online, the old guide may not be applicable.
I am a primary sponsor, co-signed with my husband for my parents, I have a younger sister, adult, working, divorced in home country will not come.
My questions:
1. 0008 form: Do I need add my sister and myself?
2. 5406 form: Do I need add my sister and myself?
3. 5669 form: Do I need add my sister?

If someone has submitted the application online and also confirmed please let me know. As some forms are used for both sponsoring SPOUSE and PGP purposes, they may be interpreted differently.
The forms you are asking for, 0008, 5406 and 5669 are all for PR application. So they are only for those who want to apply for PR. Based on your description your sister is not a dependant and can not be included in the "PR" application. And you're already PR/citizen. Only your mother is eligible as a spouse to PA, your father.

No

No. but you both appear in your parents' forms under "children"

No.

A little off the topic:
PGP is a two-stage process. Sponsor (and co-signer) apply for sponsor eligibility. Then parents apply for PR. There might be a slight overlap of the two during the process, but generally sponsor should get approved first. (Not talking about quebec applicants, that's a different process.) Nonetheless IRCC want to see all forms submitted at once, and this creates some confusion as who is the applicant? I almost never see IRCC refer to the sponsor as "applicant", even on 1344 the sponsor is still "sponsor" while parent is under "principle applicant". So when you see anywhere in the guide that the "applicant" need to sign or submit on behalf of dependent, it is 99% the parent(PA).

Reactions: jessiezhai

AG1ez

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
Well the 2022 invitations process is done. Good luck to all the ones that received invitations. For the rest of us let's hope we get invited next year or the process changes to a more fair and predictable process.

AG1ez

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
Reactions: tam_ngo

dpatel08

Aug 15, 2017
That was the point. They were trying to give preference for those who have met LICO since 2017.
May be i am not getting the point you are trying to say , I think CIC do not have ability to see the eligibility until forms are submitted . by just looking at pool they do not know if that person is qualified or not until they submit the the application also they are not looking at the 2017 income if you submit the file in 2022 , when some one submit application they only look at previous 3 year income so if you apply today they will look at 2021 , 2020 and 2019 income only even if the interest to sponsor form was submitted in 2020

tam_ngo

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
May be i am not getting the point you are trying to say , I think CIC do not have ability to see the eligibility until forms are submitted . by just looking at pool they do not know if that person is qualified or not until they submit the the application also they are not looking at the 2017 income if you submit the file in 2022 , when some one submit application they only look at previous 3 year income so if you apply today they will look at 2021 , 2020 and 2019 income only even if the interest to sponsor form was submitted in 2020
That's is correct. CIC wont have ability to see the applicant's eligibility until all forms are submitted. However, on one of the form they will ask you to grant them your authorization so they can access your incomes from CRA department. Of course you can deny giving them their access, then they will just simply request you to give them your tax report papers. And this will depends on them, they might ask for only 2021, 2020 and 2019 or they might ask all the way back to 2017. No one really know what their real process is, everything we discuss here are just assumptions based on limited facts. In general, if you pass the process for the sponsor, they will move on to process the sponsored (your parents). If you don't pass the process for the sponsors they will reject your whole application right there.

sch93

Star Member
Oct 15, 2022
The forms you are asking for, 0008, 5406 and 5669 are all for PR application. So they are only for those who want to apply for PR. Based on your description your sister is not a dependant and can not be included in the "PR" application. And you're already PR/citizen. Only your mother is eligible as a spouse to PA, your father.

No

No. but you both appear in your parents' forms under "children"

No.

A little off the topic:
PGP is a two-stage process. Sponsor (and co-signer) apply for sponsor eligibility. Then parents apply for PR. There might be a slight overlap of the two during the process, but generally sponsor should get approved first. (Not talking about quebec applicants, that's a different process.) Nonetheless IRCC want to see all forms submitted at once, and this creates some confusion as who is the applicant? I almost never see IRCC refer to the sponsor as "applicant", even on 1344 the sponsor is still "sponsor" while parent is under "principle applicant". So when you see anywhere in the guide that the "applicant" need to sign or submit on behalf of dependent, it is 99% the parent(PA).
I am confused about the using the online permanent residency portal, and would appreciate guidance on the following:

- should I use the primary applicant (my dad) email address or mine used in 2020 interest to sponsor form for the portal set-up?
- my understanding is that the sponsor forms will be uploaded in the same online application of my parents. Is this correct or do I need to create a separate application for sponsor (myself)?
- when should I link the application to IRCC account?
- can both me (sponsor) and my dad (primary applicant) link the application to respective IRCC accounts?

Thanks in advance.

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
That's is correct. CIC wont have ability to see the applicant's eligibility until all forms are submitted. However, on one of the form they will ask you to grant them your authorization so they can access your incomes from CRA department. Of course you can deny giving them their access, then they will just simply request you to give them your tax report papers. And this will depends on them, they might ask for only 2021, 2020 and 2019 or they might ask all the way back to 2017. No one really know what their real process is, everything we discuss here are just assumptions based on limited facts. In general, if you pass the process for the sponsor, they will move on to process the sponsored (your parents). If you don't pass the process for the sponsors they will reject your whole application right there.
I am qualified since my initial entry into the pool and I just submitted my application after invite. The application asks for 2019, 2020 and 2021 tax returns. Lets assume the alternate logic is correct and IRCC should lock the profile in 2020 and only for the then 3 yrs tax returns (2017,18,19) asking for 2021 and 2022 makes it a 5 yr income assessment, which is not a process documented nor followed at IRCC. PGP is not FCFS (atleast between 2020-2022)

IMM5748e is the form, kindly see for yourself. Few advices here are based on their gut feeling I guess.

Last edited: