+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Who should be included in the sponsorship application?
The application should include

• the principal applicant who is being sponsored as a parent or grandparent of the sponsor
  • the principal applicant’s spouse (even if separated) or common-law partner
  • the principal applicant’s dependent children from current and previous relationships, whether they are coming to Canada or not
  • the dependent children of the principal applicant’s spouse or common-law partner
  • the dependent children of any dependent children included on the application
All the dependent family members, whether accompanying the principal applicant to Canada or not, must be declared on the application and be examined. If family members are not examined, it is not possible to sponsor them at a later date. This includes children in the custody of a former spouse or common-law partner.

In addition, failure to declare dependent family members on the application and have them examined goes against the duty to provide truthful and accurate information, and may cause them to be found inadmissible to Canada.

Note: In the case of a principal applicant who is separated from their spouse, the principal applicant’s separated spouse is considered a “family member”, as per paragraph R1(3)(a), since they are still legally married until they are divorced. However, it should be noted that there could be situations in which subparagraph R5(b)(ii), which details excluded relationships, applies to a foreign national (i.e. the principal applicant). A separated spouse of a foreign national must be counted for the calculation of the MNI unless the spouse has lived separate from the foreign national for at least one year and is the common-law partner of another person. For clarity, either the foreign national (i.e. the principal applicant) or their separated spouse may be the common-law partner of another person.
And?

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
Hi there, I sponsored my mom & Dad ( Oct 2020 Draw) & they got their PR in March 2022 . My dad was principal applicant and mom was accompanying dependent. But have mentioned my brother's details in the application ( just name /Address /Dob) that's it. He is 35yr old married and settled in Dubai. Only parents need to go through medicals, biometric, PCC etcc.
Thanks a lot for the reply. It really helped. One quick question though, when they asked to scan all the page of passports, does that mean blank pages, notice, notes as well or just pages with bio information, visas, stamps, etc?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I got initiation to sponsor my mother but the invite pdf mentions my spouse name. Not sure if that is ok. He will be my co-sponsor.

Thanks
H
If your husband go selected he can sponsor his parents. If the application where you were the primary applicant had been selected then you could apply for your parents. Did you and your husband both apply to sponsor parents?

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
Thanks a lot for the reply. It really helped. One quick question though, when they asked to scan all the page of passports, does that mean blank pages, notice, notes as well or just pages with bio information, visas, stamps, etc?
You only need to provide pages with anything meaningful, visas, entry stamps, amendments etc. That's what I did and no complaints from IRCC.
I saw your post in another thread so might just answer it here:
For multiple passport holders, stick to ONE. Use this passport throughout the PR application and make sure it's not expiring in 6 months.
Also if they hold a passport from a visa exempt country, use that one will save a little trouble at the end. When the passport request comes, they don't need to submit the passport to stamp, just a photocopy of the info page.

Reactions: happyCanadian

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can't tell you how many heartbreaks i have gone through in this process. Every year i would see people on this forum say that they got approval in their first or second attempt. And here I was waiting for so many years. Felt so helpless and dumb.

Last year in March I had a chance meeting MP Sukh Dhaliwal who sits on the advisory board of IRCC. I told him about this problem of old applicants waiting while new applicants were getting lucky. I suggested that they deal with old applications first.

So last year when they invited from pool of old applications ( I think my suggestion had something to do with it) and that too in such a huge number, I was really hopeful. But again, I did not get an invitation. I gave up all hope.

Finally got the invitation this year.

I know its hard for new applicants to wait to just get into the pool, but please understand there are people who have been waiting before you for a number of years.
IRCC was set to make an announcement regarding PGP in March 2020 but then Covid hit. I assume they were going to somehow give preference to those who had applied numerous times or lived in Canada the longest or other criteria. Once the lottery was brought in after many petitions and complaints, people who didn’t get selected realized that many would get PGP on their first attempt. People realized they didn’t like the lottery system and wanted to change to another system. There was an attempt at FIFO but that was a disaster. The new complaints and petitions have been to create a system that rewards the people who have lived, worked, applied for PGP the longest. I’m sure eventually a new policy will be announced but this was a quick way to kind of select those who had qualified the longest.

Heli darji

Apr 29, 2019
You only need to provide pages with anything meaningful, visas, entry stamps, amendments etc. That's what I did and no complaints from IRCC.
I saw your post in another thread so might just answer it here:
For multiple passport holders, stick to ONE. Use this passport throughout the PR application and make sure it's not expiring in 6 months.
Also if they hold a passport from a visa exempt country, use that one will save a little trouble at the end. When the passport request comes, they don't need to submit the passport to stamp, just a photocopy of the info page.
sorry to correct you here little bit on CIC website mention as under:

Passports
  • Copies of passports for people being sponsored should include all the pages.
  • Copies of the sponsor’s and co-signer’s passport should include the pages showing the passport number, issue and expiry dates, photo, name, surname, and place and date of birth.
  • You don’t need to get translations for the stamps in passports.

jagannath

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Hi All,

I applied intent to sponsor my mom and similarly, my wife showed intent to sponsor her mom.
Both of us got the invite to sponsor our parent yesterday . So I need to show income for 4 people.

We both have good salaries now and get a combined income of $135000/yr now, which is way above the expected LICO. But only in 2019, the income is less by required 4000$(See in RED).

In there any way my application for mom & mother-in-law, with my wife as co-signer be accepted.

I didn't expect both of them to get the invite at the same time. Kindly help with your suggestions!!

Thanks in advance!

Myself(Sponsor)Wife(Co-signer)Total Income(Sponsor+Co-signer)Required Income
42000​
45383.7​
87383.7​
49106​
53472.94​
27710.58​
81183.5​
48167​
21269.93​
36193.97​

lovethysid

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Hi Guys,

I submitted my Interest to Sponsor form in October 2020 and got my invitation to apply today.I had given up on this totally and it took me by surprise!

I have an issue. I don’t remember if i had submitted the interest to sponsor both my parents or just one of them. Can you please let me know what my options are to find this out?

jagannath

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Hi Guys,

I submitted my Interest to Sponsor form in October 2020 and got my invitation to apply today.I had given up on this totally and it took me by surprise!

I have an issue. I don’t remember if i had submitted the interest to sponsor both my parents or just one of them. Can you please let me know what my options are to find this out?
You can sponsor both of your parents with the same invite.