+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grand Parents Sponsorship- PGP- 2020/2021- can i work in USA?

techCan21

Dec 8, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I have sponsored my parents on 2021. Recently, I have got an opportunity work with USA based company through Canadian agency on TN VISA. So, Income will be in $CAD

1. My first question is: will there be any issue if I relocate there with my spouse?

Also , in this case , my spouse as co-signer, will also relocate with me. Even after that, I will be maintaining the minimum income requirement.

2. Second, If company allow me to commute daily. will there be any issue? Still, I am getting paid in CAD.

3. Third, if company allow me to come back to Canada in every other month for few days , will it be helpful in order to show that Canada is our primary residence.

Please provide your suggestion and your thought.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You can work for a US employer if you can continue to live in Canada.
But from what you've posted, it looks like you have to move and physically work in the US.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have sponsored my parents on 2021. Recently, I have got an opportunity work with USA based company through Canadian agency on TN VISA. So, Income will be in $CAD

1. My first question is: will there be any issue if I relocate there with my spouse?

Also , in this case , my spouse as co-signer, will also relocate with me. Even after that, I will be maintaining the minimum income requirement.

2. Second, If company allow me to commute daily. will there be any issue? Still, I am getting paid in CAD.

3. Third, if company allow me to come back to Canada in every other month for few days , will it be helpful in order to show that Canada is our primary residence.

Please provide your suggestion and your thought.
If you are working via a TN visa you aren't working in Canada. Very strange that you'd be paid in CAD. You could just work in Canada as a contactor. The whole point of PGP is family reunification and that at least the sponsoring children will be paying into the tax base.

techCan21

Dec 8, 2019
You can work for a US employer if you can continue to live in Canada.
But from what you've posted, it looks like you have to move and physically work in the US.
Yes , company is emphasis on moving to US based site location. But I asked them as well on rest of two option I have mentioned above. And tehy are thinking on that as well. I am just trying to find out that in any of above circumstances will my sponsorship be affected?

techCan21

Dec 8, 2019
If you are working via a TN visa you aren't working in Canada. Very strange that you'd be paid in CAD. You could just work in Canada as a contactor. The whole point of PGP is family reunification and that at least the sponsoring children will be paying into the tax base.
I got it man. Thank you so much for responding quickly over my question. Appreciate.

techCan21

Dec 8, 2019
In order to sponsor, you must
  • live in Canada
Page 8 of the guide, pretty straightforward, not really any guessing room.
I saw this. Just had confusion that I have house in Canada. Primary residence in Canada. I am just going to US on Work Visa . For example, existing company sending an individual for 2 years project. So by going in US in this assignment which makes this individual ineligible for sponsorship. Please share your thought.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I saw this. Just had confusion that I have house in Canada. Primary residence in Canada. I am just going to US on Work Visa . For example, existing company sending an individual for 2 years project. So by going in US in this assignment which makes this individual ineligible for sponsorship. Please share your thought.
As it was qouted from the IRCC site. You need to "live in Canada" to sponsor.
It's very clear and you "will be living in Canada after your work contract will end in 2 years" is not living in Canada.

I think the only valid option is to do daily commute to US and still ive in Canada. Taking trips to Canada once a month is NOT living in Canada.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Having a house in a country does not make you live in that house or country. I am sure many would wish it were that easy. Where you live is where you sleep, eat, work, procreate, most of the time.

If you move to the USA for work and live and work there you would be ineligible to sponsor your parents to Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got it man. Thank you so much for responding quickly over my question. Appreciate.
Not sure why you expect the comments to be supportive. I assume you asked to be paid in CAD just for PGP because it would make no sense to work for a US company through TN and be paid in CAD. It is incredibly upsetting that people sponsor their parents but then want to leave them in Canada while they move elsewhere.

Reactions: screech339