+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grand Parents Sponsorship- PGP- 2020/2021- can i work in USA?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
As it was qouted from the IRCC site. You need to "live in Canada" to sponsor.
It's very clear and you "will be living in Canada after your work contract will end in 2 years" is not living in Canada.

I think the only valid option is to do daily commute to US and still ive in Canada. Taking trips to Canada once a month is NOT living in Canada.

The issue is even if the OP commutes to US daily, his/her income is not Canadian sourced. The income is coming from an American source company that doesn't pay Canadian income tax. Thus disqualifying him/herself from PGP requirement.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The issue is even if the OP commutes to US daily, his/her income is not Canadian sourced. The income is coming from an American source company that doesn't pay Canadian income tax. Thus disqualifying him/herself from PGP requirement.
I don't think this point holds true - if and only if the individual declares worldwide income and pays income tax in Canada. (Companies don't pay income tax anyway)

If there is a specific requirement that income be Canadian sourced, please provide a link.

It would be perfectly reasonable and normal, I think, for a Canadian resident working for a "foreign"-based (insert whatever country you want) company from within Canada to be paid directly and still qualify.

(This is entirely distinct from whether feasible in the specific case raised - I'm just saying I don't think there's any requirement that income must be Canadian sourced, as long as income is declared and tax paid).

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I don't think this point holds true - if and only if the individual declares worldwide income and pays income tax in Canada. (Companies don't pay income tax anyway)

If there is a specific requirement that income be Canadian sourced, please provide a link.

It would be perfectly reasonable and normal, I think, for a Canadian resident working for a "foreign"-based (insert whatever country you want) company from within Canada to be paid directly and still qualify.

(This is entirely distinct from whether feasible in the specific case raised - I'm just saying I don't think there's any requirement that income must be Canadian sourced, as long as income is declared and tax paid).
You are right that they can accept foreign income if you commute to US however it is up to IRCC to accept US income or not even if it is reported in NOA.
Remember it says the officer "CAN CONSIDER" foreign income, it doesn't mean they "WILL" accept foreign income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

Sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income to the CRA and appears on their NOA.

Reactions: armoured