+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents' drug & dental plan in Ontario

smileliv

Jan 31, 2019
Hi everyone,

My parents recently immigrated to Canada (PR) and settled in Ontario, thus, basic medical care is covered under OHIP. However, they don't have an employer in ON/Canada nor did they purchase any health & dental plan to cover their out-of-pocket expenses for prescription drug/dental work? Recently, their family doctor discovered they have pretty severe osteopenia and prescribed some prescription medication. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in terms of purchasing additional health & dental plan for parents who recently immigrated and no employer-provided health benefits, like my parents, or apply to any provincial benefits that would cover part of the expenses? My parents are under 65.

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My parents recently immigrated to Canada (PR) and settled in Ontario, thus, basic medical care is covered under OHIP. However, they don't have an employer in ON/Canada nor did they purchase any health & dental plan to cover their out-of-pocket expenses for prescription drug/dental work? Recently, their family doctor discovered they have pretty severe osteopenia and prescribed some prescription medication. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in terms of purchasing additional health & dental plan for parents who recently immigrated and no employer-provided health benefits, like my parents, or apply to any provincial benefits that would cover part of the expenses? My parents are under 65.

Thanks in advance
You'll most likely be better off paying for these expenses out of pocket.

There are private health care programs available that will cover some of these costs. However they are typically quite expensive since an insurance company is obviously not going to sell you a product where they know they are going to lose money. Additionally, pre-existing conditions and related medications typically aren't covered (or are covered with high deductibles / premiums).

You can check out what manulife has as an example.

https://www.manulife.ca/personal/insurance/health-insurance/health-and-dental.html

smileliv

Jan 31, 2019
You'll most likely be better off paying for these expenses out of pocket.

There are private health care programs available that will cover some of these costs. However they are typically quite expensive since an insurance company is obviously not going to sell you a product where they know they are going to lose money. Additionally, pre-existing conditions and related medications typically aren't covered (or are covered with high deductibles / premiums).

You can check out what manulife has as an example.

https://www.manulife.ca/personal/insurance/health-insurance/health-and-dental.html
Yes, that's what I'm thinking, but I heard someone told me that ONTARIO WORKS or Trillium Drug Benefit may be able to be applied.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, that's what I'm thinking, but I heard someone told me that ONTARIO WORKS or Trillium Drug Benefit may be able to be applied.
They can't take any benefits related to Ontario Works. As part of the agreement to sponsor them, you agreed to financially support them for 20 years after landing. If they take anything from Ontario Works, you'll have to repay this to the government. I'm not sure about the Trillium Program. I thought this was only open to those over 65.

Reactions: smileliv

smileliv

Jan 31, 2019
They can't take any benefits related to Ontario Works. As part of the agreement to sponsor them, you agreed to financially support them for 20 years after landing. If they take anything from Ontario Works, you'll have to repay this to the government. I'm not sure about the Trillium Program. I thought this was only open to those over 65.
Wow, that's a very good insight about the Ontario Works. Thanks a lot!

Trillium is for ages 25-64.
Here's a link of the guideline: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-3693-87E~4/$File/3693-87E_Guide.pdf

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada

Here's a link of the guideline: file:///Users/oliviajialiwang/Downloads/3693-87E_Guide.pdf
You've linked to a file on your computer, so we can't follow that link.

However, Trillium drug program is a means-tested benefit program. You should be very careful about opting for it. It may not be social assistance, but it's dangerously close.

smileliv

Jan 31, 2019

However, Trillium drug program is a means-tested benefit program. You should be very careful about opting for it. It may not be social assistance, but it's dangerously close.
Lol, just updated it. Thanks a lot.
You're right, will take a closer look into it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Here's a link of the guideline: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-3693-87E~4/$File/3693-87E_Guide.pdf
There is still quite a substantial deductible for trillium but if you take very expensive medications that are covered by ODB (different than private drug plans that tend to cover everything) it will help. You'll need to be able to show a tax return to qualify.

Reactions: k.h.p. and smileliv

smileliv

Jan 31, 2019
There is still quite a substantial deductible for trillium but if you take very expensive medications that are covered by ODB (different than private drug plans that tend to cover everything) it will help. You'll need to be able to show a tax return to qualify.
So is ODB different from Trillium?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So is ODB different from Trillium?
Yes they are different. Seniors, those are on welfare and those on disability qualify for ODB. Trillium is to help people whose medication costs are above a certain threshold of the income. It is not going to provide very low cost amount per prescription $2 or $6 something plus a yearly deductible for seniors. The goal is for medication to be more accessible for those with high medication costs related to income. I am not sure whether Trillium will account for your income because you have sponsored your parents.

Last edited:
Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yeah, it's possible that if your parents applied for Trillium, showed $0 income, they'd be forward to Ontario Works/ODB, which would be an issue.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

It’s mean tested . I voluntarily took a year off work . I went to my Dr and she had prescribed medication. She said since I had taken a year off and was at zero income I now qualified for Trillium .Since I had nil income I was below the poverty level and qualified. I of course declined the offer , since as I told her , if I could afford to take a year off work , I could definitely afford the prescription

Reactions: k.h.p.