+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2021

Susat

Jan 30, 2022
I had applied for my parents under the parents sponsorship program in March 2021 and they received their medical in November 2021. Their medical was done in November in India. My mother has pulmonary (lung) fibrosis. She received a request for additional medical information. Since they were scheduled to come to Canada in the first week of January, I inquired at the Visa Medical office at the hospital in India where their medical was done and they informed that additional medical could be done in Canada. I thought we could do the additional medical in Canada. They arrived in Canada in the first week of January and got hit with Covid and my mom got hit harder. She was at the hospital for 7 days and she is now on Oxygen 4lpm 24/7. She is in a state where I can't take them back to India nor I can get their additional medical done here. I am inquiring about the medicals as to how much wait time they will have at the clinic because she is on full time oxygen. I am their only daughter. Even if I send them back to India there is no one to look after them. Please let me know who should I contact to expedite their case of parental sponsorship. Is there any way to request to have their immigration done asap on the basis of humanitarian grounds? If yes, how should I proceed. Any guidance in this regard is appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had applied for my parents under the parents sponsorship program in March 2021 and they received their medical in November 2021. Their medical was done in November in India. My mother has pulmonary (lung) fibrosis. She received a request for additional medical information. Since they were scheduled to come to Canada in the first week of January, I inquired at the Visa Medical office at the hospital in India where their medical was done and they informed that additional medical could be done in Canada. I thought we could do the additional medical in Canada. They arrived in Canada in the first week of January and got hit with Covid and my mom got hit harder. She was at the hospital for 7 days and she is now on Oxygen 4lpm 24/7. She is in a state where I can't take them back to India nor I can get their additional medical done here. I am inquiring about the medicals as to how much wait time they will have at the clinic because she is on full time oxygen. I am their only daughter. Even if I send them back to India there is no one to look after them. Please let me know who should I contact to expedite their case of parental sponsorship. Is there any way to request to have their immigration done asap on the basis of humanitarian grounds? If yes, how should I proceed. Any guidance in this regard is appreciated.
Unfortunately there is no way to expedite their case. If they are denied you can attempt to appeal based on H&C considerations. You will have to arrange further testing. Due to Covid it could take a long time since those with provincial healthcare will be prioritized versus testing for an immigration application. Hopefully they took out medical insurance because I’m not sure at what point visitors stop being covered for Covid expenses. Although it may not be your first option hiring a caregiver or nurse in your home country to provide care may be your best option until you get the result of your parent’s PGP application. You also mention only daughter do you have a brother? Is he in India?It could be a very long process if you have to appeal on top of the 20-24+ month processing time. Technically they could try and file an H&C application but they have only just been affected by Covid and there is no guarantee they won’t have longterm expensive health issues. They also traveled during the height of a pandemic and they would likely have access to similar medical treatments in India. The application could still take many months With no guarantees. Would suggest hiring a lawyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: kafepoche

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sorry for your mother's situation.

Unfortunately there is no way to expedite the application.

The additional medicals will definitely need to be completed. The application won't move forward until this is done. So focus on getting those done as soon as possible to avoid further delays to the application.

Given the circumstances, as you've suggested, I do think you may want to update your existing application to request H&C consideration. The H&C consideration will not make the application be processed faster. The reason you would be asking for H&C consideration is to try to avoid a refusal of the application for medical reasons due to your mother's condition (based on her current conditions, there's probably a good chance IRCC would assess her as medically inadmissible). This is a bit of a complex situation to be honest. You may want to hire an immigration lawyer for a consult and to assist you with requesting that your application be processed with H&C considerations.

Good luck and hope your mother gets better.

Last edited:

Susat

Jan 30, 2022
I'm sorry for your mother's situation.

Unfortunately there is no way to expedite the application.

The additional medicals will definitely need to be completed. The application won't move forward until this is done. So focus on getting those done as soon as possible to avoid further delays to the application.

Given the circumstances, as you've suggested, I do think you may want to update your existing application to request H&C consideration. The H&C consideration will not make the application be processed faster. The reason you would be asking for H&C consideration is to try to avoid a refusal of the application for medical reasons due to your mother's condition (based on her current conditions, there's probably a good chance IRCC would assess her as medically inadmissible). This is a bit of a complex situation to be honest. You may want to hire an immigration lawyer for a consult and to assist you with requesting that your application be processed with H&C considerations.

Good luck and hope your mother gets better.

Susat

Jan 30, 2022
Thank you for your response. Any inputs/ directions as to how I apply on H&C grounds as this application is already under process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response. Any inputs/ directions as to how I apply on H&C grounds as this application is already under process.
Sorry, I'm not sure the best way to do this for an application already in progress or what you need to submit.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
you can apply for another application on humanitarian grounds ,what will happen next is that you will be given the choice on cancelling one of two as both applications cannot be processed at the same time so you will be taking the risk of cancelling one when you didn't get the outcome out of it, and specifically when you are ahead in the application since the medical was requested usually the medical test goes through a Panel of Physicians in the country or place where they are ,but you can always take the permission to get another Dr after you get the approval from immigration Canada by simply calling this number :1-888-242-2100 explain the situation and provide the following information since you are in a Hospital environment
  • the doctor's name,
  • address,
  • telephone number,
  • fax or email address,
  • preliminary agreement from the prospective doctor that they will perform the medical exam.

Reactions: kafepoche

Bimpsy_7

Jun 7, 2021
Hi,
Thank you for the advise, I have one brother (6years old) who is their dependent. Should I still count him right?
Also, if possible can they do upfront medical? Kust to prepare in advance. Or should we wait until we get the request?

thank you.
Thats a dependant who should be listed on your application and your LICO should include him in your family size as well

Reactions: microbio1

Bimpsy_7

Jun 7, 2021
I am so sorry to hear this. I pray she gets well soon. Maybe you should raise a webform explaining the situation with a doctor report. So they can give you more time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do we even know whether this is possible before getting a PFL first?
The initial application can be filed with H&C consideration. So yes, H&C can be in place pre-PFL. I don't know how adding it after submissions works. Possibly doable through a webform.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Another thought for your situation... No matter what you do, I don't think there's a possibility of a fast path to PR. Given your mother's health condition, I think there's a very high chance there will be medicaly inadmissibility concerns that will drag out the application, or, at a minimum, more tests.

Another option you have right now is to ask for a longer period of time to complete the additional medicals (i.e. sending a webform to IRCC letting them know you need a 3 month extension). Maybe your mother's condition could improve over three months to have a higher chance of better results in the follow up medical? Just a thought. Of course the processing of the application will be held up while IRCC waits for your mother to complete these additional medicals. But it is a possible path if you think more time will help her heal.

This is a super difficult situation and my heart goes out to you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you can apply for another application on humanitarian grounds ,what will happen next is that you will be given the choice on cancelling one of two as both applications cannot be processed at the same time so you will be taking the risk of cancelling one when you didn't get the outcome out of it, and specifically when you are ahead in the application since the medical was requested usually the medical test goes through a Panel of Physicians in the country or place where they are ,but you can always take the permission to get another Dr after you get the approval from immigration Canada by simply calling this number :1-888-242-2100 explain the situation and provide the following information since you are in a Hospital environment
  • the doctor's name,
  • address,
  • telephone number,
  • fax or email address,
  • preliminary agreement from the prospective doctor that they will perform the medical exam.
You don’t need permission for another doctor to perform additional testing. Assume a pulmonolgist was likely requested and maybe a CT to see the level of fibrosis in the lungs.