+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

ryanguy90

Jan 25, 2017
Hello All,

I would like to confirm the following information:

On IMM 1344 (Application to sponsor, sponsorship and undertaking)
Under sponsor eligibility assessment,
Question 5:

In the five years preceding this application, did you become a permanent resident after being sponsored as a spouse, common law partner or conjugal partner?

Since I was sponsored as a spouse after I married my Canadian wife back in 2011, I would still indicate YES for this question right ? and indicating yes will not reject this application since I am sponsoring my parents right?

ALSO

On the document checklist, I would just provide a copy of my birth certificate right? I do not need to provide a copy of my parents' birth certificates right since I am sponsoring my parents and not grandparents, correct?

All help appreciated.

Thank you.

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON
If you're submitting the original and it has a stamp on the back then that is fine. If you're submitting a photocopy, then photocopy the back stamp and have it included as a second separate page. That's what i do.
Also, if i have to provide an explanation for parents name, can i just do it from my side as I am signing the use of representative and will be their rep.
?

roozbeh

Star Member
Feb 5, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-03-2015
Med's Done....
02-01-2015
I really appreciate if someone helps me with the questions below –

Questions:

1. My mother in law came as a visitor under a super visa and left on April 2019 (stayed 4 months). I sponsored him (co-signer) when she applied. Do I still count her as a dependent?

2. We are five – Me, my wife, one boy and my parents (back home). Should I count my mother in law as well?

3. I am taking Parental leave from July 2019? Is this affect my application as my income will be less? I am a sponsor and my wife is not co-signer?

4. Does the CIC only looking for last three-year income or they will look for 2019 as well? In my case – I am leaving Canada for more than 2 months and will be on Parental leave?

Regards,
Roozbeh

Andy_s

Oct 24, 2014
Hello All,

I would like to confirm the following information:

On IMM 1344 (Application to sponsor, sponsorship and undertaking)
Under sponsor eligibility assessment,
Question 5:

In the five years preceding this application, did you become a permanent resident after being sponsored as a spouse, common law partner or conjugal partner?

Since I was sponsored as a spouse after I married my Canadian wife back in 2011, I would still indicate YES for this question right ? and indicating yes will not reject this application since I am sponsoring my parents right?

ALSO

On the document checklist, I would just provide a copy of my birth certificate right? I do not need to provide a copy of my parents' birth certificates right since I am sponsoring my parents and not grandparents, correct?

All help appreciated.

Thank you.
When did you become PR?

You only need your Birth cert. No need for parent's birth cert.

VicWill

May 1, 2019
Hello All.
In Check list for form 5669 Schedule A it says " Sign your name in writing with a handwritten signature in the signature box"
Does it mean we have to provide first name & signature or just signature? Thanks.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
I was about to submit my parents application this week in response to the invitation (had filled up all forms) and coincidentally my status in Canada has changed from PR to Citizen. What changes do I need to do to the application? Won't have my Canadian passport before 10 days or so. What would experienced folks advise in this case?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone.

Andy_s

Oct 24, 2014
If the application is complete with all the mandatory details and the forms.
But lets say they want another/extra proof of something already provided, any clearer copy of aome document, or clarification?
Would that also beconsidered incomplete?
It is hard to tell what is 'Incomplete' with IRCC but as long as you have all the mandatory documents you should be good. The first step an officer does is completeness check and that would mean the items below.
  • Invitation Letter (as first page - with the barcode)
  • All forms must be signed (HANDWRITTEN Signature!!!)
  • If there are missing documents, attach an explanation letter.
  • Forms are 'VALIDATED'
  • Forms are printed with Barcode
  • Forms include DATE
  • All forms in the Document Checklist should be there (It is a checklist for a reason)
  • Photos should be the right size
  • Authorized representatives only
  • With Correct fees paid (possibly in full to avoid delay)
Once your application is 'Complete' they will then send you an AOR. Once you have received the AOR, it is safe to say (at the very least) that you got in. There is a slim chance that they will reject your application after the AOR.

If they are rejecting it after an AOR, it may be because you did not meet the income requirements, you fail the Medical exam, or you are inadmissible because of Criminal charges etc... They will not reject and return because you have an unclear copy of your PR card. They will ask you to resubmit clear copies of those documents. Other extra proof will also be requested later on if they need one (This obviously causes delay on your application). I hope this makes sense.

So again, the make or break is the AOR.

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON
It is hard to tell what is 'Incomplete' with IRCC but as long as you have all the mandatory documents you should be good. The first step an officer does is completeness check and that would mean the items below.
  • Invitation Letter (as first page - with the barcode)
  • All forms must be signed (HANDWRITTEN Signature!!!)
  • If there are missing documents, attach an explanation letter.
  • Forms are 'VALIDATED'
  • Forms are printed with Barcode
  • Forms include DATE
  • All forms in the Document Checklist should be there (It is a checklist for a reason)
  • Photos should be the right size
  • Authorized representatives only
  • With Correct fees paid (possibly in full to avoid delay)
Once your application is 'Complete' they will then send you an AOR. Once you have received the AOR, it is safe to say (at the very least) that you got in. There is a slim chance that they will reject your application after the AOR.

If they are rejecting it after an AOR, it may be because you did not meet the income requirements, you fail the Medical exam, or you are inadmissible because of Criminal charges etc... They will not reject and return because you have an unclear copy of your PR card. They will ask you to resubmit clear copies of those documents. Other extra proof will also be requested later on if they need one (This obviously causes delay on your application). I hope this makes sense.

So again, the make or break is the AOR.
Thank you for the detailed info.
As you mentioned, authorized representatives only, what doea that mean?
Can not I be the representative for them by signing 5476, as it says the rep can be a family member too?
Please clarify

visaprince

May 1, 2019
Invitation email received : April 25, 2019 ; 9.40 am EST

I have one question for clarification:
IMM 5768 - Financial Evaluation for P/GP sponsorship: Need help in completing this form:
Pg#3, Q # 13
Your current situation - Unemployed, Employed or Semi-employed: Which box to check? My situation is - I am in a parental leave receiving employment insurance from the federal government?

Similarly, Pg#3, Q#14
Employment History - how to provide the response given I am currently in a parental leave?
I checked the application guide, unfortunately, there is no information on this. Any help or pointing towards where I could get help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. !

Yes your parental E insurance benefits will be considered as income. however EI for reasons other than maternal, parental and sickness can not be included in net income.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5482-instruction-fill-financial-evaluation-form-1283.html (it has instructions to fill financial evaluation for prob last year 2018 family sponsorship applications)

kimat

Star Member
Apr 16, 2010
Is it just my printer or am I the only one finding that the filled in fields in the pdfs are too light when printed? Any way to correct this?

Thanks

marwanco

Dec 13, 2018
Ontario
The guideline is not asking for Death Cert but we are including ours since this has been requested by IRCC to some PGP 2018 applicants (Just so not to delay the application - we need our application to be approved fast for some reason).

I guess this is proof that the person is really dead and not because the other spouse just doesn't want to include him/her in the application. We are putting this as the last page of supporting documents.

Thank You, This help a lot.

Garry2008

Jun 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was about to submit my parents application this week in response to the invitation (had filled up all forms) and coincidentally my status in Canada has changed from PR to Citizen. What changes do I need to do to the application? Won't have my Canadian passport before 10 days or so. What would experienced folks advise in this case?

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone.
You will need to include copy of citizenship certificate. And change one of the form IMM 1344 for sponsorship where you added your status as PR now you will choose Citizen. And an explanation letter to explain your status change between Interest to Sponsor and while submitting the application.

Last edited:
Reactions: forsaken11

snganu

Oct 2, 2011
In form imm5768, for employment history in the very first section

Are you prorating the income for first 5 months ?
for eg.
2019-01-01 TO Present - Income for 5 months for 2019
2018-01-01 TO 2018-12-31 NOA income for 2018
2017-01-01 TO 2017-12-31 NOA income for 2017
2016-01-01 TO 2016-12-31 NOA income for 2016

Any guidance ?