+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Can I sponsor parents while living in US but still keeping my Canadian Residency i.e have a permanent residence in Canada and pay taxes in Canada.
I don't think you can. Some people may be able to get around it pretenting that they live in Canada by keeping the residensial address.

But if the case officer is careful, he/she won't make the mistake of missing where the sponsor actually live.

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
Has any one received "Decision Made" on ECAS a couple of weeks ago and has not yet received any further communication about this update?

USK

Star Member
Jul 7, 2012
Can you advise how/when I need to show the fact that I am a Canadian resident? Is it only during the initial application or do they ask for proof later on as well?
You'll be submitting the proof of being a Canadian resident (copy of your PR card) along with the application package. Specifically, The proof will be included with (your part of) the forms where the officer will be determining your eligibility to sponsor your parents.

As long as you have filed your taxes within Canada in the past 3 years and meeting the income requirements, you'll be fine.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You'll be submitting the proof of being a Canadian resident (copy of your PR card) along with the application package. Specifically, The proof will be included with (your part of) the forms where the officer will be determining your eligibility to sponsor your parents.

As long as you have filed your taxes within Canada in the past 3 years and meeting the income requirements, you'll be fine.
Well, this is what's on the CIC site. So if you misrepresent yourself as living in Canada, and they found out, it may not end well.
All I can say is that you were lucky.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html

Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
Find out if you meet the income requirements
Before you apply, find out how much money you need to sponsor your parents and grandparents. You’ll have to prove you have this income in your application.
You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if:

Reactions: USK

innocentkool

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
Can you advise how/when I need to show the fact that I am a Canadian resident? Is it only during the initial application or do they ask for proof later on as well?
I m sure you cannot sponsor parents if you live outside of Canada- they have many ways to find that out- firstly your NOA will reflect that, second your current paystubs apart from many other ways.

as1985

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
AOR Received.
January 2012
Can someone add the info inot the tracker spreadsheet (2018)? Thanks in advance!

Username: as1985
Sponsored People: Mom
Parents Country of Citizenship: Pakistan
Province: MB
Invitation Receive Date: Aug 01, 2018
SIN or NOA: SIN
Application Received in Ottawa: Sep 26, 2018
AOR Received: Dec 21, 2018
Additional document request date: Apr 16, 2019
Additional document: Death certificate
Local Visa Office: London
Medical Request date: January 3, 2020
Police Certificate: January 3, 2020
Biometrics request date: January 3, 2020
My CIC updates: IME passed January 27, 2020
E-case status for applicant: In Process

Last edited:
Reactions: USK

USK

Star Member
Jul 7, 2012
Well, this is what's on the CIC site. So if you misrepresent yourself as living in Canada, and they found out, it may not end well.
All I can say is that you were lucky.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html

Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent
Find out if you meet the income requirements
Before you apply, find out how much money you need to sponsor your parents and grandparents. You’ll have to prove you have this income in your application.
You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if:
YVR, thanks for sharing this. I'll go with what CIC website states and would not recommend anyone to misrepresent.

I believe I read on this forum that a Canadian PR living in the US sponsored his parents and submitted a letter that his/her intentions are to live in Canada. His file got through the process and his parents got immigration.

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
My apologies to ask this again, but have you guys received any further communication once ECAS changed status from "In Process" to "Decision Made"?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
YVR, thanks for sharing this. I'll go with what CIC website states and would not recommend anyone to misrepresent.

I believe I read on this forum that a Canadian PR living in the US sponsored his parents and submitted a letter that his/her intentions are to live in Canada. His file got through the process and his parents got immigration.
I think that's up to the processing officier. It's not a normal case. Their current pgp guide clearly state that sponsors need to live in Canada.

nuksyed

Dec 4, 2013
AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2015
Doc's Request.
01-12-2015
Nomination.....
10-12-2015 Sent CIC: 09-02-2016
AOR Received.
waiting.
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
We are in a similar position - our application was received 27 September 2018.....and everything has slowed down with Covid...very little feedback online, and the agents, though friendly, just keep saying Covid, Covid when I call CIC to enquire...our medicals EXPIRED end July 2020....and still havent heard what they would like us to do about thta. We are now 3 days off the full 2 year wait they said it would take, and no comms... sorry I cant be more helpful. Have you asked for an ATIP?
I did, it got rejected because my parents are not in the country? I am not sure how to apply on their behalf..

nuksyed

Dec 4, 2013
AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2015
Doc's Request.
01-12-2015
Nomination.....
10-12-2015 Sent CIC: 09-02-2016
AOR Received.
waiting.
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Can someone add the info inot the tracker spreadsheet (2018)? Thanks in advance!

Username: as1985
Sponsored People: Mom
Parents Country of Citizenship: Pakistan
Province: MB
Invitation Receive Date: Aug 01, 2018
SIN or NOA: SIN
Application Received in Ottawa: Sep 26, 2018
AOR Received: Dec 21, 2018
Additional document request date: Apr 16, 2019
Additional document: Death certificate
Local Visa Office: London
Medical Request date: January 3, 2020
Police Certificate: January 3, 2020
Biometrics request date: January 3, 2020
My CIC updates: IME passed January 27, 2020
E-case status for applicant: In Process
this is almost the exact same timeline for us. heard nothing since Jan 10, 2020 after meds were passed. Parents hold Pakistani passport.

as1985

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
AOR Received.
January 2012
this is almost the exact same timeline for us. heard nothing since Jan 10, 2020 after meds were passed. Parents hold Pakistani passport.
Interesting! This is why I wanted this added to the spreadsheet so I can get an idea if my situation is unique or similar to others.

sandhu1991

Oct 15, 2020
Hi All:

Just wanted to get in touch with you and see if anyone else has their application stuck at Delhi Visa Office for their parents.

Here are some details:

Sponsor AOR: may21, 2018.
Applicant AOR: July 14, 2018 application
December 13, 2018: Medical Request Sent.
January 10, 2019: Medical Received.

Feb. 2019 got email file transfer to New Delhi

we haven't heard anything

Then Coronavirus hit and 2 years in may 2020 completed

Is anyone else in a similar situation? When can I expect some more movement on the file?