+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

pawan1118vig

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Till the expiry of passport and medical...whatever expire first, medical is valid for one year but if your passport is expiring let suppose in 8 months than validity is 8 months
so once they arrive at the airport will the get their pr card and landing paper there?

petal765

Mar 20, 2014
Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
london/isb
App. Filed.......
27-09-2018
AOR Received.
12/18
File Transfer...
July8,2019
Med's Request
December 27,2019
Med's Done....
January 14,2020
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
February 11,2020
VISA ISSUED...
February 18,2020
LANDED..........
March 04,2020
so once they arrive at the airport will the get their pr card and landing paper there?
PR card comes in mail after 6-8 weeks.Landing papers come with the passport, you have to present those to immigration officer at Canadian airport

nitika_joshi

Jun 4, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-Nov-2013
Doc's Request.
15-May-2014 (PCC, RPRF)
Nomination.....
30-Sep--2013
AOR Received.
13-Jan-2014
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
13-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
14-Jan-2014
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2014
Hi Yulia, just got AOR today. Nitika_joshi.

pawan1118vig

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
PR card comes in mail after 6-8 weeks.Landing papers come with the passport, you have to present those to immigration officer at Canadian airport
thank you for the information. I appreciate it. if there is more important info like that please let me know so i make sure we are all aware of these to make this transition as smooth as possible.

fvalerach

Aug 4, 2016
Hi All, just wanted to check the times and if my application is moving as expected. I haven't received the Sponsorship Approval just yet. These are my times:

1. We received your application to sponsor <mother> on April 25, 2018.
    Dependents listed on the application are: <father>
  2. We started processing your application on June 26, 2018.

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Hello folks,
The principal applicant is my mom, and her dependent is my dad. She's still waiting for PPR. LVO is in Ottawa. My mom is here in Canada as super visa, my dad is in the Phils. My question is, if ever she got PPR, is my dad included in the PPR? And where will I submit my dad's passport? Any answer is well appreciated.
Thanks a lot

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hi All, just wanted to check the times and if my application is moving as expected. I haven't received the Sponsorship Approval just yet. These are my times:

1. We received your application to sponsor <mother> on April 25, 2018.
    Dependents listed on the application are: <father>
  2. We started processing your application on June 26, 2018.
Yours is a bit of an odd case. But, I see a group of late March to April applicants that are still waiting for SA. I thought March and April applicants got most of the stuff done already. I sent my application in about 2 weeks later than you, and got SA already. However, some people even got PR although they sent applications much later than I did. So, you cannot compare the cases based solely on the time application was received in Ottawa.

Anyway, there is no definitive time frame for receiving SA. It also depends on the case as well. If CIC is waiting for information from the provincial government to check if you or the person you sponsored before received any government assistance, for example, then it could take some time to get that information. I also suspect that the processing of applications will slow down a bit as we get closer to the holiday season, as it is the time for most employees to take annual leave.

As with any government departments and agencies, there are some employees that work at a very slow pace and there are some that are lightning fast. If your application happens to land on the snail paced employees, I'd recommend fair bit of meditation to practice patient and weekly calls to CIC call center. :)

Last edited:

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hello folks,
The principal applicant is my mom, and her dependent is my dad. She's still waiting for PPR. LVO is in Ottawa. My mom is here in Canada as super visa, my dad is in the Phils. My question is, if ever she got PPR, is my dad included in the PPR? And where will I submit my dad's passport? Any answer is well appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Wait for the passport request email. They will tell you where to send passports to in that email.

Yes, your dad will get PR. You listed him as dependent. That means he's part of the PR application.

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
Hi All, I have a quick question to confirm my eligibility to sponsor my parents to Canada. Just a heads up, I will be sponsoring my parents in January 2020.
I landed in July 2017. My income + my spouse's income for 5 months in 2017 meet the income required for 2017. Income for 2018 meets the requirement and so will my future income from 2019.

1) I believe CIC starts accepting applications in January of every year. By January 2020, I would have not filed my income tax for 2019. Can I enter the income as a sponsor before I actually file an income return (annual base package) ? I believe almost everyone would face this issue, because application window opens in January.

2) By January 2020, I would have not completed 3 years in Canada. Eligibility criteria is related to 3 Income Tax Returns and not exactly 3 years of stay in Canada, right ? In my case, I would have filed 3 ITR by technically staying for only 2.5 years.

3) Right now I am looking at 4 family members (Myself, spouse, Mom, Dad). But by the time I file an application or while my application is in process, if I become a father (making family members to 5), would that make me ineligible to sponsor my parents ?

Thanks!!

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hi All, I have a quick question to confirm my eligibility to sponsor my parents to Canada. Just a heads up, I will be sponsoring my parents in January 2020.
I landed in July 2017. My income + my spouse's income for 5 months in 2017 meet the income required for 2017. Income for 2018 meets the requirement and so will my future income from 2019.

1) I believe CIC starts accepting applications in January of every year. By January 2020, I would have not filed my income tax for 2019. Can I enter the income as a sponsor before I actually file an income return (annual base package) ? I believe almost everyone would face this issue, because application window opens in January.

2) By January 2020, I would have not completed 3 years in Canada. Eligibility criteria is related to 3 Income Tax Returns and not exactly 3 years of stay in Canada, right ? In my case, I would have filed 3 ITR by technically staying for only 2.5 years.

3) Right now I am looking at 4 family members (Myself, spouse, Mom, Dad). But by the time I file an application or while my application is in process, if I become a father (making family members to 5), would that make me ineligible to sponsor my parents ?

Thanks!!
PGP eligibility does not specify any length of stay in Canada as long as you have three tax returns that meet LICO. If you file your tax return early, you should be able to get 2019 NOA before the application deadline, which is usually late May (22 to 25 May).

If you became a father while your application is being processed, you will need to meet LICO for 5 people in the year your child is born (i.e if your child was born in December 2019, then you need to meet LICO for 5 people in 2019 etc.). Check CIC website again when it gets closer to 2020. They could have different eligibility criteria then.

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
PGP eligibility does not specify any length of stay in Canada as long as you have three tax returns that meet LICO. If you file your tax return early, you should be able to get 2019 NOA before the application deadline, which is usually late May (22 to 25 May).

If you became a father while your application is being processed, you will need to meet LICO for 5 people in the year your child is born (i.e if your child was born in December 2019, then you need to meet LICO for 5 people in 2019 etc.). Check CIC website again when it gets closer to 2020. They could have different eligibility criteria then.
Thanks..This is really helpful!!

fvalerach

Aug 4, 2016
Yours is a bit of an odd case. But, I see a group of late March to April applicants that are still waiting for SA. I thought March and April applicants got most of the stuff done already. I sent my application in about 2 weeks later than you, and got SA already. However, some people even got PR although they sent applications much later than I did. So, you cannot compare the cases based solely on the time application was received in Ottawa.

Anyway, there is no definitive time frame for receiving SA. It also depends on the case as well. If CIC is waiting for information from the provincial government to check if you or the person you sponsored before received any government assistance, for example, then it could take some time to get that information. I also suspect that the processing of applications will slow down a bit as we get closer to the holiday season, as it is the time for most employees to take annual leave.

As with any government departments and agencies, there are some employees that work at a very slow pace and there are some that are lightning fast. If your application happens to land on the snail paced employees, I'd recommend fair bit of meditation to practice patient and weekly calls to CIC call center. :)
Usually, when you call them I am afraid to ask them about the application and they are going to just say: you are still on the valid waiting times so just wait without giving you any details, what should I say in order to get more details of my application?
Thanks

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Usually, when you call them I am afraid to ask them about the application and they are going to just say: you are still on the valid waiting times so just wait without giving you any details, what should I say in order to get more details of my application?
Thanks
Don't be afraid to ask them about the application. After all, you don't call CIC to chitchat. Be nice and explain why you are calling. Just tell them that some people you know already got SA and etc (you don't need to be specific), and that you are wondering if there's something they can see on their end that you could not see. Call center agents are just messengers. So, be polite and ask for any help they can offer.

Reactions: Cravethe6th