+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

sukhi_boy

May 14, 2010
Hi friends..i m new to forum...can you add my details pls for pg sponsorship ..
Email received 31 July 2018
Package sent 15 aug 2018
Package received 17 aug 2018
What's next...i mean how long wait for file number now
To add more details...i am from india and my parents are in canada on supervisa right now and I sent sin number and noa..i m from alberta

Reactions: YULIA-2016

vividglider

Jul 17, 2018
Hmm, that line is confusing. Not sure how true it is. I hope they don't ask people to fill in the form on Day 1, and then pick the first 20k applicants on first-come-first-serve basis. I can already imagine servers crashing.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see the guidelines on how IRCC will handle it. Instructions would likely be published sometime end of the year.
The article says:
"IRCC said those interested in sponsoring their parents and / or grandparents in the 2019 will have to complete an Interest to Sponsor form online at the beginning of the year."

Why will we still need to complete the form in 2019? If it's back to first come, first served, then why can't we just submit the application whenever we can?

Also, there is nothing about canceling the lottery on the official CIC website. It still says "we randomly select potential sponsors"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Could you clarify?
It's because the government wants to provide equal opportunities for people who live across Canada - not just who live close to Ottawa, who can line up in front of the processing centre or who live/can express post closer to the vicinity. Let's take a moment to think about someone from Yukon who wants to sponsor their parents - even the express post gonna take few days. Historically, people have paid courier guys to line up in front of case processing centre to submit applications to get included within the first 5000 applications. I guess those people will continue to do that by paying people to fill out forms - however, this also gives equal opportunity for people living across the country and who oppose paying people to do their job.

Reactions: andypatel

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hmm, that line is confusing. Not sure how true it is. I hope they don't ask people to fill in the form on Day 1, and then pick the first 20k applicants on first-come-first-serve basis. I can already imagine servers crashing.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see the guidelines on how IRCC will handle it. Instructions would likely be published sometime end of the year.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what they are going to do. They will let everyone fill in the form on day 1 and pick the first 20K. They are using pseudo lottery system in essence, where the first 20K people with good connections and lucky enough to get in before the server crashes get selected. It'll be a busy day for Shared Services Canada. I can tell you that much.

Anyhow, to answer soucal's question, there's nothing to attach to the form unless they change it for 2019. All you need to do is to fill out your personal information and check that you meet LICO. That last part is very important and that's what drives most people on this forum nuts to see people who do not meet LICO got selected.

Last edited:

Assaf97

Star Member
Apr 19, 2018
AOR ---> Sponsorship Approval (SA) --> Medical and PCC requests --> Decision on Medical ---> Passport Request --> PRR is how I understood as logical steps.
Oh okay I see, do you have any idea what the general wait time is for most people between AOR and SA?

Also, do they ask for any additional paperwork from my older brother (the sponsor), because they haven't said anything after emailing us the AOR so I assume they have all of the information they need or will they contact us asking for something specific?

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Oh okay I see, do you have any idea what the general wait time is for most people between AOR and SA?

Also, do they ask for any additional paperwork from my older brother (the sponsor), because they haven't said anything after emailing us the AOR so I assume they have all of the information they need or will they contact us asking for something specific?
Yulia has a spreadsheet with timeline. I think it generally takes about 1 to 1.5 months for SA. They don't ask for additional documents if they do not need it. AOR stands for acknowledgement of receipt which means they are just saying "Hey, we got your application". They haven't even started processing your application yet. Once they started processing your application, then and only then they may ask for additional documents if they need to. Be patient, your turn will come.

Assaf97

Star Member
Apr 19, 2018
Yulia has a spreadsheet with timeline. I think it generally takes about 1 to 1.5 months for SA. They don't ask for additional documents if they do not need it. AOR stands for acknowledgement of receipt which means they are just saying "Hey, we got your application". They haven't even started processing your application yet. Once they started processing your application, then and only then they may ask for additional documents if they need to. Be patient, your turn will come.
Where can I find this timeline?

Sorry if I came off impatient! Didn't mean to, I am actually really patient as I don't have plans to immigrate permanently until 2020 when I graduate but at the rate I see our application is going (We applied for the lottery back in 2018 January) I am assuming our application will most likely be done before I graduate, assuming that everything works out hopefully of course.

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Where can I find this timeline?

Sorry if I came off impatient! Didn't mean to, I am actually really patient as I don't have plans to immigrate permanently until 2020 when I graduate but at the rate I see our application is going (We applied for the lottery back in 2018 January) I am assuming our application will most likely be done before I graduate, assuming that everything works out hopefully of course.

Spreadsheet is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B_YAyszLcUxbfe0ur7WPZRPJ0y2COpRJSt8Ce19yrhI/edit#gid=761650616.

There's nothing you do to make the process faster or slower anyway. So, don't worry about stuff that you have no control over. Besides, you can always immigrate to Canada first and stay here for a few months. Then go back to your country and finish studies if you want. As long as you live in Canada for at least 2 years within the 5 years period, you can retain your PR.

Here is the link for Residency requirement for PR.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

Assaf97

Star Member
Apr 19, 2018
T
Spreadsheet is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B_YAyszLcUxbfe0ur7WPZRPJ0y2COpRJSt8Ce19yrhI/edit#gid=761650616.

There's nothing you do to make the process faster or slower anyway. So, don't worry about stuff that you have no control over. Besides, you can always immigrate to Canada first and stay here for a few months. Then go back to your country and finish studies if you want. As long as you live in Canada for at least 2 years within the 5 years period, you can retain your PR.

Here is the link for Residency requirement for PR.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4
Thanks man/women! I really appreciate it, the most frustrating thing is not knowing what you are exactly waiting for. Now that I know we are waiting for SA its a lot easier.

Sorry but one last question, do you have any idea what they generally look for to approve a sponsor?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
T

Thanks man/women! I really appreciate it, the most frustrating thing is not knowing what you are exactly waiting for. Now that I know we are waiting for SA its a lot easier.

Sorry but one last question, do you have any idea what they generally look for to approve a sponsor?
Your CRA records to make sure you really meet LICO for 3 taxation years, and perhaps your employment to make sure you do work in Canada and are currently employed. Although, I don't think they called my employer. And maybe check for any pre-existing undertakings.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Your CRA records to make sure you really meet LICO for 3 taxation years, and perhaps your employment to make sure you do work in Canada and are currently employed. Although, I don't think they called my employer. And maybe check for any pre-existing undertakings.
It would be Assaf97's brother. Assaf97 is the dependent of the parents being sponsored. Not very common poster on this forum.
It's usually the sponsor or applicant that ask questions. :)

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
Hello,

All the suggestions on this forum are only good as per the knowledge of the individuals so please always do your due diligence and make decision accordingly.
1. You can leave them blank, I did the same
2. Not available will work there.
3. Always use dates based on the signature date, you can't predict the future.

hope this helps.
Good luck.
Thanks,
Thanks so much, iengineer86! This sure does help! :)