+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hey Guys, I am a bit confused...

Lottery is for PR application for parents and grand-parents? for supervisa there is no such thing as lottery right?
Yeah supervisa is just apply. Cos it costs nothing to the govt and tax payers.

Lottery is for PGP because it costs $$ to the govt and tax payers as the health care costs for parents are covered.

Reactions: Kan_Sri

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
Yeah supervisa is just apply. Cos it costs nothing to the govt and tax payers.

Lottery is for PGP because it costs $$ to the govt and tax payers as the health care costs for parents are covered.
Thank you, much appreciated!

northstarbd

Aug 20, 2015
My brother is selected in the lottery to sponsor our parents. I'm trying to better understand the LICO requirement for Quebec residents. Is it that income needs to satisfy the financial requirement for 1-year (that's what I find in quebec website) or 3-year (cic site)?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes.

To be honest this is the first time I have looked at the super visa and medical insurance option. The insurance plan is not sufficient to cover the health care costs of an elderly person living in Canada. $100,000 coverage is too little.

I'll go ask around whether they have more comprehensive packages. I'd rather pay a $100,000 in insurance premiums and make sure everything is covered for their entire lives than to play around with possible charges that can go into the millions. Mind you, most physicians don;t even know how to bill foreign patients. What is considered a reasonable fee? I am not aware of any guidelines.

I do have a friend whose father visited them in Edmonton and they did not buy travel insurance. He had an AMI. The bills went into excess of $500,000 before they finally got him fit enough to fly back to his home country.

So even with the travel insurance I am guessing the coverage would only have been $100,000?

It's really tough.
Every doctor/hospital has their own policies. All places should have rates and billing practices for those not covered under a provincial plan (either for foreign visitors, or Canadians during wait period for provincial coverage).

Some places will work with you to bill your insurance company directly, but most will probably demand an upfront payment and tell you to make the claim to insurance yourself. Some hospital emergency rooms will make you pay an upfront deposit before they even look at you, but if parent needs to stay in hospital long term they may make arrangement to start directly dealing with the insurer.

When choosing an insurer, make sure you understand and disclose all the parent's pre-existing conditions and medications they are on. Stable conditions may be covered, and others maybe not. Some insurers will just accept whatever you say on the initial application, but will really start investigating when a claim is actually made to see if there was some mistake or omission on the original application that would void the policy and allow them to deny you payment.

Also make sure you understand the term of the policy, if the rates are guaranteed, when the insurer would be allowed to increase rates (i.e. yearly renewals or is price locked in for X years), etc etc. If a claim is made, does that cause the next renewal to skyrocket the price? Or at certain ages can the insurer increase the price significantly? The older someone gets the more chance there is of medical claims being made, so I imagine at some age the cost of insurance would be astronomical.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My brother is selected in the lottery to sponsor our parents. I'm trying to better understand the LICO requirement for Quebec residents. Is it that income needs to satisfy the financial requirement for 1-year (that's what I find in quebec website) or 3-year (cic site)?
Quebec follows the Quebec rules for income, so as far as I know it's still 1 year. Go by what's on the Quebec website.

Reactions: northstarbd

northstarbd

Aug 20, 2015
Quebec follows the Quebec rules for income, so as far as I know it's still 1 year. Go by what's on the Quebec website.
Thank you! That'll make life easier.

He doesn't meet the requirement for the 2014 if it is 3-year (2014-2016). But if 2017 return is included then he is good to meet 3-year (2015-2017) requirement too.

Daisy2018

Star Member
Mar 20, 2018
I didn't get selected this round, everyone is saying second round, was there actually a second round last year? does anyone know? how many more did they draw last year second round? and do you think there will be a second round this year? I'm very upset now :(

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I didn't get selected this round, everyone is saying second round, was there actually a second round last year? does anyone know? how many more did they draw last year second round? and do you think there will be a second round this year? I'm very upset now :(
CIC invited us for a second round last year. How many did they draw for the second round was not revealed.

Whether there will be a second round this year is anyone's guess.

Cheer up! It's a lottery! You can only win! You cannot lose! And it's the fairest way to deal with PGP! We should all be very happy that they have such a wonderful simple system in place. Excellent!

Meanwhile I will keep applying for my parents. Can't wait to win the lottery! Woo hoo!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes there was a second round last year.

There is no indication there will be a 2nd round this year, people are just guessing. If they accepted actually 15K apps under assumption lots will be ineligible, then there may not be a second round if they get close enough to the 10K target. But really nobody knows, all you can do is guess.

Reactions: nayr69sg

Daisy2018

Star Member
Mar 20, 2018
Yes there was a second round last year.

There is no indication there will be a 2nd round this year, people are just guessing. If they accepted actually 15K apps under assumption lots will be ineligible, then there may not be a second round if they get close enough to the 10K target. But really nobody knows, all you can do is guess.
you are indeed very positive, I hope both of us get selected if there's a second round this year.

My mom is visiting with super visa for these past couple years, her passport and SV expires in 3 years, and by then if I'm still not selected from this draw, i'd have to prepare to renew her SV, searched on this forum I don't think anyone has had experience with renewing SV yet given the age of the program, hope the renew is easier than initial application. (I don't know what I'm talking about o_O)

(I taged the wrong person @nayr69sg , but thank you for the reply)

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
If you think about it, it's just a lottery for health care coverage which works out to about maybe $1m or $2m for two parents.

You can also buy Lotto 649. Top prize is usually more than that. The minimum price of a ticket is $3.

Lotto Max is the other big one.

Many lotteries in Canada. Worth trying. Seriously I would rather win one of these Lotto lotteries than the PGP lottery. With the money I can get my parents here on supervisa buy the mandatory insurance and set aside $2m for their healthcare and still have lots of $$ to spare!

Wouldn't you agree?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
you are indeed very positive, I hope both of us get selected if there's a second round this year.

My mom is visiting with super visa for these past couple years, her passport and SV expires in 3 years, and by then if I'm still not selected from this draw, i'd have to prepare to renew her SV, searched on this forum I don't think anyone has had experience with renewing SV yet given the age of the program, hope the renew is easier than initial application. (I don't know what I'm talking about o_O)
you mean SV can expire? Damn. Why? It costs the govt nothing. Parents cannot work. Parents pay for healthcare themselves. So why can't they just let the parents stay long term till they pass on?

Rob, can you explain why SV has expiry date and needs to be renewed?