+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2017

ra2429

May 29, 2017
Yes, fill out the Rep form.

Check the 2015 and 2016 parent sponsorship threads for recent timelines.

Yes, you must be living in Canada and meet LICO until your parents actually land.

What happens if I go on maternity leave? I will not be meeting LICO for that year. Does IRCC take maternity leaves into consideration?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What happens if I go on maternity leave? I will not be meeting LICO for that year. Does IRCC take maternity leaves into consideration?
If you go on maternity leave and fail to meet LICO that year, you can expect a refusal. IRCC does not make exceptions for your personal life choices.

Reactions: jeffporfirio2

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Are PGP applications usually processed in Ottawa or in the visa office at our home country?
Usually from home country visa office.

If you go below LICO in any year before parents land, you should expect app to be rejected. Doesn't matter the reason (i.e maternity or any other reason).

Is your spouse a co-signer of the app? Just make sure even if you go on maternity, your family income remains above LICO amount. Note also once you have a baby, your family size will increase by +1 and LICO income requirement will increase to higher amount as of that tax year and going forward.

Mimimo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Yes, you need to assign yourself as the representative if you out your address for your parents' mailing address.
Thanks Canuck_in_uk, but in the guides they said Complete this form only if you:
• are appointing a representative
• have to update contact information for your previously appointed representative OR
• are cancelling a representative 's appointment
?????

ra2429

May 29, 2017
Usually from home country visa office.

If you go below LICO in any year before parents land, you should expect app to be rejected. Doesn't matter the reason (i.e maternity or any other reason).

Is your spouse a co-signer of the app? Just make sure even if you go on maternity, your family income remains above LICO amount. Note also once you have a baby, your family size will increase by +1 and LICO income requirement will increase to higher amount as of that tax year and going forward.
Thank you!

My spouse is not a co-signer but I can add him later, right? So as long as his income remains above LICO until my parents land, that should be okay?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you!

My spouse is not a co-signer but I can add him later, right? So as long as his income remains above LICO until my parents land, that should be okay?
You can add a co-signer later, but only if there is a change in family composition and only from that year forward. So in the tax year you have your baby and family size increases by +1, this will cause a re-assessment of income and for that tax year going forward you can have your spouse's income count as co-signer.

Your spouses income can NOT be added to your income for assessment at family size you submitted app with since you did not have a co-signer at that time.

See here for more info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob324.asp

Last edited:
Reactions: ra2429

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuck_in_uk, but in the guides they said Complete this form only if you:
• are appointing a representative
• have to update contact information for your previously appointed representative OR
• are cancelling a representative 's appointment
?????
Your parents need to appoint you as their representative if you put your mailing address instead of theirs. Otherwise, you are not authorized to recieve correspondence on their behalf. Applications are returned for just this reason.

ra2429

May 29, 2017
What would be the application number for the Background / Declaration form? Should this be left empty or is it the confirmation number received with the invitation letter from IRCC?

Also, my address changed recently and it is not the same as the address on the invitation letter from IRCC. Will this cause any problems? Should I include a letter with my application to say my address changed?

ra2429

May 29, 2017
My father is retired. What should I write for his "intended occupation"? He is also over 65 years old. Should this field be left blank?

ra2429

May 29, 2017
Another question:

For form IMM5406 (Additional Family Information): My father and mother, each has to fill out their own copies of this form. My father is the principal applicant for this entire application. For my mother's IMM5406 form, does she have to indicate that she is the applicant and fill out my father's details for spouse?

Mimimo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Your parents need to appoint you as their representative if you put your mailing address instead of theirs. Otherwise, you are not authorized to recieve correspondence on their behalf. Applications are returned for just this reason.
Much appreciated! Just I have to fill out for my dad or for my mom separate as well?

Mimimo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Another question:

For form IMM5406 (Additional Family Information): My father and mother, each has to fill out their own copies of this form. My father is the principal applicant for this entire application. For my mother's IMM5406 form, does she have to indicate that she is the applicant and fill out my father's details for spouse?
Yes that's right

Mimimo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017
Another question:

But I need to add a extra page because section C I need more space do you know I have to keep everything on the second page or not?