+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

parents and grandparent sponsorship:question about Dependant

cedrickcd

Dec 27, 2022
Hello everyone,

I've received the invitation letter to apply for the parents and grandparent sponsorship program and I'm thinkin' to use it so my mother could come see her grand-kids etc. She has my younger sister as dependent (she has autism and won't be able to survive alone if left there - got all the medical docs to prove in case CIC asks).

I'm not sure if i can add her (my young sister) on this form as accompanying family member/dependant of my mother?

Has anyone ever used this program and add this type of dependent?

For context: My wife and I are Canadian (got my citizenship this year - was perm resident, she was born here)

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've received the invitation letter to apply for the parents and grandparent sponsorship program and I'm thinkin' to use it so my mother could come see her grand-kids etc. She has my younger sister as dependent (she has autism and won't be able to survive alone if left there - got all the medical docs to prove in case CIC asks).

I'm not sure if i can add her (my young sister) on this form as accompanying family member/dependant of my mother?

Has anyone ever used this program and add this type of dependent?

For context: My wife and I are Canadian (got my citizenship this year - was perm resident, she was born here)

Thank you
Is your mother married? How old is your sister? She can add your sister if you can prove her diagnosis. You will have to show that she is unable to live independantly, unable to work/go to school etc. Everyone will have to pass the medical. Do you meet LICO for everyone?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

Last edited:

cedrickcd

Dec 27, 2022
Is your mother married? She can add your sister if you can prove her diagnosis. You will have to show that she is unable to live independantly, unable to work/go to school etc. Everyone will have to pass the medical. Do you meet LICO for everyone?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html
Thanks a lot for this reply.
Yes we've got all the diag/med documents and can prove that she hasn't work/school since.

Not sure what's a lico? Tried Googling and it looks like it's a low income cut off?

As of now, wife and i makes over 6 digits each and I've checked the requirements, it looks like we are ok?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes we've got all the diag/med documents and can prove that she hasn't work/school since.

Not sure what's a lico? Tried Googling and it looks like it's a low income cut off?

As of now, wife and i makes over 6 digits each and I've checked the requirements, it looks like we are ok?

Thanks
If you were invited for PGP then you submitted a profile in 2020. You need to show LICO (on the PGP page) for the last 3 years for all people in your family (spouse, children, parents, sister). If you have made over 6 figures for the last 3 years then you are fine.

As for you sister, whatever care/therapy she needs in Canada will most likely come out of pocket. Assume she will live with you too.

cedrickcd

Dec 27, 2022
If you were invited for PGP then you submitted a profile in 2020. You need to show LICO (on the PGP page) for the last 3 years for all people in your family (spouse, children, parents, sister). If you have made over 6 figures for the last 3 years then you are fine.

As for you sister, whatever care/therapy she needs in Canada will most likely come out of pocket. Assume she will live with you too.
Thank you very much. This is exactly what i wanted to understand . And you are correct, I've submitted this long timr ago and was surprised that they've actually picked my profile.

Again, thanks for your reply, much appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks
Did you qualify to enter the pool in 2020 if you recently got citizenship? IRCC may actually start enforcing the requirement to have qualified to enter the 2020 pool. When adding adult dependents to a PGP application there is a catch 22. They must prove they so ill/disabled that they are dependent on their parents for medical reasons but also must prove that they will not place an excessive demand on the healthcare system or other services. For example what would happen if your mother passed away or is too ill to care for your sister will your sister be able to remain in the home unsupervised during the day? There are very limited services for autistic adults after the age of 21 in Canada. Would your family be in a financial position to pay for 24/7 care or would you or your spouse have to stop working or could one of you work from home. It really will depend on the specific needs of your sister. If she would already qualify for disability payments that places an excessive demand on Canada from the start.

cedrickcd

Dec 27, 2022
Did you qualify to enter the pool in 2020 if you recently got citizenship? IRCC may actually start enforcing the requirement to have qualified to enter the 2020 pool. When adding adult dependents to a PGP application there is a catch 22. They must prove they so ill/disabled that they are dependent on their parents for medical reasons but also must prove that they will not place an excessive demand on the healthcare system or other services. For example what would happen if your mother passed away or is too ill to care for your sister will your sister be able to remain in the home unsupervised during the day? There are very limited services for autistic adults after the age of 21 in Canada. Would your family be in a financial position to pay for 24/7 care or would you or your spouse have to stop working or could one of you work from home. It really will depend on the specific needs of your sister. If she would already qualify for disability payments that places an excessive demand on Canada from the start.
Yes I've qualified before 2020 as a resident. I understand that i will take care of both of them and that's really not an issue money wise. My concern was to understand if i could add her as dependant and reading through the forms/guides and in some post from this forum, i guess it's a 50/50 chances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I've qualified before 2020 as a resident. I understand that i will take care of both of them and that's really not an issue money wise. My concern was to understand if i could add her as dependant and reading through the forms/guides and in some post from this forum, i guess it's a 50/50 chances.
Did your family meet LICO for 2018, 2019 and 2020 to qualify to enter the 2020 pool? Being a resident is not enough. Yes you can and should add her if your sister can not live alone and is dependent on your parents for medical and financial reasons. Canada does not want families to abandon vulnerable family members in their home country which is why whole families have to pass the medical and be approved or nobody is approved.

cedrickcd

Dec 27, 2022
Did your family meet LICO for 2018, 2019 and 2020 to qualify to enter the 2020 pool? Being a resident is not enough. Yes you can and should add her if your sister can not live alone and is dependent on your parents for medical and financial reasons. Canada does not want families to abandon vulnerable family members in their home country which is why whole families have to pass the medical and be approved or nobody is approved.
Yes, for myself i have met the income requirements ever since i was done university and started to work, no problem. I remember before submitting my application, i went through all the requirements and i was fine by myself.

Reactions: canuck78

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, for myself i have met the income requirements ever since i was done university and started to work, no problem. I remember before submitting my application, i went through all the requirements and i was fine by myself.
When did you become PR? If your sister was a dependant all along with a long term disability she would have been included in your 2020 submission and you would have met LICO for her too.