+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

parental sponsorship - applied while in Canada - currently in the US.

Ed

Jun 14, 2010
Hi,

I am a naturalized Canadian citizen. I became citizen in 2001. I had filed a sponsorship application for my parents back in July of 2007. I have a letter from CIC acknowledging that they have received the application dated Sep 2007. Things changed since then; I am now in the US (moved here on Nov/2009) on H1 visa set to expire on May of 2013. Also, my mom expired in the beginning of this year. So, that leaves just my dad. I also sold my house in Toronto. Given that I have sold my house in Toronto and no longer present in Canada - how can I still continue with sponsoring my dad now? Even when "Proccesd In Canada" part is completed in few months ( I am thinking Sep/Oct of 2010) - there is at least 2 years from India. Chances are that I will return to Canada within the next two years. So my assumption is that the once CIC starts my processing - they will want to know if I am still in Canada - to which I can not lie and say that I am now in the US, having sold my house in Canada.

So, the question is how can I still keep my sponsorship application in queue (for another 2 years)? I can gladly buy a condo in toronto to show my intention of returning to Canada. Would that help/affirm?

Any information is much appreciated.

Ed.

I

iarblue

Well it states that if there is any changes in your marital or living status you must tell them of the changes have you done this?And did you tell them your mom has passed as they are to be notified of this too.
So once you have told them this you may not be eligable to sponsor as you are now a resident of the US.

Ed

Jun 14, 2010
I know I "may" not be eligible. But given that it will take another 2-3 years for the decision is made, by which time, honestly, I may be back in Canada. Is there any list of proofs that I need to submit so that indicate that I have every intention to returning to Canada.

Has anyone gone through this?

Ed.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you should have received your parents sponsorship approval in Canada or would be receiving in couple of weeks.

A guy on trackitt.com has filed for parents sponsorship on July 16, 2007 and he was approved today of his parents sponsorship. So you should have heard something from CIC by now or would be hearing soon by mail at your mailing address.

Did you file your taxes for 2009. I would suggest that you come back to Canada ASAP, or risk your parents (father) sponsorship/immigration application.

You have to meet the income requirements until your parents are stamped immigrant visa. If you are living in US, how you are gonna show your Canadian residency and canadian income.

I'd recommend you talk to some canadian consultant/lawyer.

I think you could save your father's application, if you have filed taxes for 2009, move to Canada ASAP and maintain income (above LICO) in 2010.

Ed

Jun 14, 2010
Hi Raj,

I already filed 2009 taxes - back in april. I filed 2009 taxes as a resident of Ontario. I was a resident of Ontario until Dec 31, 2009. My income is still more than required for sponsorship. Is coming back the only option? Do you know any attorney who can help me on this?

Thanks
Ed

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ed,

I do not know any lawyer/consultant. I filed for parents sponsorship by myself.

I know from other forums that if you are a canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while living abroad. However, if you are sponsorsing parents then you have to physically reside in Canada and meet the income requirement untill parents immigration is finalized.

While you look for lawers, please contact people on other forums - (trackitt (dot) com) is a good one.

Also, next year in 2010 taxes, it will come that you are a resident of USA. I think it is gonna be an issue.

It is your personal decision, however, I strongly suggest that make a sound decision with keeping in view of all the pros and cons.

Proposal 1 - If you move to Canada in a month or so, then you could file taxes next year for 2010 in Canada, and continue to remain a canadian resident.

Raj