+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Visiting - ticket and insurance

dreamerchant

Mar 23, 2015
Hello Experts:

Hello. My mother got Visitor Visa and will be coming over here. I got few queries:
A. Whether she would be asked to show return air ticket at the immigration when she's coming, as she might be staying for 6 to 9 months. Or, should I get one way ticket for her now?
B. When should I get health insurance for her? Before arrival or after arrival?
C. Do you have any suggestion for a good insurance company for Alberta with competitive price for visitor Insurance?

Expert opinion please and thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but
a) no way to predict if she will be asked to show a return ticket but will expect be asked purpose and length of stay so probably best to have a return ticket which can in fact be more economical than 2 singles.
B) if you can buy insurance in home country as that should include medical repatriation something not easy to get with an in country insurance plus of course travel insurance usually excludes existing medical conditions
C) no idea but expect a quick search will show some options for visitor insurance.

Note travellers into Canada are only allowed to bring a 90 day supply of any medication beyond that would need to pay for and get a supply in Canada

Last edited:

Joshemir

Jun 23, 2015
St. John's, NL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Experts:

Hello. My mother got Visitor Visa and will be coming over here. I got few queries:
A. Whether she would be asked to show return air ticket at the immigration when she's coming, as she might be staying for 6 to 9 months. Or, should I get one way ticket for her now?
B. When should I get health insurance for her? Before arrival or after arrival?
C. Do you have any suggestion for a good insurance company for Alberta with competitive price for visitor Insurance?

Expert opinion please and thanks.
Not an expert but, oh well.

A. Your mom can stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months. So yeah, you can book a roundtrip ticket. (She cannot stay for 9 months unless you ally to extend her stay here.)

Is it a supervisa? Then... She can stay here for 24 months tops. One way ticket will never be a problem as long as she can convince the IO that you will leave Canada after your stay. (This is a little tricky, because health insurance is only valid for 12 months, and tickets cannot be booked more than 11 months in advance.) If you are pretty sure that she will only stay for 9 months, book the roundtrip ticket (and it’s cheap too). If you are hesitant to book one-way ticket, book a rebookable (?) roundtrip ticket. The only catch here is that IOs can stamp your mom’s passport valid until the return date in your ticket. I know it sounds unreal but, who knows, it could happen.

B. Get it before the arrival so you need not to worry once the IOs ask for it.

C. Not sure. I heard Manulife and Blue Cross are good, but expensive.