+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsorship

Logan5

Feb 19, 2019
Hi, my son and I are US citizens. He will be getting PR soon. From the regulations I have read, for him to sponsor me into Canada, he must meet certain income amounts for 3 years, and then verify he will/can provide support for the next 20 years. He works in the arts, in a technical position. He may hit the income limits, maybe not. But the reality is I have considerable assets, so I actually send him money. I have always run my own company, and currently I am liquidating everything in anticipation of moving, somewhere. It was supposed to be Canada, but the programs I do qualify for I will be point wise on the bottom of the heap, so unlikely, which leaves me with Family Sponsorship. Is there a way to apply to bring in a well off parent who will not need your kid's financial support?

Reactions: snoopyta

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but unfortunately do not believe it matters how wealthy parents are as far as qualifying for parent/grandparent sponsorship. The support rule is in place to ensure that sponsors do not take on the responsibility of sponsoring parents/grandparents lightly given age and future health care conditions. Many parents/grandparents in this category are not necessarily financially secure so the rules have to be consistent and not biased for haves or have nots either way whatever the reality.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is there a way to apply to bring in a well off parent who will not need your kid's financial support?
No - there's isn't. To quality to sponsor a parent, you must meet the income requirements for three years running and that income must be from Canadian sources.

Your options are to wait until your son has income to qualify and is selected, or to continue to try to qualify on your own through an economic immigration stream.

Reactions: Buletruck