+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsorship guide?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
I am a born and raised Canadian. My wife has PR and will be applying for citizenship next year. We would like to sponsor her mom. Can someone please give me a quick outline of the process, is it still a lottery or we just apply and they process it?

My mother in law currently has a 10 year visitor visa. If she gets picked for sponsorship, does that mean she will get her PR right away? also, would this be wise to apply now or wait until my wife is a citizen, we meet/exceed the income requirements.

Also, what does the processing time look like for this, 1 year plus I am assuming?

Sorry for the ignorance, I can only find the "parent and grandparent processing" thread, but it does not explain it at all.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's a lottery to be invited to apply. The lottery needs to be open to apply to it.

If you are picked to apply, you will not get PR immediately, despite a ten-year multiple entry (max stay 6mo) visa. It will still take some time to process the PR.

You must not apply until you meet or exceed the income requirements.

Processing is more than 1 year.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
It's a lottery to be invited to apply. The lottery needs to be open to apply to it.

If you are picked to apply, you will not get PR immediately, despite a ten-year multiple entry (max stay 6mo) visa. It will still take some time to process the PR.

You must not apply until you meet or exceed the income requirements.

Processing is more than 1 year.
great, thanks for the response. We meet all the requirements, when does the lottery open, Jan 1st? What is it that we need to provide to enter the lottery?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a born and raised Canadian. My wife has PR and will be applying for citizenship next year. We would like to sponsor her mom. Can someone please give me a quick outline of the process, is it still a lottery or we just apply and they process it?

My mother in law currently has a 10 year visitor visa. If she gets picked for sponsorship, does that mean she will get her PR right away? also, would this be wise to apply now or wait until my wife is a citizen, we meet/exceed the income requirements.

Also, what does the processing time look like for this, 1 year plus I am assuming?

Sorry for the ignorance, I can only find the "parent and grandparent processing" thread, but it does not explain it at all.
No longer a lottery. As of this year, it is a first in process to submit the interest form. For this year, the interest form was only open for about 10 minutes before all spots were filled.

Having a TRV means zero for the PR app.

Doesn't matter if your wife is a citizen or PR.

Expect a few years.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
No longer a lottery. As of this year, it is a first in process to submit the interest form. For this year, the interest form was only open for about 10 minutes before all spots were filled.

Having a TRV means zero for the PR app.

Doesn't matter if your wife is a citizen or PR.

Expect a few years.
wow, how do you find out when it opens, people are just refreshing the site all the time?? crazy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Lots of information available if you google. Would look at requirements for this year to prepare for next year although there is no guarantee that process will remain the same.