28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I person

So YOU are telling me that Canadian Born Citizens and Naturalized Citizens DO NOT HAVE the same rights under the law? We are NOT equal? If we are equal why I DO NOT have right my parents to live in the SAME COUNTRY I LIVE? My parents are IMMEDIATE FAMILY Members! If you can take care of YOUR parents when they are old WHY CANT I take care of them? Because I am naturalized citizen? Is that your logic? AND Trust ME Taxes Naturalized citizens pay and jobs we take DO contribute to this country's economy greatly that you and your parents benefit from it as well! No Immigration law or FORM ever said that I will NEVER be able to bring my parents in the country I am immigrating!

I did not see ANYWHERE ON THE FORM OR CIC WEBSITE A NOTE SAYING - Hey you Kate you will NEVER be able to bring your parents in this country!

"The taxes YOU pay, are for when YOU eventually will have to use the system , not your parents" - THIS IS WRONG! TAXES I PAY TODAY ARE GOING TOWARDS ALL THE PROGRAMS CANADIAN PEOPLE BENEFIT FROM INCLUDING THE ELDERLY PARENTS OF CANADIAN BORN CITIZENS!
Naturalized citizens and Canadian born citizen have the same rights under immigration law as it relates to their parents. In both cases, parents are not classified as immediate family members.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I person

So YOU are telling me that Canadian Born Citizens and Naturalized Citizens DO NOT HAVE the same rights under the law? We are NOT equal? If we are equal why I DO NOT have right my parents to live in the SAME COUNTRY I LIVE? My parents are IMMEDIATE FAMILY Members! If you can take care of YOUR parents when they are old WHY CANT I take care of them? Because I am naturalized citizen? Is that your logic? AND Trust ME Taxes Naturalized citizens pay and jobs we take DO contribute to this country's economy greatly that you and your parents benefit from it as well! No Immigration law or FORM ever said that I will NEVER be able to bring my parents in the country I am immigrating!

I did not see ANYWHERE ON THE FORM OR CIC WEBSITE A NOTE SAYING - Hey you Kate you will NEVER be able to bring your parents in this country!

"The taxes YOU pay, are for when YOU eventually will have to use the system , not your parents" - THIS IS WRONG! TAXES I PAY TODAY ARE GOING TOWARDS ALL THE PROGRAMS CANADIAN PEOPLE BENEFIT FROM INCLUDING THE ELDERLY PARENTS OF CANADIAN BORN CITIZENS!
Kate, you can still have a chance to bring your parents in this country. It's a lottery system (until they change it).

You can advocate to change the current programs. But the PGP program likely have been the same since you applied for PR. (if not worst, look at the 2019 first come first serve program, the 5000 limit for 2014 program ...etc )
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ircc-parent-grandparent-sponsorship-filled-2019-1.4995806#:~:text=Politics-,Online applications to sponsor family immigrants hit limit in less,the new system is flawed.

PGP is still changing and I think IRCC is trying to find a balance between number of application, who can apply and how long the application takes to process. (e.g. 10 years for some cases... back then when there was no cap nor lottory)

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
Kate, you can still have a chance to bring your parents in this country. It's a lottery system (until they change it).

You can advocate to change the current programs. But the PGP program likely have been the same since you applied for PR. (if not worst, look at the 2019 first come first serve program, the 5000 limit for 2014 program ...etc )
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ircc-parent-grandparent-sponsorship-filled-2019-1.4995806#:~:text=Politics-,Online applications to sponsor family immigrants hit limit in less,the new system is flawed.

PGP is still changing and I think IRCC is trying to find a balance between number of application, who can apply and how long the application takes to process. (e.g. 10 years for some cases... back then when there was no cap nor lottory)

Thats my concern there should NEVER be a lottery system for the parents! You cannot win your parents in Lottery. That is the most unconstitutional thing I have ever heard! If one immigrant family wins their parents in lottery, they have chance to live with their parents last days of their lives and take care of them and if other immigrant family does not win their parents in the lottery their parents have to die alone somewhere in different country? Or we, Canadian citizens have to leave our homes in Canada, our careers, our jobs, schools, and go to a different country to take care of our elderly parents? where's the logic here?

I think there are over 200K applicants for PG program each year and they get to choose only 20-30K? What happens to the rest of the people and families? We need to speak up and make this system more fair to immigrants who contribute to this great country's economy!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thats my concern there should NEVER be a lottery system for the parents! You cannot win your parents in Lottery. That is the most unconstitutional thing I have ever heard! If one immigrant family wins their parents in lottery, they have chance to live with their parents last days of their lives and take care of them and if other immigrant family does not win their parents in the lottery their parents have to die alone somewhere in different country? Or we, Canadian citizens have to leave our homes in Canada, our careers, our jobs, schools, and go to a different country to take care of our elderly parents? where's the logic here?

I think there are over 200K applicants for PG program each year and they get to choose only 20-30K? What happens to the rest of the people and families? We need to speak up and make this system more fair to immigrants who contribute to this great country's economy!
So you support the first come first serve program that limited the applications to 5000 or 10000?
They also tried to allow unlimited numbers of applications and ended up piling up applications and people waited years if not 10 years for them to be processed. And many parents ended up failing the medical as they aged waiting for the application to be reviewed.

Kate_20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
So you support the first come first serve program that limited the applications to 5000 or 10000?
They also tried to allow unlimited numbers of applications and ended up piling up applications and people waited years if not 10 years for them to be processed. And many parents ended up failing the medical as they aged waiting for the application to be reviewed.

Absolutely NO that is the worst program once can implement! I believe Every naturalized Canadian citizen who has job and can show proof of employment, notice of assessment, financial undertaking, should be allowed to file sponsorship form and bring their parents in the country of their residence. Processing times also should be exactly the same as for dependent children and spouses! Child, Spouse, and parent are ALL family and processing times should be the same for ALL FAMILY members without discrimination. Is spouse more important than a mother or a father? I dont think so! What if Im not married and my only family are my parents?? Why do you deprive me a right to have a family in the country of my residence? Why are you not letting me bring my family here if you are letting married person bring his/her spouse here?

Do you know that Ukrainian refugees can file for PR starting October 2023 if they have a parent, child, or sibling residing in Canada as part of family reunification program? What about me? I am a Canadian citizen living here 10+ years working hard and never been unemployed. Why should I play lottery to win my parents? Can this become any more unfair to us? Lets say Ukrainian refugee parent who has a child in Canada will apply for PR this October but my parents have to die alone in their country? WHY????

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Absolutely NO that is the worst program once can implement! I believe Every naturalized Canadian citizen who has job and can show proof of employment, notice of assessment, financial undertaking, should be allowed to file sponsorship form and bring their parents in the country of their residence. Processing times also should be exactly the same as for dependent children and spouses! Child, Spouse, and parent are ALL family and processing times should be the same for ALL FAMILY members without discrimination. Is spouse more important than a mother or a father? I dont think so! What if Im not married and my only family are my parents?? Why do you deprive me a right to have a family in the country of my residence? Why are you not letting me bring my family here if you are letting married person bring his/her spouse here?

Do you know that Ukrainian refugees can file for PR starting October 2023 if they have a parent, child, or sibling residing in Canada as part of family reunification program? What about me? I am a Canadian citizen living here 10+ years working hard and never been unemployed. Why should I play lottery to win my parents? Can this become any more unfair to us? Lets say Ukrainian refugee parent who has a child in Canada will apply for PR this October but my parents have to die alone in their country? WHY????
sorry. Can't answer your question. It's a tough one.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

I do wish people would quit throwing "unconstitutional" around without actually knowing what is and isn't unconstitutional. Which of your rights are being denied? You may not feel it's fair, or that the process is biased, but that's the policy. No government is going to open up a program that freely allows parents or grandparents to freely gain a PR just because they have family here. As someone who also pays taxes, I wouldn't stand for it.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
do you have parents alive? If so, where do they live my fellow tax payer? So you want immigrats to come to Canada, work their ass off make this country great economically and demographically but their parents have to die alone back home? While Canadian born citizens can take their parents to doctor’s appointments, cook meals, spend weekends together, and spend valuable time with people who gave birth and raised them? You dont want to give this human luxury to me??? why??? what did I do to you?? Why ARE YOU depriving me this right? A right to have a family??? What if I am not married and never will be married and my only family are my parents? You are depriving me a right to have a family by putting me into lottery system to WIN my family? If I dont WIN lottery I never get chance to have family?!! How is this constitutional? or in YOUR opinion Spouse and children are family and parents ARE NOT family?? Trust me I know Constitutional rights and I know what I am talking about! You said No Govt will allow that? How come US allows that??? And most of the developed countries allow that???? Why not Canada?? because YOU dont feel like having my mom here??????? Because you want her to be Alone???? but you want me to work my ass off here and contribute to your economy so you live a comfortable life?????
You made a choice to become a PR, plain and simple. That came with some conditions, and if you didn't comprehend them, you should have consulted someone who could clarify it for you. Clearly you don't understand what the charter covers. Sorry the PGP program hasn't panned out for you and I hope your luck changes. It if it doesn't, life's full of difficult choices that it seems you will have to consider.

Mpbains89

Aug 3, 2023
We, Canadian citizens who are paying taxes years and years dont have right to live with our parents in the same country. Instead our government is thinking how to bring more students, more workers, more refugees... I have nothing against them let them bring whoever and let us all help them too but why depriving hard working Canadians right to bring parents in and reside with them until they are alive? They are the ones who raised us and gave birth. So unfair and unconstitutional. We dont say anything, we dont complain, we just hope every year that we will be selected in this lottery pool of 200K applications. We need to wait 20 years probably to be selected, IF LUCKY. Our parents will be alive by then? Maybe we need to speak up?
I have been trying to bring my parents here for 2 years 3 refused visas they say they won’t go back yet almost every student I have spoken to says tgere parents have visited or are here not fair our system does suck

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
do you have parents alive? If so, where do they live my fellow tax payer? So you want immigrats to come to Canada, work their ass off make this country great economically and demographically but their parents have to die alone back home? While Canadian born citizens can take their parents to doctor’s appointments, cook meals, spend weekends together, and spend valuable time with people who gave birth and raised them? You dont want to give this human luxury to me??? why??? what did I do to you?? Why ARE YOU depriving me this right? A right to have a family??? What if I am not married and never will be married and my only family are my parents? You are depriving me a right to have a family by putting me into lottery system to WIN my family? If I dont WIN lottery I never get chance to have family?!! How is this constitutional? or in YOUR opinion Spouse and children are family and parents ARE NOT family?? Trust me I know Constitutional rights and I know what I am talking about! You said No Govt will allow that? How come US allows that??? And most of the developed countries allow that???? Why not Canada?? because YOU dont feel like having my mom here??????? Because you want her to be Alone???? but you want me to work my ass off here and contribute to your economy so you live a comfortable life?????
Are you ok ?

Because you sure as hell sound like you’re coming off your hinges

Jesus , hope you don’t operate heavy machinery

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It has been 14 years and I dont have a right to have a family??? Share the policy and the charter that SAYS YOU CAN NEVER HAVE A FAMILY IN CANDA AND YOU CAN NEVER BRING YOUR PARENTS HERE! If you can bring your spouse and children WHY CANT I BRING MY PARENTS? MY PARENTS ARE NOT FAMILY? YOUR SPOUSE AND CHILDREN ARE FAMILY BUT NOT MY PARENTS?????
It's shocking.. so you have tried 14 years (or maybe 10 years since you need 3 years of income for LICO) and couldn't get PGP application started?
It's really sad. If you miss your parents so much, may be time to take a long vacation and stay with them a bit. You can advocate. But things will not change over night and looks like you may need to spend some time with your parents soon. Apply for super visa so that you can at lesat do some of the things with them here.

immig_IT_guy

Jan 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Not Sure
Med's Request
23-12-2014
Med's Done....
03-01-2015, FBI PCC submitted on 03-04-2015
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-12-2015
Because we allow it! There was a bad system back in the days where they were mistreating first Nations people and African Americans! And guess what they were saying to them... Didnt you know you were a Slave? How come you a demanding certain rights now? You are a slave so be quiet! Same is happening now you are an immigrant so do your work and hush! Who gave you right to say you want your parents here? Didn't you review charters and policy??? We need you here to fill the jobs that Canadians dont want to take and pay taxes to strengthen the economy but hush about wanting to have a family here!

Hi Kate,

I can relate to your pain. I have been waiting for my parents PR since last 4 years.
Both my parents are getting older and it is tough to be away from them.

One correction to your point, every year since 2020. Lottery is pulled from 2020 quota since the application count for 2020 is very high.
So, you will get your parents application processed at some point if you filed for their PR in 2020.

So, why do they not allow applications to be processed for PGP without yearly quota?
Simply, because our Healthcare system/ Social system cannot support it. If you have ever been to a walk-in, emergency you know how bad it is..

Why do they take refugees in?
We simply do not have enough people to work, look at the number of vacancies. We need more people to work as our existing population is aging. This is a public healthcare system so we need taxes to pay for it.

You can still bring your parents here on Super visa, it will give them 5 years to stay at a time but with no health coverage.

Does US offer this? NO, I have my friends in US whose parents can only stay upto 6 months at a time.
I would say be contempt with what you have currently.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
They refused 3 times super visa to my parents saying they will overstay. I cant take long vacations as I only have 3 weeks max a year. I just feel super lonely here especially on weekends and holidays when everyone is enjoying family time :(
I can tell you that not EVERYONE is enjoying family time.

Anyway, you need to order GCMS notes to find out exactly why you get super visa refused.
They don't usually refuse supervisa with risk of overstay. How did you come a PR back then?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
The US actually allows parents to be sponsored and there's no cap on sponsorship. The issue with sponsoring your parents to the US is health care. Parents are generally older when you sponsor them and getting health care insurance is extremely expensive and unaffordable for many. So it's not an immigration limitation. US immigration law 100% allows this. It's a health insurance coverage / health care expense limitation.
Indeed. It is a coverage/health care issue. This is why in my only comment earlier in the thread I suggested that a middle-of-the-path approach could be to at least allow Canadian citizens who have financial means to support their parent's healthcare to bring their parents without playing the stupid lottery system. From what I recall, the average cost of tax-funded healthcare per person in Canada is around $6K. Considering parents are going to be in their later stages of life, a higher amount (maybe 10K, maybe 15K,) could be set for their insurance expenses. This will also reduce the demand/load on the other PGP stream as Canadians who have the means to finance their parent's healthcare would be glad to bypass the queue/lottery system.

Honestly, I am no expert, but I am sure the govt can do a lot better in this regard. Just my 2 cents.