+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parallel WP extension and BOWP application

silentsunami

Aug 8, 2020
Hi,
Currently I had submitted my PR application and awaiting approval from IRCC. My existing closed WP expiring end of next month and my employer had initiated the WP extension process.

Now come the tough part, my existing company do not intend to renew my job contract and will be terminating end of next month as well.

Can I apply for BOWP while the existing WP extension still in progress?

Many thanks in advance

deepk94

Feb 13, 2020
Under which class you submitted your PR application? Is it FSWC, CEC, FSTC or Provincial Nominee Class?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hi,
Currently I had submitted my PR application and awaiting approval from IRCC. My existing closed WP expiring end of next month and my employer had initiated the WP extension process.

Now come the tough part, my existing company do not intend to renew my job contract and will be terminating end of next month as well.

Can I apply for BOWP while the existing WP extension still in progress?

Many thanks in advance
Have you checked what's the status of the other application? I'm guessing your employer probably withdrew it at this point, right?
In that case you should definitely apply for BOWP, you may attach an LOE if you want.

silentsunami

Aug 8, 2020
Thanks. As far as I know, my employer still haven't withdraw the WP extension yet. One more question, if I submit BOWP application, will it affect my PR application which currently still in progress?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Thanks. As far as I know, my employer still haven't withdraw the WP extension yet. One more question, if I submit BOWP application, will it affect my PR application which currently still in progress?
Not at all, it's the other way around, your BOWP will only get approved after your PR application reaches certain progress, and if at the end your PR doesn't get approved for some reason, your BOWP will also get cancelled eventually.

gks123

Jul 8, 2020
I'm in a similar situation. But until you receive your BOWP, can you start a new job if you were previously on a closed work permit?
I'm not getting a clear answer to this question.. I'll be submitting my PR application this week and then apply for BOWP. My closed work permit expires end September...I will also be officially terminated around then. Can I start a new job on implied status?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
I'm in a similar situation. But until you receive your BOWP, can you start a new job if you were previously on a closed work permit?
I'm not getting a clear answer to this question.. I'll be submitting my PR application this week and then apply for BOWP. My closed work permit expires end September...I will also be officially terminated around then. Can I start a new job on implied status?
From what I understand, no. Implied status in Canada means you continue legally with the last status you had until a decision is made on your new application, so you may continue working for the same employer from your closed WP, but does not give you an open WP status yet until it´s approved.