+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parallel work permit processing

suddeb

Star Member
Mar 25, 2013
Hi Friend,

I am currently working in Canada in closed work permit. My existing work permit is about to expire in April'17 and my current employer is planning to apply for extension of work permit (Closed Work Permit). Now I have few doubts in this situation -

1. Is it possible that a new employer can parallelly apply for another work permit extension (separate work permit for new employer) when I am holding an existing closed work permit from my current employer or the same is under processing?
2. With Closed Work Permit, if I resign from my current employer, can I still stay in Canada and wait for the new work permit(by my new employer) to be issued and then start working?

Thanks,

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
suddeb said:
Hi Friend,

I am currently working in Canada in closed work permit. My existing work permit is about to expire in April'17 and my current employer is planning to apply for extension of work permit (Closed Work Permit). Now I have few doubts in this situation -

1. Is it possible that a new employer can parallelly apply for another work permit extension (separate work permit for new employer) when I am holding an existing closed work permit from my current employer or the same is under processing?
2. With Closed Work Permit, if I resign from my current employer, can I still stay in Canada and wait for the new work permit(by my new employer) to be issued and then start working?

Thanks,

1. Yes its possible. You'll need a new LMIA from the new employer and use that to apply for a closed wp.

2. Yes you can stay but can't work until your new wp is approved.

suddeb

Star Member
Mar 25, 2013
Thanks for your quick reply.

So if I receive my extended work permit (Closed) with my existing employer and

1. my new employer applied to change the condition of my work permit (i.e. change the employer to the new one or make it open etc), then I can still continue to stay in Canada after resigning from my existing employer. Correct? I may not be able to work with my new employer until and unless the new work permit request is approved by CIC. Please let me know if my understanding is correct? Thanks.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
suddeb said:
Thanks for your quick reply.

So if I receive my extended work permit (Closed) with my existing employer and

1. my new employer applied to change the condition of my work permit (i.e. change the employer to the new one or make it open etc), then I can still continue to stay in Canada after resigning from my existing employer. Correct? I may not be able to work with my new employer until and unless the new work permit request is approved by CIC. Please let me know if my understanding is correct? Thanks.

Yes that's right. Until your current wp expires.

manishsap21

Dec 21, 2020
Yes that's right. Until your current wp expires.
Need some help and expert advise
I got an invite in the recent CEC draw and planning to submit the EE profile by Aug 2021 end as PCC is awaited.
My closed work permit is valid till Dec 2021 and the company has visibility for 2022 end so had asked to apply for an extension.
1. Should I apply for WP extension now and then submit PR application? I don't want my company to know about my PR application.
2. If I submit for PR application by Aug end, can I still plan to submit the Work Permit extension by Sept or Oct. Will this cause an issue?
3. My spouse is on Open work permit based on my closed WP and daughter is on dependent visitor visa. We have applied for TRV in Feb 20 but it's still awaited.
Do we need to wait for TRV to come before we apply for an extension?
Thank you in advance.