+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper or Online application for outland spouse? Thanks

butla

Jun 23, 2021
Hey there, I'm going to apply PR for my spouse who is not currently in Canada. I see that both paper and online applications are available for this type of application. Just wondering since online is much more convenient, why would people still choose to apply by mailing in the documents.

Can I apply for a work permit for my spouse as well? Thank you very much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey there, I'm going to apply PR for my spouse who is not currently in Canada. I see that both paper and online applications are available for this type of application. Just wondering since online is much more convenient, why would people still choose to apply by mailing in the documents.

Can I apply for a work permit for my spouse as well? Thank you very much
A work permit is not possible if you are sponsoring your spouse outland. It's only possible if both you and your spouse are in Canada and you apply to sponsor your spouse inland.

I believe the jury is still out on whether the online or paper process is faster. But I'll let others comment on that.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just wondering since online is much more convenient, why would people still choose to apply by mailing in the documents.
Applying online is:
-a bit less convenient for inland because OWP has to be applied for separately, and while theoretically fine, seems another point of confusion and potential failure.
-much more convenient for those who have to juggle signatures and documents since they're all basically scanned.
-confusion about some specific aspects is worse - esp eg which require physical (but scanned) vs 'electronic' signatures, but also a few bit where instructions seem to have become less clear. So probalby somewhat higher rate of return as incomplete.
-As noted by another poster, AOR takes longer - seemingly significant longer (but unclear).

I would summarize this way: a lot of disappointment by many seems to be expectation that online "has to be" faster. No, it doesn't have to be - it potentially could be. For some - esp where document handling and sending is complicated and expensive - it does at least reduce the pain on the front end.

But it is a pilot programme* and having ANY expectation is at your own risk. It could very well be longer.

*I think it's still formally a pilot programme but I'm not certain and I'm too lazy to look it up.

freddieMercury

Star Member
Apr 25, 2022
Outland online takes way longer AOR almost 8 months.
Wrong!
Just check here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/192sbvjd4vJsEWY_B7w5DgFKBmIPNYo6TjlVWAk-xxxA/htmlview?usp=sharing&fbclid=IwAR0q7yqFBBIjTx1acnS3EK6XPTszEBFWs1OjmodQgn2Ru3lnt9ycrGCbk4M&pru=AAABfVJex6M*8OjPKUc0TeEuBhmsYQTTgQ#

also, I applied online on 15FEB2022 and got my AOR 27APRIL2022.

But I see your point, when it was launched, it was a little slow, but also, we had a lot of Covid restrictions happening...

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
Wrong!
Just check here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/192sbvjd4vJsEWY_B7w5DgFKBmIPNYo6TjlVWAk-xxxA/htmlview?usp=sharing&fbclid=IwAR0q7yqFBBIjTx1acnS3EK6XPTszEBFWs1OjmodQgn2Ru3lnt9ycrGCbk4M&pru=AAABfVJex6M*8OjPKUc0TeEuBhmsYQTTgQ#

also, I applied online on 15FEB2022 and got my AOR 27APRIL2022.

But I see your point, when it was launched, it was a little slow, but also, we had a lot of Covid restrictions happening...
wait until others who sent outland online reply

ana2704

May 24, 2022
Is applying online better for outland spouse sponsorship? Or the traditional courier/mail system is better?