Passport Req..
PPR 1 : 02-04-2014, PR2 29-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2014
LANDED..........
InshaAllah March 2015
Re: Renting Apartment vs a house/basement

MuhammadFahad said:
Good advice, I faced the same problems when rented rooms in London (UK) from desi landlords :mad:
1. What about short term lease ? can we do that online or do we need someone there to get it done for us ? Actually our lil one is few months old so Im very much concerned about the accomodation on landing.

2. What is required in PPR 2 ?

BR,
ZEEM & FAmily

MuhammadFahad

Star Member
Oct 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
21-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-01-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
22-02-2013
Med's Done....
18-03-2013. 2nd Med: 01-05-2014
Passport Req..
PPR-1: 30-05-2014. PPR-2: 27-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-07-2014
LANDED..........
Feb 2015 Alhamdolillah

zeem said:
1. What about short term lease ? can we do that online or do we need someone there to get it done for us ? Actually our lil one is few months old so Im very much concerned about the accomodation on landing.

2. What is required in PPR 2 ?

BR,
ZEEM & FAmily
1. Am not too sure as I've yet to land there. However, people recommend prebooking a place at one of these or similar short stay accomodations:
  • http://www.safehomestay.com/
  • http://www.staystudio6.com/

2. Once email is received from LVO about step 2, send original passports along with 2 photos for each family and a print out of the email to mentioned address of Islamabad VO.

Thanks,
Fahad

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012

canvis2006 said:
For the newcomers to Canada:

In the beginning you may have to face some issues in renting apartments (in apartment buildings). But these are better in long run, as the building has proper heating, and utilities are included. However, due to newcomers not having enough credit history, the management may require upfront payment of at least 6-month rent (you can negotiate how to pay), in many cases. Or even upto a year of rent, if they want that, you can then lease it for a year. Basement living is not doable in the long run anyways. If you have friends in the same city you can use them as a reference point. The minimum is the First+Last rent, and some security deposit, etc for keys, etc. Some buildings even have daycare on the spot, etc.

This is why having cash on hand, and depositing in account right away will be better, so u can pay the rent/lease and get your own place/address.
Once accomodation is sorted, get the internet service. And then apply for study/jobs/schooling, etc as necessary.

The trouble with renting a portion of the house, is that the landlord (who often lives on first floors,etc) can be very hard to deal with. They don't want high utility bills so they tend to monitor the utility/laundry usage, and often don't keep the house warm/cold enough, depending on the weather. This is very true specially in south-asian landlords......so be very careful. And they also frown/dislike if you have guests or don't do things certain way. They frown if you use washing machine frequently.

This is why if you must rent, try to rent in an apartment building. That way you can avoid these petty issues which can ruin the charm/experience.

Hopefully this will help inform those who will be arriving in Canada soon.
+1 for your great contribution.

Dilup

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
..-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-09-2011
IELTS Request
With the doc
Med's Request
16th June 2014
Med's Done....
17th June 2014/ medical received line appeared on 22nd June.
Interview........
CANCELED
Passport Req..
25/06/2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2014
LANDED..........
Most probably on November 2014

MuhammadFahad said:
1. Am not too sure as I've yet to land there. However, people recommend prebooking a place at one of these or similar short stay accomodations:
  • http://www.safehomestay.com/
  • http://www.staystudio6.com/

2. Once email is received from LVO about step 2, send original passports along with 2 photos for each family and a print out of the email to mentioned address of Islamabad VO.

Thanks,

Fahad
Hi!
Would you mind explaining what does PPR1 & PPR2 mean? Since they received my Medicals on 22 June 2014, and they received my PPRF on 18th June, when can I expect my PPR1 & PPR 2? What they send for that?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Toronto--Canada?ref=top-destinations
www.safehomestay.com
www.staystudio6.com
http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/contact.asp

Apartment Rental (long term):

viewit.ca
realstar.ca

ja77

Mar 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dear canvis2006, I appreciate your thoughts. In my opinion, there could be pros and cons with both. If renting a basement has problems, then renting the apartments is also not always problem free. Having a noisy next door neighbor playing loud music, having a big family renting the apartment above your apartment with kids always jumping and running, having to deal with a difficult and rude building management poorly responding to maintenance related issues, are some of the possible issues people may have to experience in apartment rentals as well. Not all the apartment rentals come with utilities included. Building managements also keep changing the heating based on the weather conditions. I remember renting in an apartment building where they even used to have frequent hot water cuts in the morning when the hot water consumption is at its peak. Similarly, the problems you mentioned about renting the basement also depend upon what kind of landlord you are going to deal with. So the best is to discuss with the landlord about all your concerns before you rent his basement. You can always come to common terms that suit you and the landlord both. And always walk-away where you think that things will not work out well between the two of you. So, I'm not saying what kind of rental is better. I'm just saying that everyone has different experiences with these things... and if you can get a difficult landlord, you can also get a difficult building management... and vice versa. Just a few thoughts that came into my mind and I thought of sharing.

To those planning to land, my suggestion would be to prioritize things properly. If you are a family, the foremost priorities to me should be a safe and quiet family oriented residential neighborhood, amenities in the neighborhood, walkability to neighborhood amenities, access to public transport, and schooling for children.

If someone is planning to land in the GTA and needs any kind of info, please feel free to get in touch and I'll be glad to assist wherever I can.

Sincerely.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
ja77 said:
Dear canvis2006, I appreciate your thoughts. In my opinion, there could be pros and cons with both. If renting a basement has problems, then renting the apartments is also not always problem free. Having a noisy next door neighbor playing loud music, having a big family renting the apartment above your apartment with kids always jumping and running, having to deal with a difficult and rude building management poorly responding to maintenance related issues, are some of the possible issues people may have to experience in apartment rentals as well. Not all the apartment rentals come with utilities included. Building managements also keep changing the heating based on the weather conditions. I remember renting in an apartment building where they even used to have frequent hot water cuts in the morning when the hot water consumption is at its peak. Similarly, the problems you mentioned about renting the basement also depend upon what kind of landlord you are going to deal with. So the best is to discuss with the landlord about all your concerns before you rent his basement. You can always come to common terms that suit you and the landlord both. And always walk-away where you think that things will not work out well between the two of you. So, I'm not saying what kind of rental is better. I'm just saying that everyone has different experiences with these things... and if you can get a difficult landlord, you can also get a difficult building management... and vice versa. Just a few thoughts that came into my mind and I thought of sharing.

To those planning to land, my suggestion would be to prioritize things properly. If you are a family, the foremost priorities to me should be a safe and quiet family oriented residential neighborhood, amenities in the neighborhood, walkability to neighborhood amenities, access to public transport, and schooling for children.

If someone is planning to land in the GTA and needs any kind of info, please feel free to get in touch and I'll be glad to assist wherever I can.

Sincerely.
Thanks for the post. Just saw your timeline, why do you have 2 NOCs mentioned?

Regards,

ja77

Mar 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
rizmayo said:
Thanks for the post. Just saw your timeline, why do you have 2 NOCs mentioned?

Regards,
It's because I was eligible under both these NOC's when I applied. NOC 4131 because I was into IT training and later on into IT management which falls under NOC 0213. Are you in GTA?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
ja77 said:
It's because I was eligible under both these NOC's when I applied. NOC 4131 because I was into IT training and later on into IT management which falls under NOC 0213. Are you in GTA?
Ok.. Yes I live in Brampton.

Regards,

amerian

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2011
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
14-04-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application 7.0 Bands
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Request
16-06-2014
Med's Done....
30-06-2014
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
PPR1 (17-07-2014) PPR2 (11-08-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014 (Recieved on 23-08-2014)
LANDED..........
Very soon
ja77 said:

Sincerely.
Hi dear

I am planning to settle in GTA but couple of families (friends) settled in Mississauga and they r pushing me for that area, whereas I prefer to stay in apartment kinda place preferable high rise, we r family of 4, both kids are under 5 years of age, (4 and 1 years old), what will be cost of 2 beds according to my preference and also what do u recommend about this plus comparison b/w 2 locations as mentioned above.
An early reply will b Highly appreciated.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
amerian said:
Hi dear

I am planning to settle in GTA but couple of families (friends) settled in Mississauga and they r pushing me for that area, whereas I prefer to stay in apartment kinda place preferable high rise, we r family of 4, both kids are under 5 years of age, (4 and 1 years old), what will be cost of 2 beds according to my preference and also what do u recommend about this plus comparison b/w 2 locations as mentioned above.
GTA is huge, which particular part were you thinking of?

Mississauga has some high rise apartments as well.

Regards,

amerian

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2011
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
14-04-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application 7.0 Bands
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Request
16-06-2014
Med's Done....
30-06-2014
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
PPR1 (17-07-2014) PPR2 (11-08-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014 (Recieved on 23-08-2014)
LANDED..........
Very soon
rizmayo said:
GTA is huge, which particular part were you thinking of?

Mississauga has some high rise apartments as well.

Regards,
City of Toronto

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
amerian said:
City of Toronto
Ok downtown Toronto is not GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

Pros of living in main Totonto city:
1. Close to downtown so shorter commute to work
2. Night life (though malls close at 9)
3. Availability of public transport

Cons of living in Toronto city:
1. Very expensive (though Scarbrough is considered Toronto and is cheaper)
2. The units are generally smaller then what you would get in the suburbs like Missassagua.
3. Can be very poluted depending on where you live.

Regards,

ja77

Mar 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
amerian said:
Hi dear

GTA is huge and comprises of many towns and cities. You should be able to find high rises in Mississauga as well... especially around square one in Mississauga. Price for a 2 bedroom apartment could be around $1500. It could be more or less depending upon the location, facilities, and whether or not the utilities are included in the rent. You can search on websites like kijiji to get a better idea about the rentals.

Hope this helps.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.