Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 22-Oct-12, PPR2 16-Nov-12
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
In Sha Allah on 21-03-2013
They may ask and may verify the POE to be equal to minimum desired level. You can carry US Dollars as well. If you have 10,000 or more CAD (or Equivalent other currency) you have to disclose to the immigration officer ar the airport. It is your decision to go with all cash, or partially in cash and partially in DD. 20% Cash 80% DD or 50% cash 50% DD it is your call. However, if you buy CAD currency from Exchange Companies(money changers) they will charge you lesser(favourable) conversion rate as compared to the conversion rate they will charge you for making DD. Further they will also charge you will DD making charges. and when you deposit the CAD DD in Canada in your newly opened account, you may be charged for clearing charges (not 100% sure though, seniors please correct me if I am wrong). Thats is why in my opinion, we should take Cash as much as we can.

Regards

Azhar

KHALIQUE said:
H'ABLE SENIORS

Please advise here as At Toronto Airport Immigration Officer will ask about the Proof of Funds which we will carry with us from Pakistan.

can these funds may be carried out in Canadian or us dollar form?

Please specify from where we should prepare B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs as well as against whom it will be issued and also advise whether we carry 50% of the amount in cash and remaining in above form.

KIND REGARDS.

azhermahmoodg

Star Member
Oct 10, 2009
Karachi Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111 & 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2009
Doc's Request.
21-12-2009
Nomination.....
16-04-2010
AOR Received.
21-12-2009
File Transfer...
21-12-2009
Med's Request
04-07-2012
Med's Done....
23-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
Dil torne walay dekh k chal....
Hum bhi to pare hain rahoon main..

Sir, humko bhi yad rakhiye ga..

Azhar

carefore said:
hanx dear.Next week will be ours inshAllah

azhermahmoodg

Star Member
Oct 10, 2009
Karachi Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111 & 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2009
Doc's Request.
21-12-2009
Nomination.....
16-04-2010
AOR Received.
21-12-2009
File Transfer...
21-12-2009
Med's Request
04-07-2012
Med's Done....
23-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
Brother send then Case specific inquiry you will immediately get PPR2 inshaAllah.

Azhar

Rehan2010 said:
DEAR FORM MEMBERS

I GOT PPR1 ON 24 SEP 2012. STILL WAITING FOR PPR2. MY E STATUS SHOWS DECISSION MADE .ANY OTHER MEMBER HAS THE SAME TIME LINE .PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

BEST WISHES TO ALL

REHAN

qshahzad

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Feb 2010
AOR Received.
Feb 2010
IELTS Request
Already submitted with Doc request
File Transfer...
July 2010
Med's Request
25-April-2012
Med's Done....
06-May-2012 (delivered on May 17, 12)
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
03-October-2012 (Dec made on Nov 7, 12)
VISA ISSUED...
November 21, 2012
LANDED..........
March 05, 2013
carefore said:
have you got your ppr-2? when
Yesi received my PPR 2 yesterday and passports sent to CHC ISB today

khalidcivil

Jul 28, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed with azhar. One should try to have most of the POF in cash.

azhermahmoodg said:
They may ask and may verify the POE to be equal to minimum desired level. You can carry US Dollars as well. If you have 10,000 or more CAD (or Equivalent other currency) you have to disclose to the immigration officer ar the airport. It is your decision to go with all cash, or partially in cash and partially in DD. 20% Cash 80% DD or 50% cash 50% DD it is your call. However, if you buy CAD currency from Exchange Companies(money changers) they will charge you lesser(favourable) conversion rate as compared to the conversion rate they will charge you for making DD. Further they will also charge you will DD making charges. and when you deposit the CAD DD in Canada in your newly opened account, you may be charged for clearing charges (not 100% sure though, seniors please correct me if I am wrong). Thats is why in my opinion, we should take Cash as much as we can.

Regards

Azhar

azhermahmoodg

Star Member
Oct 10, 2009
Karachi Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111 & 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2009
Doc's Request.
21-12-2009
Nomination.....
16-04-2010
AOR Received.
21-12-2009
File Transfer...
21-12-2009
Med's Request
04-07-2012
Med's Done....
23-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
Dear I have already started networking and trying to find out as much contact as I have in Canada. Also as I m a member of the ICMAP, I am contacting to my fellow members in Canada and will speed up my actions once I receive the Visa. futher after visa I am planning to start applying for job from here also and I am open to accept any entry level or odd job immediately after 1 week of landing. I am also thinking of getting admission in CMA Alberta or CGA. Now a days searching for procedure of credential assessment.

I know we have a lot of members of the forum related to Accounts/Finance field but unfortunately, most of us dont like to share their knowledge, plans, even dont want to share contact numbers due to some personal reasons.

Regards
Azhar

Bravo2000 said:
Dear Azhar,

What plan/stratagies you set for obtaining the accounts/finance related jobs. May i know in which town you r going to be landed and finds the accounts/finance related jobs

waqar333

Jun 25, 2012
Lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Oct-2011
Doc's Request.
9-July-12
AOR Received.
6-Jan-12
IELTS Request
Already Submitted
Med's Request
9-Oct-12
Med's Done....
22-Oct-12
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
PPR-1:21-Nov-2012. PPR-2:6-Mar-13
VISA ISSUED...
12-March-2013
LANDED..........
23 April 2013
Mightyechoes said:
Dear waqar,
My take for this matter is as follows.....

how much time it may takes for PPR 1 stage after receiving of my medical by CIC ?3-5 months
what is the requirements of CIC/LVO for PPR 1 stage ?pps, photos, and updated information shart
what is the requirements of CIC/LVO for PPR 2 stage ?6 weeks after ppr1 and original passports only.

best regards and May Allah bless ya a speedy process.Insha Allah.

Mightyechoes.
thanx dear

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
khalidcivil said:
1. No need to send print of the email. Just send the passports and return address label.
2. You can write the address by hand.

Thats how proceeded with out facing any trouble.
Got it Sir.

libraleopk

Aug 23, 2010
Alhamdulillah, ive received ppr2 this weekend. Thanks to all forum members and best wishes for early completion of processing. I have few childish questions at this stage , pls help me im really confused
1. Can i just make an entry and come back within a week after issuance of visa. If yes how to re enter again in canada without pr.
2. We are expecting addition in the family and expected date is mid of next month what will be the case of newborn? If visas are issued before birth can we land there at this stage? Im really confused.
3. What if wife and children couldnt land within validity of visa can it be extended due to this genuine reason
4. Is it compulsory for children under 7 to make an entry
5. Can i land anywhere or at declared p.o.e.
6. Can i take euros and usd as proof of funds instead of cad and are these currencies are accepted in markets airport etc.

Please do answer as i dont know what to do when it seem to be so near

qshahzad

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Feb 2010
AOR Received.
Feb 2010
IELTS Request
Already submitted with Doc request
File Transfer...
July 2010
Med's Request
25-April-2012
Med's Done....
06-May-2012 (delivered on May 17, 12)
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
03-October-2012 (Dec made on Nov 7, 12)
VISA ISSUED...
November 21, 2012
LANDED..........
March 05, 2013
An architect said:
Hi qshahzad ....

Did you recieve ppr2 at the first stage , cuz this is what I could tell from your time line ?!!

Is it possible that some Pakistani applicants are getting ppr2 ( original passports ) instead of

Ppr1 and pp2 ????????
I got PPR1 on Oct 03 and PPR 2 on Nov 9. This is the normal timeline for Pakistan these days. For all Pakistani applicants PPR in 2 stages is reqd though i dont understand why?

agshaheryar

May 24, 2012
Faisalabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2009
Doc's Request.
03-09-2009
AOR Received.
24-12-2009
IELTS Request
Sent with Full Docs
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
16-03-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 01-11-2012 & PPR2 16-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2012
LANDED..........
April 02, 2013
Bravo2000 said:
thanks azhar for your response. As i am planing to get admission in CFA/CPA. I heared that these qualification may more helpfull in getting job in canada's market.

You mention CMA Alberta/CGA, do you know how many stages/paper needs to apper for obtaining CGA/CMA-Canada/alberta, if you hold ICMAP complete qualification or partly?

I think the door is also open for finance/accountant to start their own practice, would appreciate comments on it..........

My personal opinion on confidentility issue is that canada is the place where immigrant are coming all around the world, therfore, I would appreciate to discuss to explore more and more in respect of accounts / finance profession

Some rsearch
Writing a Résumé

Your résumé is one of the most important tools you have when looking for a job. This page will help you choose the right type of résumé for your situation. It will also provide you with tips to help you tailor your résumé to the job you're applying for, and to make sure it stands out in a crowd for all the right reasons.

What is a résumé?
Types of résumés
Important information to include in your résumé
Top-10 résumé tips
Other helpful resources

What is a résumé?

A résumé is a short, point-form document that you give to employers to tell them about your work experience, education, and skills. Before you write your résumé, you may want to complete a skills inventory to know what skills you have to offer an employer.

Types of résumés

Depending on your work experience, the job you're applying for, or your personal preference, you may want to use a particular type of résumé. Here are three types of résumés to choose from:

A functional résumé focuses on your skills

If you haven't had a lot of work experience, a functional résumé that focuses on your skills is a good way to market yourself to potential employers.

Instead of focusing on your previous work experience, a skills-focused résumé highlights the transferable skills you gained from previous jobs, activities, experiences, or volunteer work.

It's most commonly used when you've had a large gap in your employment history, or if you have never worked before.

Example of a functional résumé
Template of a functional résumé

A chronological résumé focuses on your experience

Focusing on your work history is one of the more popular ways to structure a résumé. It shows employers all your work experience, focusing on positions you've held and your past responsibilities and accomplishments.

The chronological résumé is organized with your most recent information first. The goal is to give a comprehensive work history, organized by each job you've held. You give your position title, place of employment, how long you worked there, and a breakdown of your responsibilities or accomplishments.

This is a great multi-purpose résumé that works for most job applications, including retail.

Example of a chronological résumé
Template of a chronological résumé

A hybrid résumé is a combination of the two

A hybrid résumé is also known as a combination résumé. It combines the elements of a functional and chronological résumé to create a résumé that focuses heavily on skills, but also includes dates, titles of previous jobs, along with essential information about the position.

This is a good résumé to use when you want to prioritize your skills but also demonstrate how your career has evolved.

Example of a hybrid résumé
Template of a hybrid résumé

Important information to include in your résumé

There are a variety of different headings you can use in your résumé, depending on what type of résumé you choose to write.

However, regardless of the type of résumé you choose, here are three of the most important things it should include:

Your personal information

The first thing your employer should see when looking at your résumé is your name. Make sure it is clear, stands out, and is easy to read.

Your résumé should include your full address, contact phone numbers, and an e-mail address that incorporates your first and last name.

Things you should not include on your résumé:
•your height, age, weight
•a photo of yourself
•your Social Insurance Number

Education

List your education, starting with the most recent, and work backwards from there. Include the name of the school, the city or town where each school you attended is located (secondary and beyond), and the years you completed.

Be sure to list any certificates or diplomas you received, including those for mini-courses like computer or software courses, first aid, or any other training that might be useful in the job you are applying for.

Skills and experience

Use your résumé to show where you worked, what you learned, and how your skills and experience apply to the job you're applying for. Highlight abilities, skills, and experience that relate to the job you're applying for. These can come from paid or unpaid work, volunteer experience, and even hobbies.

If all of your experience is in an unrelated field to the job you're applying for, focus on the transferable skills you learned that can be applied to the new job you're applying for.

When listing your work experience, include the location (city, province) and the dates you worked (month, year) for each job or volunteer position. Use action words to describe what you did in the positions you held. Focus on the top-five duties for each job.

Other relevant information

You may also want to include your job goals, the languages you speak, or any relevant achievements or awards. You can also include interests or activities that say something positive about you. Don't forget, however, that the point of your résumé is to show why you are the right person for the job.

There are no official rules for what headings you should include on your résumé. Just remember to keep it concise, with the most important information at the top.

For example:
•Let's say you are applying for a job in software development and, although you have never worked in that field, you have a diploma in software engineering. In this case, be sure to put your education section at the top.
•If you are applying to work in the food services industry and you have a lot of experience working in restaurants, be sure to list that information before your education details.

Top-10 résumé tips
1.Think ahead. If you wait until the last minute to hand in your résumé, you could miss the deadline and risk not being considered for the job.
2.Tailor your résumé. Include information on your résumé associated with the job you are applying for.
3.Chunk it out. If there is a lot of information, break it into separate sections with specific headings.
4.Use action words. Focus on things you have accomplished, and avoid starting every sentence with “I”.
5.Proofread. Never rely on spell check.
6.Repeat Tip 5. Seriously, even one misspelled word could put you in the “do not consider” pile.
7.Make it presentable. Make sure your résumé looks clean and organized. Use white, letter-sized paper (8.5 x 11-inch) and a font that's easy to read, like Times New Roman or Arial.
8.Keep it concise. Try to keep your résumé as short as possible—ideally one page, two pages maximum.
9.Be honest. Lying on your résumé is never a good idea. Many people who lie on their applications end up losing their jobs when their employers find out the truth.
10.Be professional. Remember, this is a business document, so don't include unnecessary embellishments like flashy paper or a picture of yourself.

Other helpful resources
•Writing a cover letter
•Choosing references
•Preparing for a job interview
•Create a Job Bank account and use Service Canada's Résumé Builder
Very good effort. I am also an ACMA. I recently got membership from Chartered Bank, UK. I also intend to study CFA program in Canada.

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Informative Post regarding Jobs in Canada.

After 11 months of relentless pursuit and struggles, I have managed to land in my first full-time job last week. Yes its a good news, notwithstanding the enormous pressure me and my wife had to go through after landing. In fact, by Oct end we had just 500 dollars as balance in our account, and was almost on the verge of returning back to Dubai. Despite my mid to senior management experience, spanning over 9 years in Strategic HR Operations, combined with working at top Dubai based multinationals, I had to volunteer for 6 full months in Toronto before getting into my first full-time job. It was very difficult for me to digest such a thing as volunteering when I first landed. But that's how the system works here. 90% of the Canadian employers look for candidates who can be culturally fit for their organization. And its very important how you convince them on that!!! Hence I decided to share a few words of advice for all those excited people out there, who are planning their landing soon!!

Relocating and settling in Canada works in a totally different way. Every case is different and it all depends on your Present Situation and Your needs. Please do remember "You are migrating to a new place - On the hopes of Better Life, not for a adjusting or compromising life". It is not related to your qualifications, or experience - the system is Different NOT Difficult, which cannot be explained by writing. Everyone has to come to Canadian Loop to understand and enjoy this.

Because immigrants are welcomed, Canada has so many immigrants, ironically, you may actually find you are competing with many of your country men/women even when you get here. In kind of a twisted way: you are not really a "minority" and will find it just as difficult, if not more difficult. Canadian employers will not be jumping up and down because you have had overseas experience - so many people here have that. So, in and of itself, your experience just being overseas will not necessarily "seal the deal".

Also, when one examines everything you have to wonder why people want to focus mostly on Toronto. Alberta has the lowest unemployment rate in the world (4.3%) right now and trying to find a job is very easy. While there are 100,000 jobs in Alberta that are seeking workers, there is still a labor shortage mainly because of the baby boomer's who have retired creating this drain on the labour market.

I would encourage anyone who wants to come to Canada to first get trained in a vocation that is in demand (become a welder, a pipe fitter, a mechanic) anything with a trade. A Journeyman Welder can earn $46.00 per hour anywhere in Alberta but a dentist can't find employment. Drivers of heavy equipment earn $150,000 a year working in the oil industry. So find out which jobs are most in demand and get trained in one of those fields and don't stay stuck on finding employment in your field of certification. LEARN A NEW SKILL.............reinvent yourself first.

So do your research, before choosing Toronto, and my suggestion - make a full research till you get tired, identify needs, try to get a proper Job / Specified income which you are ready to accept - then you can enjoy your stay in Canada.

Careful with your qualifications and/or experience - depending - may nor be transferable to Canada. .Many certificates and/or uni degrees are not recognized here. Your expertise may enable you to move here - but your "paper" or "transcript" etc may not be transferable here.....

Having priorities set with no high hopes is the rational way of making a move if you want it reflecting positively on your, and your next generation's, future - especially when it comes to migrating. Disappointment and desperation are the only things you'd get if you've set your expectations too high, and this is commonly happening to those who end up moving without prior research.

While awaiting for your visa visa, its very important you research a lot, what's in demand, market dynamics in your field, alternates and local skills that you need to acquire there. This is something everyone of us should be aware of before the much awaited 'LANDING'.

Take as much funds with you as possible, not just the minimum suggested by CIC. I would suggest that you take at least savings for the first one year. Be prepared for a change in lifestyle. Try adapting to the Canadian lifestyle. Start building professional network even before the time you land. Times have changed and social media has evolved rapidly.world has shrunk - try LinkedIn(don't ask for jobs directly, they'll throw you out of their network, rather your profile should be strong enough to impress).

Ensure English (or French) and other skill sets are up to snuff. In many areas of the country (particularly urban), you would be speaking with others all speaking English or French with their own accents (not necessarily Canadian origin). And so proficiency is almost more important than ever since you will be hearing the languages spoken so differently by so many different people with so many different backgrounds... the plus side is most people here will have heard English (and French) spoken with your accent - but not necessarily the other way around?

Re purpose your application and resume for each job you apply for rather than a broad brush stroke. Start reading job boards, job descriptions and essential requirements, this should give you an idea of what background a Canadian employer seeks from candidates.

The list can go on, and on, so prepare yourself mentally to face these challenges.

That being said, I feel privileged to live here so far..and I love Canada Smiley.

Source:-http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/1-year-after-landing-in-toronto-t96300.0.html

kontara

Star Member
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
april 28 2016
AOR Received.
23-6-2016
File Transfer...
01-07-2016
Dear Friends,
i need your advice on this matter.

1 i want to take some kitchen utensils for my use.will i pay duty on it or is it free to move.

2 i want to take some some big packets of cigarettes can i take it?

3 and i will be having my own cloths.i will adjust all these things in ticket allowed luggage and will not book it in a cargo.shall i will make list for all that

thanks

Thanks

kontara

Star Member
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
april 28 2016
AOR Received.
23-6-2016
File Transfer...
01-07-2016
somi 252 said:
All You Need to Know About Landing...

Hi friends,

As these queries keep coming repeatedly in this forum (& I get many PMs as well), I thought to summarize all into one thread. This post shall quench most of our doubts. I hope it helps...

REFERENCE THREADS:
Can we Land in Any City:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t35499.0.html
Which City to Land for Jobs:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t31291.0.html
Landing Forms:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t30178.0.html
Job's In Perspective:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t31106.0.html

WHEN SHOULD WE 'LAND':
After getting the PR visa, we are supposed to complete our 'record of landing', on or before the Visa Expiry Date [mentioned on the visa]. The visa Expiry Date is related to EITHER*:
a) 1yr. from the meds, or
b) Passport expiry date of the PA or anyone of his/her accompanying Dependents
*Whichever of the above 2 is earlier.

WHO SHOULD LAND FIRST:
It is the obligation of the PA to 'land' first. Which can be 'alongwith' one or more or all the accompanying family members. Let it be clear that the PA's dependents CANNOT land first.

PROCEDURE AT THE POE:
Irrespective of which city we chose to land, the 'landing' per se, is a simple process. Before debarking the a/craft we'll be provided with a 'Disembarkation Card/Form'. We take that form & first go to the 'Passport Control'.

At the Passport Control:
Here we need to inform the IO that we have come to do our 'landing'. The IO will check our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa. S/he will then direct us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter".

At the Immigration Counter:
The IO here will scrutinize our Passport/s & COPRs. He would [sometimes may not] ask to see our POF. Most of the times the officer will not count the 'actual' money & accept what we say. But, no false pretensions there. S/he will then fill some portions of the COPR & ask us to sign it, wherein it'll be attached on our passport. We'll be asked to fill-in the 'PR Card Application Form' & give an address where our PR cards will be forwarded within 3-6 weeks. Thereby, s/he would 'Welcome us to Canada' and direct us to another office.

At the Services Canada Office:
The Services Canada section is for assisting the Newcomers' settlement moves. Here we'll get lots of books/pamphlets, that'll provide all the crucial info on Canada and our Settlement plan here. From here will be directed to the CBSA counter.

At the CBSA [Customs] Office:
This is an important location. We are required to present (1) List of Items Accompanying; (2) List of Goods to Follow; (3) Currency Declaration [We'd have to 'declare' any amount of $10K or more]. Lists-1 & 2 must be brought in 2 copies, one would be retained by CBSA and the 2nd copy will be returned back to us. We'll need the 2nd copy when our shipments come-in.

Note: [1] If we are not bringing-in any goods later, we don't need the 'goods to follow list'. [2] At a random the CBSA might 'actually' check the POF here. Thus, no complacency is acceptable. [3] If there are 'jewelry' involved, do not forget to bring 'Printed Photographs' of the same (details later).

BTW: All the officers are extremely friendly, very understanding, cheerful and helpful. We'll encounter 'Welcome to Canada' many a times. If all the docs are pre-printed & available with us; and there is not much of a queue, we will be out of the a/port in 40mins-1hr. flat. Which includes the walk-distance, baggage collection etc.

FORMS REQUIRED FOR THE 'LANDING':
Even if you stay ONLY for a day at Canada, you will need the following:

1. Passport with stamped Visa. -off course
2. COPR (IMM 5292B)
3. POF. [for cases "without" AEO & family class] (details below)
4. Passport size photos. -2 or 3 for PRC (may not be needed, but good to have)
5. PR Card Application (IMM 5444E). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
6. Goods to Follow List (Form B4 / B4A). -carry it filled pre-printed, for ease
7. Goods Accompanying List. -as above, a table of things u r carrying on person (value & Totaled)
Forms required later
8. SIN Card Apps Form (NAS 2120). -Not Needed at the A/port [later at Services Canada]
9. Kids Immunization Record. -Not Needed at the A/port [later for School Admission]
10. If you are Driving your Car. -read below

NOTE: The more you are organized before hand, the better 1st impression you deliver and the IO/CBSA officer shall be happier. (BTW: smooth & fast processing). U'll be out faster. Go to your accom & relax for the day, you had a long journey, haven't you?

SHORT STAY ACCOMMODATION:
For sure you must arrange a 'short-stay' accommodation prior to your landing. The necessity of which cannot be overemphasized more. If you have friends/relatives, they can be approached for the same, if you do not have anyone, the following is recommended:

Toronto:
1) http://www.safehomestay.com/
2) http://www.staystudio6.com/
*Both provide a/port pick-up services. The places are used by many satisfactorily.

Calgary:
Not much such places are available. However, this ad by a service-provider caught my eye...
"Furnished rooms with high speed internet are available for newcomers & immigrants. Close to all aminities. Pick up & drop off services also available. Call Girish # 403-255-8582 [or email: taradale @ live.ca] for more info".
Source: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/shared-accomodation-in-calgary-ne-t31430.0.html

Vancouver:
a) http://www.budgetpathotel.bc.ca/
b) http://www.ywcahotel.com/

Some other important sites on Vancouver are:
1) http://www.welcomebc.ca
2) http://www.rentbc.com

NOTE: Except for ppl with enough $$$ to spend, avoid Hotels & Motels. They are far costlier. Also, if you must take a hotel, avoid the ones close to the A/port -for obvious reasons.

HOUSE RENTAL:
The best way to do house hunting [long-term accom.] is to land at Canada & then start searching. Word of mouth & Bulletin Boards are a great ‘real-time' source. However, we cannot condone the importance of the web. Some of the good sites [there are many] could be:
a) http://www.hometrader.ca (Good site)
b) http://www.capreit.com (Property Management Services)
c) http://www.kjiji.ca/ (Good Classifieds site)
d) http://www.mls.ca (Mother of all)

MONEY: PROOF OF LANDING FUNDS:
What Proofs Are Acceptable?
If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
• Cash
• Securities in bearer form (for eg, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
• Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for eg, B/drafts, Cheques, TCs or MOs).
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

How Much Funds Can I Carry?
There is no Max limit... we can take Millions, if we can prove its legitimate source & declare anything at/or more than $10,000 [that's the CBSA regulation]. There is a Minimum limit though... we must carry at least or more than what CIC requirement states, vis-a-vis for the no. of pax in the family [accompanying].

Tax & Duties Component:
The funds we bring inside Canada are Non-Taxable. It is only the 'interest' earned on that which is taxed. The moment our funds start accruing interest [while lying in a Canadian Bank a/c] the bank will start deducting tax 'on source'. The same applies for any 'investment' in Canada that we make with these funds.

BANKING:
Though most international banks operate in Canada, the 3 main Canadian Banks are presumably the best, in terms of their presence, availability & location of ATM machines, branches etc.:
1) Scotiabank,
2) TD Bank, &
3) CIBC

Besides, you can also pre-open a Canadian Bank a/c from your home country [not all, Dubai, India etc.] thru Scotiabank, SBI & *ICICI Bank. I have posted details about it earlier here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t34013.0.html

*ICICI Bank offers one of the cheapest a/c charges. But unfortunately, both ICICI & SBI have very limited presence in Canada.

AIRLINE RECOMMENDATIONS:
Usually BA & KLM change places frequently for their "lowest fares" to Canada. More often it'd be BA [especially from the UK, Dubai, Europe & the Gulf sector]. U can also ask your travel agent to select between multiple carriers to provide multiple-halt choices. But, from the UK actually that might not be required. Check BA today, it'll do the trick... Dubai-Heathrow-Toronto : AED 3,860/pp return.

However, personal choise prevails. Sometimes other carriers place envious promotions too. Emirates has recently commenced the A380 [Dreamliner] service. And all their flights are 'long-haul' -Non Stop.

NOTE: If our $$$ are a consideration, avoid 'non-stop' flights. They obviously are costlier. A single-stop flight is highly recommended. Also, we might avoid travel agents as well, the 'online' reservation of all the prominent carriers are absolutely good. I did mine thru BA & it was fantastic. Paid, printed and became an 'Executive Club' member -all thru the net. The e-ticket shall be delivered, on-the-spot, in your email in-box.

PR CARDS (PRC):
Your PR Card application (IMM 5444E) shall be done at the POE itself. It is part of the PR package [free] and the photos & details will be the same as you supplied for the PPR. Our PR Card/s come back to us via regular post mail, in 3-6 weeks, avg. 4 weeks. It is 'advisable' to stay in Canada for at least 45 days, collect our PRC and then return back [if you must].

If you leave the country before it arrives, u'll have to make arrangements for its collection & forward delivery to you, overseas, thru a friend/relative [Not a Recommended Action], however, done all the time by ppl. But there is a danger of losing it in transit. And if that happens, we'll have a tedious process to get new ones made.

How To Enter Canada W/Out A PR Card:
As per IATA & CBSA regulations, we cannot enter Canada w/out a PRC. However, if we are entering thru a Border Post by road, it doesn't matter -our COPR is enough for entry/exit. But, if we are travelling by an airline & boarding/entering thru an a/port we will Not be Permitted. At the embarkation port itself we will be Stopped by the airline staff.

The process in such cases is to apply for a 'PRTD-A31 (3)' [Temporary 'PR Travel Document'] at the local CHC [abroad]. It costs Ca$50. Details of it is provided at the 'Manual for Permanent Resident Card' (ENF 27).

Procedure Of PR Card Application:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF

NOTE: The PRC is probably the 'most important' document after we are thru with our PR application process. This is valid for 5 yrs. First time: Free; Renewals cost $50/card.

SIN CARDS:
After 'landing' we'll have to visit the nearest Services Canada Office for the SIN Card. We get the SIN No. immediately as a 'print-out' -signed & stamped upon applying, the same day, the same time. That'd suffice for all our further actions in Canada, viz Job Search, Bank a/c, House Hunting etc. The card shall come to us in approx 3 weeks. For its collection -ditto applies as above, for the PR Cards.

NOTE: Remember, we don't need the SIN Card for anything. Only the SIN No. Which we'll get the same time as we apply for it. It'd be wise to visit Services Canada Office the very next day upon arrival.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Both PR Card & SIN Cards are Federal documents. Meaning? One card for the entire nation -Canada.

HEALTH CARDS:
Health is a provincial matter. It is NOT FEDERAL. Thus, if you change provinces, u'll have to AGAIN get that province's Health Card. And again the waiting period* shall apply. Off course, a previous province's health card remains valid for few days/months in another province, but not all benefits could be availed.

*The Waiting Period:
As I know, Alberta [eg. Calgary, Edmonton etc] & Manitoba [eg. Winnipeg] are the Only provinces where there is NO WAITING period for the Health Insurance. Rest in all provinces there is some waiting time to get the Health Benifits. In Ontario [eg. Toronto, Ottawa etc.] it is 3 months.

Eg.: If Calgary Is My Destination Should I Get The H/Card In Toronto?
If Calgary is your Final Destination, but you are 'initially' landing in Toronto for a few days stay [Permitted action], I suggest you should first land in Calgary [get the health card] and then visit Toronto. Why? Mainly 'coz, you can get the Calgary health card immediately, but in Toronto you'll not. That Calgary health card will be valid in Toronto for a few days. Not the vice-versa. Secondly, if you land first in Toronto, you'll be staying w/out any health coverage.

Temp. Health Coverage:
It's wise to obtain a 'temporary' health coverage before you fly. Off course not required if you are going to Alberta or Manitoba. That temp. coverage shall come in the way of "Travel Insurance", which you can obtain from ANY insurance company in your homeland. The costs depands on the length of coverage. Usually we should take it for 3-4 months, as that is the waiting time in all provinces.

NOTE: It'll be a good idea to obtain the Travel Insurance from home country. For 2 reasons: [1] You are covered from day-1 even before landing. [2] In Canada it will be costlier & you'll be covered only from the day you apply. What if you get to do it later, as you'll be busy in the initial days? What if something goes wrong in between?

DRIVING LICENSE:
There is a way to obtain at least the Ontario G2 Driving Lincense immediately, if not the G1. For that some pre-arranged actions are needed, before you fly. I've written in detail on it. Check out this link:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/issue-with-ontario-drivers-licence-strike-t30236.0.html

HOW TO BRING CARS INTO CANADA:
Firstly, it is Not wise to bring-in Cars from any other country into Canada. Why? Cars are quite compititively priced in Canada. It's only its maintenance & the cost of Gas that'll kill you. Secondly, Canadian models are made specifically to withstand the 'extreme' cold conditions there. Our imported cars might not [less the ones from Europian or similar countries].

Thirdly, there are laws for Tire, Radiator etc. modifications, before we can register it in Canada. Why would we like to take that trouble? Fourthly, the transportation costs? It might just not be worth to bring-in cars from far-flung countries.

Import Cars From The Us:
Yes, be free to bring your car/s from the US by all means. But 'remember', we need to first 'export' the car from the US and again 'import' it into Canada, after we get-in. Documentations... documentations... However, quite a good detail about it is provided in this website:
http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/Canada_Import.html

ITEMS TO CARRY FROM HOMELAND:
Very debatable... I would say, do your maths first. Is the extra baggage costs worth the effort? Most items are readily available in Canada, also at very reasonable price.

Ditto for Indian Food & Spices [Rice, Dal, Pickles, Papad (?) etc.] And ditto for Italian [Pasta, Lasagna etc.], Japanese [Sushi, Tapanyaki, Teriyaki etc.], Tex-Mex, you name it.

Besides, many items are also not permitted entry. And there is otherwise a quality/quantity restriction as well. Check the CBSA website for those. Moreover, hiring a container full of goods? I'd say No... No. It may not be worthwhile at all.

What To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Personal effects [for imdt use, large quantities... No]
2. General clothing [some warm ones also]
3. Laptop [no desk top, printer etc.]
4. Digicam / Camcorder
5. Heirlooms [heritage collections, murals, artifacts etc.] -Check CBSA rules.
6. Original Certificates / Documents
7. Prescription Medicines
8. Books & DVDs
9. Mobile Phone* [non CDMA] -a NA charger will be needed
*Only GSM850-1900MHz models [that's the Canadian frequency -not all countries have that]

What "Not" To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Furniture [whatever, small or big]
2. TV [even if it's an LCD], Fridge, Washing machine etc.
3. Curtains, Bedspreads, Pillows & linens
4. Cars, Bikes etc.
5. Large-sized Toys of kids
6. Food [Perishable or Non-perishable] items
7. Over-the-Counter Medicines
8. Meat or Meat products [including Fowl, Fish etc.]

NOTE: Asian make electronic/electrical items won't work in Canada. [read 230 vs 110 Volts]

GOODS LISTS [FORM B4 / B4A]:
All goods that we carry, either 'on person' or 'following' needs to be 'listed' in form B4 / B4A, separately. These forms are available in the CBSA website, link given below:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

It is the same form for 'Goods Accompanying' & 'Goods to follow'. We should club similar items in groups [eg. DVDs: Qty-98, Books: Qty-42 etc.].

The entire list should be priced against each group & totalled in the end. We should carry 'original' invoices for high-end items [Diamonds -MUST]. Others can be broadly/generally priced, but appropriate.

Jewelry items MUST be listed [each item wise]; and should carry their "photographs". We should print-out the pics under similar groups [eg. Rings -all in one or more pages, Necklaces -in another page etc.]

We'll need 2 copies of each form, as one would be kept by the CBSA & one would be returned to us, for 'customs' clearance. This 2nd copy will be signed & stamped by the CBSA at the POE.

NOTE: All goods brought for 'landing' are non-taxed. If we were to bring-in goods 'later', either by personal carriage or thru a transporter, this list MUST be stamped on the 1st Landing. Else, they will be 'dutiable'. No compromise on that is possible. That's the law.

ABOUT KID's SCHOOLING:
Canada has 2 types of schools -the 'Public Schools' & the 'Catholic Schools'. There are some 'ethnic' schools as well, but not for regular education. Most of our kids [say 70%] go to the Public Schools -this education is FREE. The Catholic Schools are Fee-Paid [payable by us].

Usually, our kids will be accepted imdtly into the *neighborhood school, whether we arrive mid-term or during a new session. There can be an 'entry test', but that's not for rejection -but for assessment of the extra care that the school need to provide to a kid.

Even if our kids are not very good in either of the 2 Canadian official languages -English &/or French, by law a school is required to provide admission to our kids.

*Each neighborhood will have their own Public School/s; and our kids are required to ONLY be admitted there. We have no choice on that. The only way out [if we think that a particular school is better] is to move our residence to that area [neighborhood]. We have to provide our 'residency contract' for this purpose.

School Websites:
Each province [& some cities] has its own 'school District Board'. All information can be viewed in those websites.
1) An example is the 'Toronto Dist. School Board', check this link:
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/
2) For a 'ranking' overview of Canadian schools, you may like to check the following link:
http://www.fraserinstitute.org/reportcards/schoolperformance/

NOTE: Do not be hooked by the thought that the Catholic Schools are better than the Public Schools. Both are equally compititive in Edu-care. In fact some of the Public Schools are 'excellent' & remember, 70% Canadian kids study in them.

I hope I've addressed most issues, if not all... to ease the process of our landing. If I missed out anything or if something is wrongly put, plz notify. Also other members who have more info to add may kindly post theirs under this thread, for the benefit of everyone.

All the best, buddies !