+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pakistani applicants applying study permit for Jan intake gather here.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I wrote this for someone else. Hopefully it'll help you and others here:

What makes a visa application weak?

In this post, I want to summarize what I’ve learned about the visa process since January of this year. I have not yet received a visa but I wanted to write this now as the process is still fresh. So take everything with a grain of salt. Basically, everything below is my opinion and there will be cases where visas will be approved even if any of the below are true and that’s because it matters entirely on how you present your case.

• Choosing a program that is relevant to you. Ideally, you should choose a program that is directly relevant to your undergraduate and subsequent work experience (if any). However, real life has its own plans and many people don’t work in the same area that you get an education in. This is okay (in my opinion) – as long as you have worked in the area and explain and justify this to the VO, you should be okay. If you don’t have work experience or a prior education in the area, can you really blame the VO for thinking you’re not a bona fide student?
  • Weak sponsor – if your sponsor is not your brother, sister or a parent, you have a weak sponsor. In desi relations, khalas and chachoos, go a long way but the west does not have this culture. A VO will probably not understand your khala’s motivation. If you don’t have a choice, then you should document the relationship – much like immigration expects couples to prove their relationship to each other, you need to prove your relationship to your weak sponsor. You can do this by sharing communication over the past year, getting affidavits. If you have lived with your sponsor for any period of time, try to document it. In general, avoid distant sponsors; particularly if they are in Canada
  • Not having good grades in your prior education. If you have very weak scores, you really need to have a Plan B. Try and take a few semesters in your home country and then apply. You can’t really explain your low scores and I have seen refusal notes on this forum citing poor grades.
  • Not having a credible proof of funds. OK, this confuses most people and I was very lost on what to do as well. What is a credible proof of funds? It is not just a 4 month old bank statement. If you have a million dollars in a statement but the account belongs to your cousin, do you really have a credible source of funds? Nope. A credible source of funds is one you can prove is meant for your education in Canada. The amount is very easy to compute: 1 year’s tuition + 10,000. You can have this amount for months in your bank statement and still be refused if sponsor is weak. In my personal opinion, the best method is to pay for a year upfront. This is the case for other countries as well and it is the best way to prove that the amount in your statement was meant for your education. If you have a large amount deposited in your account in the last few months and it is very visible in your statement, you must prove the source of these funds (sale of an asset, inwards transfer from sponsor etc.). Some sources will be justifiable (sale of an asset for an education) but if source is a cousin, weak weak weak!
  • Travel History – honestly don’t worry if you don’t have this. It doesn’t matter for a student visa and VO just ticks this when he’s ticking other stuff (this is especially true for a bachelor’s degree. A VO knows a typical Asian passport is terrible for traveling abroad and what are the odds that a typical 20-year-old will have traveled to Europe or whatever? It’s non-sense.
  • Weak Ties to your home country. This is also difficult to document but there are two categories: social ties and economic ties. Social ties are your family and you need to explain to the VO that you need to come home and take care of them. Economic ties are a job offer, prospective jobs in the country, assets. A travel history in which you haven’t violated any visas is also a tie because it shows you came back to your country on time.

Last edited:
Reactions: faraz123

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Guys...

This is Hassan, a 25 years old graduate from Karachi, Pakistan.

I did bachelors in Business Administration (16 years completed) from Iqra University with 3.27 CGPA...

I now intend to look for study visa of Canada.

I have explored some of the options by myself...Since you guys are quite experienced and may have gone through the process of study visa...I will surely want to take advice from you.

I am actually confused.

My first question:-

I have now two options being a Bachelor.

1 - Masters of one/two years in Canada
2 - Post graduate Certificate/diploma of one/two year in Canada.

Please tell me which one from above two is gonna best in getting me student visa successfully.

Also second thing is by reading other threads/posts...I came to know that getting student visa by admitting to college is quite difficult compared to being admitted in university....Is it true?

Third thing is How do you rate Simon Fraser university and University of Saskatchewan...Will they prove to be helpful in getting me student visa?

Fourthly, I want to remain there in Canada after studying....will look for job simultaneously while studying and then will like to give application of work permit ( to extend it ).......The problem is will visa official in Pakistan after hearing this during interview still approve my student visa? because I have read that they want/ask confirmation from student to return to their home country after completion of studies and failure to provide that promise can get rejection to your student visa. Is it true?

And Lastly....What questions a visa official ask to Pakistani students during interview? Please mention some questions.

Thanks for reading this. I will be thankful to you if you reply to all of my five queries. Hope these are not tricky questions

Peace.
1: Masters will be better for you. Chances for getting study permit for diploma is low so go for masters. Go for a program that is more than a year since you'll get a work permit of one year for a one year program which would be risky when you'll be applying for your Permanent residence application as they want minimum of one year Canadian experience so be on the safe side and get a program with a longer duration.

2: Yes, colleges have less approval rate for study permit. Go for Universities.

3: Both of them are good Universities. For Business and AFM, Simon Fraser University is a better choice.

4: No, they will not approve your study permit. For study permit you have to prove that you'll leave the country once your program has been completed through ties with your home country llike family relations, properties, investments etc.

5: The interviewer has no idea what you have submitted/provided with your application, he was asking the same questions with everyone, - which program you have applied for - why you choose to study in canada as canada is very expensive -do you have any relatives in canada -will you apply for immigration in future - what will you do after completion of your program?

^someone recently gave the interview for Canadian study permit and this is his experience.

ImHassan

May 30, 2018
I wrote this for someone else. Hopefully it'll help you and others here:

What makes a visa application weak?

In this post, I want to summarize what I’ve learned about the visa process since January of this year. I have not yet received a visa but I wanted to write this now as the process is still fresh. So take everything with a grain of salt. Basically, everything below is my opinion and there will be cases where visas will be approved even if any of the below are true and that’s because it matters entirely on how you present your case.

• Choosing a program that is relevant to you. Ideally, you should choose a program that is directly relevant to your undergraduate and subsequent work experience (if any). However, real life has its own plans and many people don’t work in the same area that you get an education in. This is okay (in my opinion) – as long as you have worked in the area and explain and justify this to the VO, you should be okay. If you don’t have work experience or a prior education in the area, can you really blame the VO for thinking you’re not a bona fide student?
  • Weak sponsor – if your sponsor is not your brother, sister or a parent, you have a weak sponsor. In desi relations, khalas and chachoos, go a long way but the west does not have this culture. A VO will probably not understand your khala’s motivation. If you don’t have a choice, then you should document the relationship – much like immigration expects couples to prove their relationship to each other, you need to prove your relationship to your weak sponsor. You can do this by sharing communication over the past year, getting affidavits. If you have lived with your sponsor for any period of time, try to document it. In general, avoid distant sponsors; particularly if they are in Canada
  • Not having good grades in your prior education. If you have very weak scores, you really need to have a Plan B. Try and take a few semesters in your home country and then apply. You can’t really explain your low scores and I have seen refusal notes on this forum citing poor grades.
  • Not having a credible proof of funds. OK, this confuses most people and I was very lost on what to do as well. What is a credible proof of funds? It is not just a 4 month old bank statement. If you have a million dollars in a statement but the account belongs to your cousin, do you really have a credible source of funds? Nope. A credible source of funds is one you can prove is meant for your education in Canada. The amount is very easy to compute: 1 year’s tuition + 10,000. You can have this amount for months in your bank statement and still be refused if sponsor is weak. In my personal opinion, the best method is to pay for a year upfront. This is the case for other countries as well and it is the best way to prove that the amount in your statement was meant for your education. If you have a large amount deposited in your account in the last few months and it is very visible in your statement, you must prove the source of these funds (sale of an asset, inwards transfer from sponsor etc.). Some sources will be justifiable (sale of an asset for an education) but if source is a cousin, weak weak weak!
  • Travel History – honestly don’t worry if you don’t have this. It doesn’t matter for a student visa and VO just ticks this when he’s ticking other stuff (this is especially true for a bachelor’s degree. A VO knows a typical Asian passport is terrible for traveling abroad and what are the odds that a typical 20-year-old will have traveled to Europe or whatever? It’s non-sense.
  • Weak Ties to your home country. This is also difficult to document but there are two categories: social ties and economic ties. Social ties are your family and you need to explain to the VO that you need to come home and take care of them. Economic ties are a job offer, prospective jobs in the country, assets. A travel history in which you haven’t violated any visas is also a tie because it shows you came back to your country on time.
Sir...I am humbled, really...Thanks for your time and great reply. You have great writing skills. Actually, This is my first time in getting involved in all this. I don't know jack about it. Thank you, again.

1: Masters will be better for you. Chances for getting study permit for diploma is low so go for masters. Go for a program that is more than a year since you'll get a work permit of one year for a one year program which would be risky when you'll be applying for your Permanent residence application as they want minimum of one year Canadian experience so be on the safe side and get a program with a longer duration.

2: Yes, colleges have less approval rate for study permit. Go for Universities.

3: Both of them are good Universities. For Business and AFM, Simon Fraser University is a better choice.

4: No, they will not approve your study permit. For study permit you have to prove that you'll leave the country once your program has been completed through ties with your home country llike family relations, properties, investments etc.

5: The interviewer has no idea what you have submitted/provided with your application, he was asking the same questions with everyone, - which program you have applied for - why you choose to study in canada as canada is very expensive -do you have any relatives in canada -will you apply for immigration in future - what will you do after completion of your program?

^someone recently gave the interview for Canadian study permit and this is his experience.
Thank you.

Regarding your fifth point, my answer is

will you apply for immigration in future -

50/50....one side of mine want to apply for immigration and the other side of mine don't want to as it is not easy to live in West forever for Muslims given current circumstances

what will you do after completion of your program?

May be job or may be return back to Pakistan

------------

How are the answers...How do you rate them? :)

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
ImHassan said:

50/50....one side of mine want to apply for immigration and the other side of mine don't want to as it is not easy to live in West forever for Muslims given current circumstances

------------

Just say no. "At this stage, I don't see myself applying for Canadian immigration as I have my parents to take care of here". Just make a link to your ties here.

Don't mention the Muslim aspect.

Don't worry about immigration, at all. It is more transparent than study or visitor visa application. Worry about this when the time comes. Just know a Canadian degree + work experience (either in Pakistan or Canada) will get you there.

Have you given IELTS?

Reactions: hussainkestrel

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Sir...I am humbled, really...Thanks for your time and great reply. You have great writing skills. Actually, This is my first time in getting involved in all this. I don't know jack about it. Thank you, again.

Thank you.

Regarding your fifth point, my answer is

------------

I would agree with @AstronomyNut on this. Never give them a hint that you want to settle down there even if you want to do so. They want you there only for education so try to prove that you will leave Canada. Also do not make it controversial by bringing Islam in it. It would be better to avoid the topic.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Some additional advice:

Worry about university admissions first. That is a different process altogether. Once you submit applications and are free, then read about the visa process. After you submit your visa application, read about how to succeed in Canada professionally and academically. Once you are in Canada, worry about immigration but trust me, that should be the least of your concerns.

You can read about my university admission experience here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/master-degree-in-canada.562515/#post-6967227

Some points that I mention in the above post don't matter for a business applicant (such as reaching out to professes etc.)

ImHassan

May 30, 2018
Just say no. "At this stage, I don't see myself applying for Canadian immigration as I have my parents to take care of here". Just make a link to your ties here.

Don't mention the Muslim aspect.

Don't worry about immigration, at all. It is more transparent than study or visitor visa application. Worry about this when the time comes. Just know a Canadian degree + work experience (either in Pakistan or Canada) will get you there.

Have you given IELTS?
I plan to give IELTS soon....As of now, just gathering info as much as I can. I totally agree with your rest of the post.

I would agree with @AstronomyNut on this. Never give them a hint that you want to settle down there even if you want to do so. They want you there only for education so try to prove that you will leave Canada. Also do not make it controversial by bringing Islam in it. It would be better to avoid the topic.
Okay. Thanks :)

Have a great day.

Some additional advice:

Worry about university admissions first. That is a different process altogether. Once you submit applications and are free, then read about the visa process. After you submit your visa application, read about how to succeed in Canada professionally and academically. Once you are in Canada, worry about immigration but trust me, that should be the least of your concerns.

You can read about my university admission experience here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/master-degree-in-canada.562515/#post-6967227

Some points that I mention in the above post don't matter for a business applicant (such as reaching out to professes etc.)
I got it...Really helpful your answers/points, man. I really thank you...

I am trying to grasp things now, gradually. Will continue to post on this forum if need arises.

Have a great day :)

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I plan to give IELTS soon....As of now, just gathering info as much as I can. I totally agree with your rest of the post.
Put in a strong effort for IELTS. It matters a lot for Canadian admissions and for study permits. VO's place a good amount of emphasis on it.

ImHassan

May 30, 2018
Put in a strong effort for IELTS. It matters a lot for Canadian admissions and for study permits. VO's place a good amount of emphasis on it.
Will do, sir :)

Actually, The reason I brought Islam aspect is because I am close to being a practicing Muslim and have beard as well....There is a genuine concern on my part about how Canadians perceive Muslims. Obviously thousands of Muslims are migrating towards west/Canada but still it is better to know about country as much as you can and have a cautious look before taking any initiative. Due to this factor, despite my desire to live in that beautiful country, I am still somewhat shaky from within to actually go for working/living in Canada permanently and this thought/worry comes to my mind from time to time.

Although, I have read that Canadians are very nice folks and are polite compared to their southern neighbors and government of Mr. Trudeau is very friendly to minorities.

Another confusion/problem arises in my mind is when Canadian government itself announces and have policy of issuing post graduate work permits to international students after finishing studies then why their visa official at the same time asks students to come back to home country after studies?

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Another confusion/problem arises in my mind is when Canadian government itself announces and have policy of issuing post graduate work permits to international students after finishing studies then why their visa official at the same time asks students to come back to home country after studies?
It is to deter the use of a study permit as a vehicle for immigration. After one graduates... then obviously they were a bona fida student, no further proof is necessary. Hence, a PGWP is then issued without much fuss. Just my opinion.

ImHassan

May 30, 2018
It is to deter the use of a study permit as a vehicle for immigration. After one graduates... then obviously they were a bona fida student, no further proof is necessary. Hence, a PGWP is then issued without much fuss. Just my opinion.
You're right, I think. Makes sense. Otherwise everyone will start opting for this lol

Anyways, plans change....My father intends to take retirement in 2020, if he actually does, I will not be able to apply for PGWP or immigration after studies assuming I got study visa now for 1.5/2 years....I will have to return back to Pakistan since my two younger brothers are/will not be equipped two years from now on to take responsibility of family...

In above case, your point seems true and applicable....Get a Canadian degree and come back, get a work experience in Pakistan and then apply for immigration. Will take time but good option. I think I can do this.

Anyway....lets see what happens :)

All the best for your future endeavors...It's nice to talk with you.

BTW, you're Pakistani or Indian? :)

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
You're right, I think. Makes sense. Otherwise everyone will start opting for this lol

Anyways, plans change....My father intends to take retirement in 2020, if he actually does, I will not be able to apply for PGWP or immigration after studies assuming I got study visa now for 1.5/2 years....I will have to return back to Pakistan since my two younger brothers are/will not be equipped two years from now on to take responsibility of family...

In above case, your point seems true and applicable....Get a Canadian degree and come back, get a work experience in Pakistan and then apply for immigration. Will take time but good option. I think I can do this.

Anyway....lets see what happens :)

All the best for your future endeavors...It's nice to talk with you.

BTW, you're Pakistani or Indian? :)
Just to give you some perspective so you weigh your options. I have a friend in Canada, with an MBA from LSE (Lahore), and he initially had difficulty finding employment. He still does not have a permanent position and is working on a contract. He has been there since October-17. North American experience is valued very highly in Canada, especially in business/management, because these skills are (probably) not easily transferable. So perseverance is the name of the game. So I feel a PGWP is a good way to check if you can make it there - you don't have to go through full blown immigration. A Canadian degree does not necessarily guarantee success thought it will certainly help. The best option would be something like a Co-Op degree in Canada - see if you can find a program in your field. This will give you Canadian experience and the probability that you will land a job out straight out of school increases significantly.

Side Note: An alternate plan could be to go to Netherlands or Germany, their visas are much more reasonable. If you manage a master's degree before you 30, you will have a very good score for Canadian immigration, regardless of where you get your degree. Both countries also give you upto a year to check out your options but a good command of Dutch/German is necessary to succeed in business/management areas.

All of the above is anecdotal and you should take with a grain of salt!

Thank you and I'm Pakistani.

tameezs

May 21, 2018
You say the amount in your bank fluctuates. How much does it fluctuate? The bank statement is of how many months? At any point in your bank statement, the amount has been less than that required for your full year expense plus living expenses that is full year tuition plus 12000 cad? Kindly answer each question so that we can get a clear picture of your bank statement.

Moving on to not being a bona fide student. Probably the visa officer thinks that doing a bachelors in Mathematics wont be beneficial to you especially in Pakistan. He is not convinced that the cost of studying at Waterloo for Maths would provide you with enough financial benefit to justify the cost of studying in Canada. Furthermore, you should have gone for IELTS, Language proficiency is to a limited extent, an indicator to show whether the applicant would be able to succeed as a student here in Canada. It also shows that the applicant has put in extra effort to show this to the VO even though IELTS was exempted to him. So you should definitely go for IELTS. Furthermore, I would agree with @AstronomyNut that you should go for GCMS notes. You can get them from here https://www.caipsgcms.com/ However it may take a month to get them so by the time you will get it and make amendments to your application, you wont have enough time to get your study permit in time but better late than never.

I too applied for study permit on 20th October and for Waterloo (The same University too) CS bachelors program and my application was approved. You have to prove that you are a bona fide student and giving IELTS should be a must for you now since this will be your third attempt. You need every plus point in your application that you can get.

About your PCC, There has been refusals on missing PCC by the Abu Dhabi embassy and the rule of thumb is that the date of issuance of PCC should not be more than 3 months old by the time you are applying so get a new one.
The assets are not in a single account.they are actually in 3 accounts all in the name if my father. One is the savings account, one is the salary account and one is a foreign currency account. Amount has fluctuated alot, at times going as low as under a million PKR but at time exceeding 4-5million.. But that was due to the investments my father makes.. The balance at time of applying would be however around 4.4mill pkr. Plus some property of around 5.6million.

m.zeeshan_443

Sep 13, 2017
Dear All

Please advise as i am applying for study permit for Canada from Saudi Arabia and my father has opened a new shop in Bahria Town Lahore.Since the shop is new so it is still not registered and there are no tax returns to be shown. Please advise if i should show this shop as a source of income.Properry of 45 million is ready to be shown.My father got retired from Saudi Arabia last year and now running the shop.

Waiting for your kind feedback

ImHassan

May 30, 2018
Just to give you some perspective so you weigh your options. I have a friend in Canada, with an MBA from LSE (Lahore), and he initially had difficulty finding employment. He still does not have a permanent position and is working on a contract. He has been there since October-17. North American experience is valued very highly in Canada, especially in business/management, because these skills are (probably) not easily transferable. So perseverance is the name of the game. So I feel a PGWP is a good way to check if you can make it there - you don't have to go through full blown immigration. A Canadian degree does not necessarily guarantee success thought it will certainly help. The best option would be something like a Co-Op degree in Canada - see if you can find a program in your field. This will give you Canadian experience and the probability that you will land a job out straight out of school increases significantly.

Side Note: An alternate plan could be to go to Netherlands or Germany, their visas are much more reasonable. If you manage a master's degree before you 30, you will have a very good score for Canadian immigration, regardless of where you get your degree. Both countries also give you upto a year to check out your options but a good command of Dutch/German is necessary to succeed in business/management areas.

All of the above is anecdotal and you should take with a grain of salt!

Thank you and I'm Pakistani.
:)

I got it...

I just have gone through the website of Simon Fraser uni.....regarding MBA....and they are asking for 2 years work experience to get enrolled in MBA program....Did I read correctly?

http://beedie.sfu.ca/graduate/mba/full-time-mba/admissions