+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paid Work exp problem please help

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
Hello all

I am in another problem as I mentioned before that I am working in NOC 6231 for a year now and my job is commission based.

The problem is that I got paid basic salary by the company for first 3 months of that job and later my salary was stopped due to not achieving my sales target and I was on commissions only.

So in the past year I have got my payment proofs of first 3 months and then I got paid commissons in 5th month 6th month, 8th month and 11th month. And all the other months I got paid nothing.

So will IRCC count it as my work exp? And what should I do in this matter any possible solutions?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hello all

I am in another problem as I mentioned before that I am working in NOC 6231 for a year now and my job is commission based.

The problem is that I got paid basic salary by the company for first 3 months of that job and later my salary was stopped due to not achieving my sales target and I was on commissions only.

So in the past year I have got my payment proofs of first 3 months and then I got paid commissons in 5th month 6th month, 8th month and 11th month. And all the other months I got paid nothing.

So will IRCC count it as my work exp? And what should I do in this matter any possible solutions?
My approach would be that your work reference letter should mention these details, as they are very important in your case.
Because your employer won't be able to say you were paid XX$/month like in a regular job, as you didn't have a fixed salary after 3 months, you need to have him show that you were paid.
So, letter should mention that you were employed full-time/part-time, start date and ongoing, work hours, job title, and working exclusively on commissions of XX% (or whatever the commissions scale is), along with duties. You can even list the payments you got on 5th month, 6th month...etc.

I invite other members to weigh in on the matter for different opinions.

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
My approach would be that your work reference letter should mention these details, as they are very important in your case.
Because your employer won't be able to say you were paid XX$/month like in a regular job, as you didn't have a fixed salary after 3 months, you need to have him show that you were paid.
So, letter should mention that you were employed full-time/part-time, start date and ongoing, work hours, job title, and working exclusively on commissions of XX% (or whatever the commissions scale is), along with duties. You can even list the payments you got on 5th month, 6th month...etc.

I invite other members to weigh in on the matter for different opinions.
I got upto 32% commissions on my sales that varies product by product.

So my manager should state that

This person got paid upto 32% commissions on his sales and since his job started he earned ××× amount from the company as commissions on his sales?

And if I do that then what docs should I attach with my work exp to prove that I earned this amount? If I show account deposits then how can I explain missing months?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
I got upto 32% commissions on my sales that varies product by product.

So my manager should state that

This person got paid upto 32% commissions on his sales and since his job started he earned ××× amount from the company as commissions on his sales?

And if I do that then what docs should I attach with my work exp to prove that I earned this amount? If I show account deposits then how can I explain missing months?
I think that could do the trick, if you also attach payslips (if any) to support it.
But even without payslips that should be okay, as long as it's mentioned in the reference letter.

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
I think that could do the trick, if you also attach payslips (if any) to support it.
But even without payslips that should be okay, as long as it's mentioned in the reference letter.
My first month payment was done by cheque and I got pay slip and cheque copy. Other months in which I got something I was paid by direct deposits in my account.

I can show these deposits but then what to do about missing months? Like If I show last 6 months bank statement there are only 3 months in which my account got credited how should I explain it in loe? And will it cause any impact?

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
My first month payment was done by cheque and I got pay slip and cheque copy. Other months in which I got something I was paid by direct deposits in my account.

I can show these deposits but then what to do about missing months? Like If I show last 6 months bank statement there are only 3 months in which my account got credited how should I explain it in loe? And will it cause any impact?
My opinion is:
As long as your reference letter mentions payment details and work dates consistent with your declared work duration, I don't think it would impact your application, and wouldn't worry about missing months. As long as your salary is legit and legal
But sure, you can mention your payment scheme in LOE for matters of transparency, and should be consistent with what's written on your reference letter.

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
My opinion is:
As long as your reference letter mentions payment details and work dates consistent with your declared work duration, I don't think it would impact your application, and wouldn't worry about missing months. As long as your salary is legit and legal
But sure, you can mention your payment scheme in LOE for matters of transparency, and should be consistent with what's written on your reference letter.
Yes my reference letter will mention that I was paid on commissions on my sales and total income earned till date is XX amount.

And I will mention in loe that My job was commission based and that is why I have a variable monthly income in which I got paid good amount in some months and even none in others (because income is subject to the sales I make) and total XX amount in a year so kindly asses my income as yearly and not monthly.

Is it okay then?

Last edited:

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Yes my reference letter will mention that I was paid on commissions on my sales and total income earned till date is XX amount.

And I will mention in loe that My job was commission based and that is why I have a variable monthly income in which I got paid good amount in some months and even none in others (because income is subject to the sales I make) and total XX amount in a year so kindly asses my income as yearly and not monthly.

Is it okay then?
Excellent. Maybe even add your commissions percentage on reference letter if you know it.