Paid Vacation during CEC experience

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
I took 1 week off to go outside Canada. It was a paid vacation. I am reading ambiguous answers on this issue. Can someone help me with this?

I am following this CIC clause :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.

Can someone the highlighted, please

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I took 1 week off to go outside Canada. It was a paid vacation. I am reading ambiguous answers on this issue. Can someone help me with this?

I am following this CIC clause :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.

Can someone the highlighted, please

What is your question ?

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
That one week will count as your work experience don’t worry.
Appreciate your feedback, but can you explain this to me?
An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience)

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience)
I am not going explain the above but as part of your work contract you would have been provided some few days or weeks as vacation. During this vacation you were on the company’s payroll.

During my 1 year of work exp in Canada, I had taken 3 business trips overseas(2 weeks each) and 2 x 1 week vacation overseas as well.

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
I am not going explain the above but as part of your work contract you would have been provided some few days or weeks as vacation. During this vacation you were on the company’s payroll.

During my 1 year of work exp in Canada, I had taken 3 business trips overseas(2 weeks each) and 2 x 1 week vacation overseas as well.
Okk thanks. So you were in the same scenario as me? and applied and got PR?

jvm8

Jul 30, 2018
I am yet to receive the PPR. I was stuck in security screening but my eligibility was passed long time ago.
So you were out of Canada for 8 weeks out of your 52 weeks? And your eligibility was still passed? I think this is an example of how they judge your business trips abroad on a case by case basis. @jes_ON

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
So you were out of Canada for 8 weeks out of your 52 weeks? And your eligibility was still passed? I think this is an example of how they judge your business trips abroad on a case by case basis. @jes_ON
Yes, as I said above these trips I took during the 1 yr of my work in Canada.
6 weeks business trip and 2 weeks of vacation
As part of my work contract the vacation
days are clearly mentioned in the contract so there is no ambiguity.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Some people who work for multinationals occasionally get temporary assignments outside of Canada (e.g. back in their home country). This work experience does not count. Some were trying to claim it as "vacation" so that it would count.

If it was actually vacation, it is not problem. But you cannot count work outside of Canada as vacation. That is what it says.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanu917

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
Some people who work for multinationals occasionally get temporary assignments outside of Canada (e.g. back in their home country). This work experience does not count. Some were trying to claim it as "vacation" so that it would count.

If it was actually vacation, it is not problem. But you cannot count work outside of Canada as vacation. That is what it says.
Thanks man! really appreciate it.

khalsa.pradeepsingh

Star Member
May 4, 2019
Hi ,
I have same problem.
1. I joined as contractor on 4th july 2019 and my contract will end at 3rd july 2020. Will it be 1 year? Or it has to be 4th july 2020.?

2. My father passed away in jan i took 2 week off. I believe its was unpaid and had self isolation for corona for 2 week unpaid. Do i have to work exta 1 month to fill this gap.

3. However by the end of my contract I'll have 26 paystubs.

4. the hours are calculated 30/week. Means every week of 52 week have to work minimum 30 hrs?

Thank you in advance

OldBoy31

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Hi ,
I have same problem.
1. I joined as contractor on 4th july 2019 and my contract will end at 3rd july 2020. Will it be 1 year? Or it has to be 4th july 2020.?

2. My father passed away in jan i took 2 week off. I believe its was unpaid and had self isolation for corona for 2 week unpaid. Do i have to work exta 1 month to fill this gap.

3. However by the end of my contract I'll have 26 paystubs.

4. the hours are calculated 30/week. Means every week of 52 week have to work minimum 30 hrs?

Thank you in advance
For CEC you need to work minimum 1560 hours (52 weeks x 30hrs per week). If you have that then you're eligible.

meet7

Jan 1, 2022
hi
I started working as ECE educator assistant in first week of feb(2021) but I took 45 days unpaid vacation INMID OCT and went outside Canada . came back and started working again at same post . some are saying that my experience starts again from the date I last entered Canada some says I have to work more 45 days in order to complete 1560 hours for CEC . ow does it effect my work experience.
Secondly I have no ECE academic qualification so I have to do few certificate short courses only then I will be hired permanently though I am working as full time employee . I am not sure that a post graduate work permit holder is allowed to do any short part time course or certificate course under 6month.
any guidance will be helpful:)