+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paid the wrong fee (spouse sponsorship)

kris2222

Nov 19, 2014
Good evening!

We applied some time ago for permanent residence in family class. As the information in CIC homepage is not overly clear, we chose paid the wrong fee. Instead of sponsorship application (75 CAD) and principal applicant fee (475 CAD) we paid spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner fee (550 CAD).

We were wondering if something like that has happened to anyone else as well, and how was the situation solved? Technically it is the same amount of money that the other two fees combined.

Thank you in advance.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I actually think it doesn't really matter as long as it calculates out to the same amount. The reason I say that is that the receipt only says the total amount. It doesn't say what it was for at all. I think I would try to call the call centre to confirm, but I don't think it's an actual problem.

jmarie

Jan 14, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-16-2015
AOR Received.
04-21-2015
We did the same thing (it's confusing!) and I think it's OK. It says on the instruction guide that if you overpay you'll get a refund. It's only if you underpay that it's an issue.

kris2222 said:
Good evening!

We applied some time ago for permanent residence in family class. As the information in CIC homepage is not overly clear, we chose paid the wrong fee. Instead of sponsorship application (75 CAD) and principal applicant fee (475 CAD) we paid spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner fee (550 CAD).

We were wondering if something like that has happened to anyone else as well, and how was the situation solved? Technically it is the same amount of money that the other two fees combined.

Thank you in advance.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
I think it will be fine.

You will most likely be asked to pay the rfpr fee if you haven't already as well, just keep that in mind.

Edit: once you have decision made on the application that is.

chrismgallen

Star Member
Aug 24, 2013
NB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015 OWP Received.: 20-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
kris2222 said:
Good evening!

Thank you in advance.
Did exactly the same on my application that was received by CIC on May 19th 2015. I don't see any reason for our mistake to mean anything other than a refund somewhere down the line and indeed, got the following reply on that topic from yet another person who did exactly the same thing. Feeling a lot better knowing I wasn't the only one to make that mistake!!! Haven't yet had any communication from CIC or my AOR but don't see any reason for concern :)

sb414 said:
I did the same thing in December, I overpaid by $60.
I received an email from CIC the same day I got AOR, they emailed me to say they were refunding me the $60.
Then they allocated the $1040 to the right payment option and that was all. It didn't affect anything, and minutes after that email, I had the email with AOR.
So it is no big deal, and I received the refund pretty quick after that.