+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PA with MS medical exam worries

TabsAbroad

Sep 11, 2019
Category........
FAM
I am the principal applicant in a family class sponsorship and I have Multiple sclerosis, I just got my medical request today and I'm terrified of having MS will get our application denied. I haven't been able to find anything specific about MS and application denials or approvals. My husband has a very good job and plans to buy private insurance as well if im approved for PR.. but is MS one of the things that will veto some one's application? I am from the US and we have been married two years, I got my diagnosis 3 months after our wedding and it's been a dark cloud of worry for both of us ever since we found out my diseases may disqualify me for immigration. We were 100% honest in the initial application about my diagnosis... and hoping that his sponsorship approval and biometrics request and medical request for me means they will allow it but i'm scared still.

Reactions: Smileyman

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am the principal applicant in a family class sponsorship and I have Multiple sclerosis, I just got my medical request today and I'm terrified of having MS will get our application denied. I haven't been able to find anything specific about MS and application denials or approvals. My husband has a very good job and plans to buy private insurance as well if im approved for PR.. but is MS one of the things that will veto some one's application? I am from the US and we have been married two years, I got my diagnosis 3 months after our wedding and it's been a dark cloud of worry for both of us ever since we found out my diseases may disqualify me for immigration. We were 100% honest in the initial application about my diagnosis... and hoping that his sponsorship approval and biometrics request and medical request for me means they will allow it but i'm scared still.
If you're being sponsored through spousal sponsorship - you can't be refused for this reason.

TabsAbroad

Sep 11, 2019
Category........
FAM
If you're being sponsored through spousal sponsorship - you can't be refused for this reason.
do you have something that could verify that? i haven't seen anything on the immigration websites all i see is people getting denied for disabilities...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's the specific section from the above link. See what I've underlined.

Exemptions from inadmissibility on grounds of excessive demand
As per paragraphs R24, R117(g) and R139(4), excessive demand determinations under A38(1)(c) do not apply to:

• spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • a dependent child (including an adopted a child) of the sponsor, or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;
  • Convention Refugees;
  • protected persons.
Although such individuals must undertake a full immigration medical examination, they are not assessed for excessive demand.

TabsAbroad

Sep 11, 2019
Category........
FAM
thanks, so this means that because my husband is sponsoring me they wont deny me just because I have MS?

TabsAbroad

Sep 11, 2019
Category........
FAM
.. i mean, i didn't know this, so it's not that well known of a fact... considering other people have been denied family class sponsorship due to the PA having MS or Diabetes .. also this list doesn't really read well in layman...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
.. i mean, i didn't know this, so it's not that well known of a fact... considering other people have been denied family class sponsorship due to the PA having MS or Diabetes .. also this list doesn't really read well in layman...
Not all family sponsorship classes are exempt. However spouses are. If you go back and re-read the stories you've read about people being refused for medical reasons, you'll see the are individuals immigrating through other immigration streams such as non-exempt family sponsorship (e.g. parent, grandparent sponsorship) and economic immigration (Express Entry, Provincial Nomination, etc.).

Again, you cannot be refused for medical reasons. You're honestly worrying for absolutely no reason.

TabsAbroad

Sep 11, 2019
Category........
FAM
Not all family sponsorship classes are exempt. However spouses are. If you go back and re-read the stories you've read about people being refused for medical reasons, you'll see the are individuals immigrating through other immigration streams such as non-exempt family sponsorship (e.g. parent, grandparent sponsorship) and economic immigration (Express Entry, Provincial Nomination, etc.).

Again, you cannot be refused for medical reasons. You're honestly worrying for absolutely no reason.
im not worrying anymore now that i have the source that shows this, you are kinda being a jerk about my previous worry however... up until this point i had every reason to worry because i couldn't find a clear answer about this. I'm obviously new to immigration, so to state like i should obviously know everything about this very complicated process... is kinda absurd. Thanks for the resources but please stop being condescending about my initial post.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
im not worrying anymore now that i have the source that shows this, you are kinda being a jerk about my previous worry however... up until this point i had every reason to worry because i couldn't find a clear answer about this. I'm obviously new to immigration, so to state like i should obviously know everything about this very complicated process... is kinda absurd. Thanks for the resources but please stop being condescending about my initial post.
Not condescending - just direct. Wanting to give you 100% assurance you can't be refused for this reason and that this isn't something you need to be worried about. Lots to worry about in the immigration process - this fortunately isn't one for you.

Smileyman

Jun 11, 2019
Hello, did it work out for you? how was the medical test and what was the outcome please? me and my wife are in same situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, did it work out for you? how was the medical test and what was the outcome please? me and my wife are in same situation.
You are in very different situations actually. If you are sponsoring a spouse because you are already a PR or citizen there is no limit for medical costs. The only criteria must be that the spouse is not a danger to the Canadian public.

If a family is applying together for express entry there is a medical inadmissibility clause if your medical costs are too high.

Sarahaiss

Nov 27, 2020
Hi, I'm applying for my PR through spousal sponsorship and I have Multiple sclerosis. I was diagnosed 3 years ago, my condition is stable with no relapses, no symptoms and I am currently on medication.
I know that MS medications are expensive and that the public health insurance doesn't cover any medications .. can you please tell me more about procedure of the insurance and medications and how much time does it take to have the medicine?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm applying for my PR through spousal sponsorship and I have Multiple sclerosis. I was diagnosed 3 years ago, my condition is stable with no relapses, no symptoms and I am currently on medication.
I have a question regarding , I know that MS medications are expensive and that the public health insurance doesn't cover any medications .. can you please tell me more about procedure of the insurance and medications and how much time does it take to have the medicine?
Varies by province so there isn’t a general answer.