+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP w/ Inland application... a few questions :)

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Hi Everybody!

The days are counting down until I send out my application, but I'm just working my way through the OWP application so I can include it with everything else and I'm a little confused.

I'm using this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
Which is correct, I hope! I currently have a work permit for one employer, I received it though an LMO. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. I just want to be able to hopefully get another (much better) job when I get my AIP.

Question 3 has me stumped right off the bat. I need to choose what I'm applying for and "A work permit with a new employer" and "A work permit with the same employer" are my options. (The other two have to do with TRVs, and I already have one until 2015). So... I just choose "A work permit with a new employer"?

Later, question 7, It asks my current status in Canada. Should I put "worker" since I have a permit, or should I be putting something else that would go along with the fact that I'm applying for permanent residence?

On page 3 "Details of intended work in Canada" I finally have the option to choose OWP. That would mean I can skip the whole section about "Details of my prospective employer," right? Should I put Calgary down as my intended location of employment, or just leave it blank since it seems to be for my prospective employer, which I don't have (since I'm applying for an OWP).

Also, do I need all the supporting documents, such as the Declaration of Common Law Union, photocopy of my passport, photocopy of my work permit, etc, or will the just use all of that information that's included in my PR application?

Any other tips would be appreciated ??? And sorry if any of these questions seem obvious, my head is spinning from all this paperwork! My send-off date for the whole thing is the 20th... just a few more days!!

Thank you!

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MonikaR said:
Hi Everybody!

The days are counting down until I send out my application, but I'm just working my way through the OWP application so I can include it with everything else and I'm a little confused.

I'm using this form :extend-worker.asp
Which is correct, I hope! I currently have a work permit for one employer, I received it though an LMO. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. I just want to be able to hopefully get another (much better) job when I get my AIP.

Question 3 has me stumped right off the bat. I need to choose what I'm applying for and "A work permit with a new employer" and "A work permit with the same employer" are my options. (The other two have to do with TRVs, and I already have one until 2015). So... I just choose "A work permit with a new employer"?

Later, question 7, It asks my current status in Canada. Should I put "worker" since I have a permit, or should I be putting something else that would go along with the fact that I'm applying for permanent residence?

On page 3 "Details of intended work in Canada" I finally have the option to choose OWP. That would mean I can skip the whole section about "Details of my prospective employer," right? Should I put Calgary down as my intended location of employment, or just leave it blank since it seems to be for my prospective employer, which I don't have (since I'm applying for an OWP).

Also, do I need all the supporting documents, such as the Declaration of Common Law Union, photocopy of my passport, photocopy of my work permit, etc, or will the just use all of that information that's included in my PR application?

Any other tips would be appreciated ??? And sorry if any of these questions seem obvious, my head is spinning from all this paperwork! My send-off date for the whole thing is the 20th... just a few more days!!

Thank you!
1. Yes thats the right form.

2."A work permit with a new employer"

3. Worker since you have a closed work permit

4. Details of work /details of new employer put "N/A"

5. I sent all the documents necessary for work permit even the work permit checklist.

I am in the same situation as you. I was on a closed work permit and sent inland sponsorship with open work permit application. I received my open work permit a few weeks back.(exactly 6 months from sending the application) I quit my job and looking for a better one but its hard, sent lots of applications online and not a single call yet. I am also in Calgary. Good luck!

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
That was such a straightforward and painless response, I love it! I'll go finish my forms now :)

It's pretty neat that you're also in Calgary. What field are you looking for a job in? I'm really looking forward to finally getting an OWP because being stuck in my current job (Tim Horton's :( ) really sucks. Hopefully you have some luck soon!

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lol I was working at Tim hortons,(still have till 2015 expiry on work permit) and I have this Nepalese supervisor who's always on my ear which is why I quit as soon as I got my open work permit. I had 4 years call center experience and 1 year at HSBC bank so I am applying to any entry jobs but no luck yet. I have a bachelors degree in computer science in the Philippines, had 4 years of food counter attendant in Calgary so its really hard finding a job here. My resume is really not looking good :(

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Haha yeah Tim's!!! :p ;D

So your Bachelor's degree isn't accepted here? It seems like having graduated college would be a big help for you, even if your resume isn't looking so good right now.

I have a lot of experience in hospitality, I was a supervisor in a large kitchen for 3 years, then I switched to front of house and got into bartending. I was a head bartender for 2 years. I really enjoyed bartending, and the paychecks were really nice, especially compared to my current job ::) . I hope I can get back into that. I can't get out of Tim's soon enough!! But hey, at least they are there helping us get our foot in the door here in Canada :)

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Oh! Also, about my UCI/Client ID.

On the application for PR it asks if you have a UCI, so I put in the number from my work permit. I'll also put it on this application for OWP. Is this correct?

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep UCI is the universal client ID found on your closed work permit :)

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MonikaR said:
Haha yeah Tim's!!! :p ;D

So your Bachelor's degree isn't accepted here? It seems like having graduated college would be a big help for you, even if your resume isn't looking so good right now.

I have a lot of experience in hospitality, I was a supervisor in a large kitchen for 3 years, then I switched to front of house and got into bartending. I was a head bartender for 2 years. I really enjoyed bartending, and the paychecks were really nice, especially compared to my current job ::) . I hope I can get back into that. I can't get out of Tim's soon enough!! But hey, at least they are there helping us get our foot in the door here in Canada :)
i don't think having a bachelors degree has any bearing if it comes from a third world country. I read a lot of engineers and professionals working as cab drivers and such since they come from poor countries. I am thinking of going back to school here or hopefully get a canada work experience. It's good that you have supervisory experience. 6 months from now you will get your open work permit so best of luck to you! :)

MonikaR

Nov 28, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-03-2013
AOR Received.
18-04-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2012
Ah, thank you. Sorry to hear that about your degree :( Going back to school here would be great! I'm planning on finishing my Bachelor's here. Canada's education system is really good, definitely better than in the US (I'm American).

For my work permit document number I tried the big red numbers in the upper right side of my WP (starts with BB) but that was one digit too long, so I just used the printed number under that (starts with U) and that fit, so I'm assuming that's the right one?

One thing that's popped up as I finished filling out the OWP application- I think when I filled out my first application for my closed work permit I just put "single" on the form instead of "in a common-law relationship". I thought for some reason they only needed the common-law declaration and all that information if your spouse/common-law partner was immigrating with you or you wanted to be able to bring them with you later on. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me!! What do you think? I guess I can only wait and see.