+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP Exempt from open work permit fee

Mar 21, 2019
Hi,

I'm getting a little nervous as it says a lot of people are being denied their OWP because they failed to pay the full $255. I'm an American on a TRV and when I looked at the fees, it says that I am exempt from the open work permit fee so we only paid $155 since that's what the fee wizard told us to pay. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Should I call and submit the extra money? Waiting on AOR so I believe I still have time if so...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed. Not exempt. Fee is $225. Pay it fast before the application is returned as incomplete.

Reactions: carmengabrielle

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The fee wizard actually asks if you are exempt, rather than telling you. You had to specify that you are not exempt.

Mar 21, 2019
The fee wizard actually asks if you are exempt, rather than telling you. You had to specify that you are not exempt.
Yeah there was a chart where on one side it said I was not exempt and the other side said I was so we only paid half of it essentially. I'm going to get it paid tonight, thanks so much

Reactions: scylla

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I'm getting a little nervous as it says a lot of people are being denied their OWP because they failed to pay the full $255. I'm an American on a TRV and when I looked at the fees, it says that I am exempt from the open work permit fee so we only paid $155 since that's what the fee wizard told us to pay. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Should I call and submit the extra money? Waiting on AOR so I believe I still have time if so...
When does your current status expire? If it is still valid, I STRONGLY suggest you submit a visitor extension app before expiry. There is a very good chance that your OWP app is going to be returned and submitting the visitor extension will maintain your legal status in such a situation.

If you are on Implied Status, then the visitor extension is not an option.

Reactions: k.h.p.
Mar 21, 2019
I believe that it expires at the end of February. I will go ahead and do that tonight when my husband gets home. I just submitted my application on the 6th, do you think that I have enough time to send in the money for my OWP before it gets sent back?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I don't think we've seen any packages from 2020 returned inland yet, so it's hard to say. Judging from the past, the likelihood of your documents being returned is pretty high.

Some - and I mean I only saw 1-2 - people had paid the RPRF as well, and they had had the full OWP permit fee deducted from that with a request to pay the full RPRF later, but that doesn't seem to be the normal process.

Mar 21, 2019
I don't think we've seen any packages from 2020 returned inland yet, so it's hard to say. Judging from the past, the likelihood of your documents being returned is pretty high.

Some - and I mean I only saw 1-2 - people had paid the RPRF as well, and they had had the full OWP permit fee deducted from that with a request to pay the full RPRF later, but that doesn't seem to be the normal process.
Aww, okay. So I should wait for the documents to get back and then resubmit? Or should I at least try?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Try, and then try to submit a webform explaining what you've done-but I don't know if you can.

The receipt you submitted will show the wrong amount, but it's possible the visa officer will check to see how much has actually been submitted if they think you may have realized the error.