+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP and PGWP FSW applicants - I called CIC about proof of funds.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For what it's worth, I called CIC this morning about the proof of funds requirement.

My question: I am currently in Canada, working on an open work permit. I do not have an LMIA, but I got an invitation to apply under FSW. Will my current salary, supported by T4 and NOA, be enough to meet my proof of funds requirement?

The answer: Yes. If the officer wants more, they will let you know.

Now, of course what they say on the phone is not always reliable. It would be great if someone else could reproduce this result and post it here, to be more sure. But I really think people with jobs under OWPs and PGWPs should think for a minute before turning down FSW invitations! There is no guarantee you will get a second one under CEC, and your salary and tax forms really could be enough as far as proof of funds!

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really useful information, thanks for sharing. And I think this information would also hold true for people on LMIA-exempt closed work permits.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Thanks! That seemed to contradicts with what I see in CIC's website (about PoF not required only for people with LMIA) but let see how it goes.

andy000

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-11-2015 :Quebec . 18-11-2016 : Federal
Doc's Request.
26-05-2016 : Birth Certificate (Quebec). RPRF paid Upfront. Australian PCC sent with application.(Federal)
Nomination.....
10-06-2016 : CSQ.
AOR Received.
07-12-2015 : Quebec . 17-02-2017 : Federal.
IELTS Request
Sent With Application.
File Transfer...
17-02-2017.
Med's Request
04-04-2017.
Med's Done....
13-04-2017. Passed : 20-04-2017
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
01-03-2018.
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2018.
LANDED..........
01-05-2018
dobes said:
For what it's worth, I called CIC this morning about the proof of funds requirement.

My question: I am currently in Canada, working on an open work permit. I do not have an LMIA, but I got an invitation to apply under FSW. Will my current salary, supported by T4 and NOA, be enough to meet my proof of funds requirement?

The answer: Yes. If the officer wants more, they will let you know.

Now, of course what they say on the phone is not always reliable. It would be great if someone else could reproduce this result and post it here, to be more sure. But I really think people with jobs under OWPs and PGWPs should think for a minute before turning down FSW invitations! There is no guarantee you will get a second one under CEC, and your salary and tax forms really could be enough as far as proof of funds!
Yep never rely on 100%. Make sure you got at least the requirement ($$$) for one principal applicant.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Auone said:
Really useful information, thanks for sharing. And I think this information would also hold true for people on LMIA-exempt closed work permits.
Yes. Absolutely. I could not believe the common wisdom that CIC would ignore a regular salary from a job held in Canada!

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andy000 said:
Yep never rely on 100%. Make sure you got at least the requirement ($$$) for one principal applicant.
I wrote on my EE application that I had $15,000 for 2 people, and it's true. But with all these expenses related to the PR application, it will dip slightly below and then come back up again before I submit my application. I was worried about that, but couldn't believe they would ignore that I have a permanent job providing a regular income in Canada already, and apparently they won't.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mf4361 said:
Thanks! That seemed to contradicts with what I see in CIC's website (about PoF not required only for people with LMIA) but let see how it goes.
I didn't see it as a contradiction, and that's why I called. How I read it is this: if you have an LMIA-supported job, no proof of funds is necessary. If you don't, you have to prove funds. Those funds have to equal a certain amount, and they have to be yours, not borrowed. Well - isn't that true of a salary in a non-LMIA job?

You have to prove funds if your job isn't LMIA-supported. Isn't an ongoing salary "funds"? That is, can't funds be proven through a salary?

It seems they can be, at least from what I heard today. And I have to say, she didn't have to think twice, and she seemed very sure.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
dobes said:
I didn't see it as a contradiction, and that's why I called. How I read it is this: if you have an LMIA-supported job, no proof of funds is necessary. If you don't, you have to prove funds. Those funds have to equal a certain amount, and they have to be yours, not borrowed. Well - isn't that true of a salary in a non-LMIA job?

You have to prove funds if your job isn't LMIA-supported. Isn't an ongoing salary "funds"? That is, can't funds be proven through a salary?

It seems they can be, at least from what I heard today. And I have to say, she didn't have to think twice, and she seemed very sure.
The hunch is CIC is treating people with a job but without LMIA the same not having a job.

Of course a job is a legit stream of income, but for people already working in Canada they might not that much in cash/bond/stocks laying around at the time of application, even they have no problem in supporting their life, which is the whole intention of PoF. (Maybe they just don't save, who knows?)

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This topic is a hot debate over here. In my case, I am already in Canada and working full-time, and I am applying under CEC. My friend is an immigration consultant, she told me that because I am already in Canada I can place any number on the funds question in EE, and if CEC asks me to provide proof of those funds, that I should submit my bank statement with my letter of employment.

I believe that the document checklist is custom generated, based on the applicant and their EE profile information. I thought that some applicants might get different document checklists even if they recieve ITA under the same EE steam. So for example, if you are applying for FSW, and in your EE profile you say you are currently working in a Canadian job, and you have checked "this is my current employer" (ie I am currently employed) then the document checklist would ask for you to submit T4, NOA and Letter of Employment, instead of PoF. So because I am currently employed in Canada, I won't have to prove that I can support myself when I arrive, but I will have to prove my job can support me, by providing T4, NOA and LoE.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GARJ said:
This topic is a hot debate over here. In my case, I am already in Canada and working full-time, and I am applying under CEC. My friend is an immigration consultant, she told me that because I am already in Canada I can place any number on the funds question in EE, and if CEC asks me to provide proof of those funds, that I should submit my bank statement with my letter of employment.

I believe that the document checklist is custom generated, based on the applicant and their EE profile information. I thought that some applicants might get different document checklists even if they recieve ITA under the same EE steam. So for example, if you are applying for FSW, and in your EE profile you say you are currently working in a Canadian job, and you have checked "this is my current employer" (ie I am currently employed) then the document checklist would ask for you to submit T4, NOA and Letter of Employment, instead of PoF. So because I am currently employed in Canada, I won't have to prove that I can support myself when I arrive, but I will have to prove my job can support me, by providing T4, NOA and LoE.
I think you are right. The CIC lady asked me first about my customized checklist, but I haven't seen it yet, since I have yet to get through all the preceding onerous questions! I told her that I had mentioned that I have a job in Canada on my EE form, but that it is not LMIA-supported, and that is when she said that the T4 and NOA should be enough.

salmunsu

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
Hey dobes,

Once you finish the questionaire it will STILL ask you for POF document regardless of what you enter in the questionaire. I am in the same situation as you. I will try to do what you are planning on doing i.e include job letter and income statements for the past 6 paystubs along with my bank statement.

My only issue is paying off my outstanding credit card debt right now.

I am hoping someone applying in the FSW class can clarify if bank statements + proof of income is good enough?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salmunsu said:
Hey dobes,

Once you finish the questionaire it will STILL ask you for POF document regardless of what you enter in the questionaire. I am in the same situation as you. I will try to do what you are planning on doing i.e include job letter and income statements for the past 6 paystubs along with my bank statement.

My only issue is paying off my outstanding credit card debt right now.

I am hoping someone applying in the FSW class can clarify if bank statements + proof of income is good enough?
I still don't know. I submitted the required bank letter, which showed the amount of funds I would need for me and my partner. In the same PDF, I included 6 months of statements (the bank wouldn't go through 6 months and give averages themselves) and my T4 and NoA. Altogether, it paints a fair picture of my financial situation, and I guess that is what they want to know. I will post if I am rejected because of it, or if I get PR.

salmunsu

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
Hey Dobes,

I will be doing exactly what you did as well. Let me know if your application is accepted.

seabreeze

Feb 27, 2013
Hi,

I received an email from CIC as follows asking my T4, NOA ($52K last year earnings) and last 6 months statements.
---------------
>T4: A copy of the 2014 Canadian Revenue Agency T4 form from xxx.
This must be received at this office by: 2015/08/14

> Notice of Assessment: A copy of the 2014 Canadian Revenue Agency Notice of tax Assessment.

> Funds, proof: Please provide an updated proof of settlement funds. Showing bank account history for the past 6 months with explanation and documentation to support any large deposits. We need explanation of the origins and documentary evidence of all settlement funds submitted, if applicable. Funds must be $11,931 completely available, transferrable and unencumbered by debt or other obligations.
Please click on the following link for more information: /immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
This must be received at this office by: 2015/07/19

------

Submitted my application on May 3rd, 2015 under FSW. Currently working (full time, temp) in Canada with OWP. I have issues with my bank statement.

I showed around $12K when submitting my application.[received 2 cash deposit for $3500 on Mar 27,2015 & $4000 on Apr 7,2015 from my friend who borrowed money from me in several occasions - June 27, 2014 -$5500(given as cash withdrawn from account), few interac transfers]

I have spent most of it. (2 withdrawal transaction by remittance agency for $2000 & $4000 on June, 2015 to my bank account in home county to lend money for my friends)

Now, I have $3K balance in my account+ last three months pay cheque $2500 each after tax (have pay stub) that I didn't deposit yet.

Please advise on how to handle this situation. I got to submit this in next 4 days.

Please help me. Thanks!

witchkiki

Dec 10, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
In your case I would deposit the last 3 cheques. Get something in writing from the friend that borrowed you the money that on June 27,2014 he borrowed you $7,500 and intends to pay you in the next few months. Then attach that letter along with your bank statement for June 2014. Not sure if it would help?

Please let me know what you did and how they answered you!

seabreeze said:
Hi,

I received an email from CIC as follows asking my T4, NOA ($52K last year earnings) and last 6 months statements.
---------------
>T4: A copy of the 2014 Canadian Revenue Agency T4 form from xxx.

> Notice of Assessment: A copy of the 2014 Canadian Revenue Agency Notice of tax Assessment.

> Funds, proof: Please provide an updated proof of settlement funds. Showing bank account history for the past 6 months with explanation and documentation to support any large deposits. We need explanation of the origins and documentary evidence of all settlement funds submitted, if applicable. Funds must be $11,931 completely available, transferrable and unencumbered by debt or other obligations.
Please click on the following link for more information: /immigrate/skilled/funds.asp
This must be received at this office by: 2015/07/19

------

Submitted my application on May 3rd, 2015 under FSW. Currently working (full time, temp) in Canada with OWP. I have issues with my bank statement.

I showed around $12K when submitting my application.[received 2 cash deposit for $3500 on Mar 27,2015 & $4000 on Apr 7,2015 from my friend who borrowed money from me in several occasions - June 27, 2014 -$5500(given as cash withdrawn from account), few interac transfers]

I have spent most of it. (2 withdrawal transaction by remittance agency for $2000 & $4000 on June, 2015 to my bank account in home county to lend money for my friends)

Now, I have $3K balance in my account+ last three months pay cheque $2500 each after tax (have pay stub) that I didn't deposit yet.

Please advise on how to handle this situation. I got to submit this in next 4 days.

Please help me. Thanks!