+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

owner operator questions

saurav1

Apr 11, 2014
Hi all,
Is there any deadline to these Entrepreneurs PNP programs? As in, do we know for how long these programs shall be there for?

Jat_suv

May 19, 2021
Hi all,
Is there any deadline to these Entrepreneurs PNP programs? As in, do we know for how long these programs shall be there for?
I don’t find any reasons to close these entrepreneurial PNP. Though many changes may come time to time

Reactions: saurav1

saurav1

Apr 11, 2014
Do we have any entrepreneurs here who live in middle East and have their business setups in a different country,
I'd like to know ,if this concerns the visa officers as they prefer direct involvement in the business?

UKCANADA999

May 21, 2021
I already have a company in Canada, can I get a new work permit through my company and owner-operator? It is in BC. Pending PR but is a long process and current OWP is taking a long time. Looking at other WP options

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I already have a company in Canada, can I get a new work permit through my company and owner-operator? It is in BC. Pending PR but is a long process and current OWP is taking a long time. Looking at other WP options
How many employees at the Canadian location?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IRCC has stopped accepting work permit applications under the "owner / operator" policy as of April 1, 2021.

corporatewokerlady

Mar 8, 2021
Does the owner-operator new restriction stipulate only business with 6 years of operation as well as ( proof of 6 years ) T2 will qualify? Start up will not be considered?

mYusuf

Star Member
Jul 17, 2020
Hi,

In response to your query
1) here is link navigate to owners/operators https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/variations.html
2) if you open a corporate with a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident and he purchase a business and apply on your behalf you can.
3) your partner/share holder can submit LMIA application for senior position upon approval you can apply for work permit.

Thanks
Dear Salman,
Is the OO program still valid. I believe it has finished.
What are the alternatives? Can one apply for a work permit to launch a new business and later, if the business does contribute to Canada's economy, one may apply for immigration.
In your expert opinion, is this a valid path? What route/program can one take for tbis option.

Thank you for your time.

sourabhbhola

Star Member
Mar 8, 2019
Hi,

I have seen many of you are looking guidance toward business immigration for Permanent Residence, I am hereby explaining program options that you can avail.

There are three main options that you can use toward business immigration for PR.

1) Federal Program - Startup Visa
2) Provincial Program - Entrepreneur Program
3) Express Entry - Owner Operator LMIA (I called this program as self created you will not see any info about this program on official sites)

All three programs have different criteria and need different documentation, i will explain shortly about all three programs.

1) Federal Program - Start-up Visa Program

Under federal program there is no specific net worth requirement by IRCC but you need to get a support letter from one of three organization.
To get a support letter from one of three organization you need to present your idea and business plan they will provide you support letter based on that letter you can apply for TWP as well as PR Application.

2) Provincial Program - Entrepreneur Program

There are 10 provinces and 3 territories each have their own requirement for minimum investment and net worth.

If you are setting up a new business you don't need exploratory visit however if you are buying an existing business most provinces require to do a exploratory visit. you don't need to buy business before getting approval from province/territory.

Common Documents are business plan, exploratory visit report if applicable, verification of net worth from designated accounting firm of that province, we had used KPMG and most of the provinces have them on list.

3) Express Entry - Owner Operator LMIA (I called this program as self created you will not see any info about this program on official sites)

This is the program that give access to come Canada if you don't qualify to two other programs.

To apply under this program you need to buy a business in Canada, no matter what is the price of business and don't need minimum net-worth requirement as well.

Generally you should have Visit Visa so that you can come and buy business, if you don't have visit visa you can setup corporation and other partner/share holder can complete this formality for you.

Each province has different regulations regarding foreigners to open corporation in Canada however the easy one to open by adding up a PR or Citizen as shareholder in Corporation. After setting up corporation and buying business in Canada you need to submit LMIA application under NOC 00 to get 200 points for express entry. once you got positive LMIA you can use that for express entry.

LMIA requirements by ESDC are as under:

These positions are for business owners only. They are not intended for individuals receiving shares as part of a compensation package. To qualify as an owner/operator, foreign nationals must demonstrate prior to submitting their application, and for the duration of their employment in Canada:
  • they have controlling interest in the business:
    • by being the sole proprietor
    • by being a majority shareholder (hold a minimum of 50.1% of the shares)
    • by providing an official document to confirm that one shareholder has controlling interest
  • they cannot be dismissed
  • Variation: no advertisement or recruitment is required
  • Applicability: all provinces and territories
I hope above information will be enough to understand basics for more information email at 5star@gmx.ca Subject: Business Immigration.

Thanks and Have a Great Day
Alternative to owner operator program is International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Entrepreneurs/self-employed candidates seeking to operate a business [R205(a) – C11].
In this instead of LMIA, LMIA exempted job offer number is required.