+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner-Operator policy

pritpalpruthi

Apr 3, 2020
OWNER OPERATOR LMIA PROGRAM: can someone set up tutorial (providing coaching to math and science students ) as a service provider, under cultural activity in BC? If possible,someone please guide...thank you

Ehsan Zafer

Oct 25, 2020
Hi, wanted to know the process of applying for Owner Operator LMIA. Can one proceed with this option without consulting any immigration lawyer? What are the prerequisites for this process? Is there any authentic source that provides in-depth and complete guidelines in this pretext, in-keeping with the prevalent pandemic, including any latest amendments in the rules and regulations for this stream?

Reactions: nat4lp

nitingupta85

Nov 4, 2020
Dear All,
Anyone here who has applied for owner operator visa and got it. I want to know for self employed person. Can anyone explain the whole process and it can be done with lawyer or not.
Thanks in advance

nat4lp

Jun 16, 2019
Category........
BUSINESS
NOC Code......
Essentially the process goes as follows:

1. Identification and Development of Business Concept (if purchasing, identification of business to be acquired)

2. Corporate Prep-Work

• Formation of Corporate Structure
  • Registration with CRA, obtaining Business Number
  • Engagement of Accountant
  • Organizing Banking Matters
  • If necessary, entering into MOUs, Purchase Agreements, Leases, etc.
  • If necessary, and applicable, setting up of virtual corporate office
3. Business Plan with pro-forma financials

4. Preparation of LMIA Application - Use the regular High-Wage Form, Proof of Recruitment is exempted

• This includes all corporate documentation, business plan, CRA docs, attestation letters from CPA, etc.
5. Submit application to ESDC

6. Employer Interview with ESDC

7. Decision from ESDC
Hi Matthew,
Did you submit LMIA owner operator with high wage form? what document needed to exempt the recruitment?

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Hi Matthew,
Did you submit LMIA owner operator with high wage form? what document needed to exempt the recruitment?
i submitted and got approved, you can read all about it in my thread below in my signature. I did apply in September 2019, got a call from officer in January 2020 and finally approved LMIA in February 2020.

From all the documents Mathews have mentioned, business plan is the key and most important one.

nat4lp

Jun 16, 2019
Category........
BUSINESS
NOC Code......
i submitted and got approved, you can read all about it in my thread below in my signature. I did apply in September 2019, got a call from officer in January 2020 and finally approved LMIA in February 2020.

From all the documents Mathews have mentioned, business plan is the key and most important one.
CAn you ping me at nat4lp@gmail.com like to connect and get some information on the form filling

RecentCanuck

Jan 30, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to address all those who have applied for, or are in the process of applying, or just thinking about the program. I may be on the other side of the equation. I say "may" because I'm not sure, hence turning to you all here. Being an immigrant myself, I know how overwhelming and intimidating this process is.

I own a small dry cleaning business in Toronto. Its an actual plant with machines, etc. Currently, it is retail only but has been used for wholesale work (other depots) in the past. Now, having raised enough funds, I want to setup a new dry cleaning facility at an industrial level. My current business is small but cash-flow positive. Besides myself, I have two part-time employees. Also, I want to put this up front, I bought the business in June 2020 and assumed control in November 2020. And before anyone asks: no, I'm not getting rid of it because it was a mistake. I can't possibly undertake a new venture while I'm involved here (9AM to 7PM on most days).

I've asked local brokers for help and they've given a similar answer: no one is transacting right now so look at "other" options. I was advised by an immigration lawyer to seek out foreign entrepreneurs simply because they have a much higher motivation and risk tolerance. They could be generalizing...

My questions:
- will my business qualify for sale to a foreigner under the LMIA program?
- how will anyone carry out their due diligence sitting so far away?

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to address all those who have applied for, or are in the process of applying, or just thinking about the program. I may be on the other side of the equation. I say "may" because I'm not sure, hence turning to you all here. Being an immigrant myself, I know how overwhelming and intimidating this process is.

I own a small dry cleaning business in Toronto. Its an actual plant with machines, etc. Currently, it is retail only but has been used for wholesale work (other depots) in the past. Now, having raised enough funds, I want to setup a new dry cleaning facility at an industrial level. My current business is small but cash-flow positive. Besides myself, I have two part-time employees. Also, I want to put this up front, I bought the business in June 2020 and closed on it in November 2020. And before anyone asks: no, I'm not getting rid of it because it was a mistake. I can't possibly undertake a new venture while I'm involved here (9AM to 7PM on most days).

I've asked local brokers for help and they've given a similar answer: no one is transacting right now so look at "other" options. I was advised by an immigration lawyer to seek out foreign entrepreneurs simply because they have a much higher motivation and risk tolerance. They could be generalizing...

My questions:

IMO your business is too small to be viable for the owner-operator program. It's also not currently operational. IRCC has been raising the bar with regards to what will qualify.

RecentCanuck

Jan 30, 2021
IMO your business is too small to be viable for the owner-operator program. It's also not currently operational. IRCC has been raising the bar with regards to what will qualify.
Thanks. I didn't explain properly...

I signed the purchase agreement in June but waited till November to assume control (aka closing the deal).
The business has been operational for about 20 years and is considered "Essential Service" under Covid-19 lockdown rules so we don't have to shutdown like many other businesses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. I didn't explain properly...

I signed the purchase agreement in June but waited till November to assume control (aka closing the deal).
The business has been operational for about 20 years and is considered "Essential Service" under Covid-19 lockdown rules so we don't have to shutdown like many other businesses.
Ah - OK - misunderstood that.

IMO I would still have concerns IRCC will think the business is too small. But that's just my two cents...

RecentCanuck

Jan 30, 2021
Ah - OK - misunderstood that.

IMO I would still have concerns IRCC will think the business is too small. But that's just my two cents...
I wish there would be some clarity on what constitutes as "small" by IRCC. I think they are trying to mimic the E2 visa in the US by keeping it vague and arbitrary.
One lawyer I spoke to did an actual transaction that involved an auto-detailing shop priced at $130K. Again... estimates are all over the place...

dbliss93

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I own a small dry cleaning business in Toronto. Its an actual plant with machines, etc. Currently, it is retail only but has been used for wholesale work (other depots) in the past. Now, having raised enough funds, I want to setup a new dry cleaning facility at an industrial level. My current business is small but cash-flow positive. Besides myself, I have two part-time employees. Also, I want to put this up front, I bought the business in June 2020 and assumed control in November 2020. And before anyone asks: no, I'm not getting rid of it because it was a mistake. I can't possibly undertake a new venture while I'm involved here (9AM to 7PM on most days).

My questions:

Hello! :). I have someone that wants to Immigrate and is willing to invest or buy entirely buy your business.

I have PMed you.