+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay ..marriage

Baaghi

Jul 26, 2019
Im currently dating this lady, she is overstayed for approx 3 years in Canada.
Came in as a student visa somehow could not continusly pay the fees..
Now what can we do to apply..
We are considering marriage(yes its legit, serious).
Please kindly advise
Im a pr and currently have applied citizenship

Jarvis99

Star Member
Aug 13, 2016
Be careful only marry if u know she is not using you for citienship... Many stories of people getting married just for the visa.

Good luck

Reactions: aby1098

tango47

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Im currently dating this lady, she is overstayed for approx 3 years in Canada.
Came in as a student visa somehow could not continusly pay the fees..
Now what can we do to apply..
We are considering marriage(yes its legit, serious).
Please kindly advise
Im a pr and currently have applied citizenship
I ,and I'm sure many others , have little sympathy for her. She has been living here for three years without status. I'm not sure if it's allowed for her to claim inland PR through marriage but if it is then that's a loophole that should be closed. I'm not being coldhearted . One way to stop this abuse is to have passport exit controla but I doubt if any Government here would go that route.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility

Yes it is possible to marry her and then sponsor her. There is a policy exemption for spouses that allows them to be sponsored even if they are out of status.

However, you can expect your relationship to be closely examined to make sure this isn't a marriage of convenience done just to get PR. If IRCC finds that it is a marriage of convenience and you are lying to IRCC, they can cancel your PR as well.

You should talk to a lawyer/experienced consultant to understand the process and how to apply.

Reactions: Qwertypod