+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay in Canada for 30 days

WENGSKIE02

Mar 24, 2017
Hi there,

My parents got 5 year multiple entry valid until Nov 2018. They visited Canada in July 2014 after 180 days we asked for an extension for another 6 months until July 2015. However, when I asked for another extension I just asked for another 3 months without realizing that we may need them more than that. The extension visa only valid until Oct 11, 2015. However, they left Canada on Nov 11, 2015. They overstayed for 30 days without a valid visa. I have a question if they are still allowed to come in Canada? We are planning to invite them again somewhere in Sept to help us take care of my 2 kids. Please help if you have any experience. Thank you so much in advance!

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
You just said that your parents got 5 year multiple entry valid until Nov 2018. Why do you need them to invite again !!!!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
iceberge said:
You just said that your parents got 5 year multiple entry valid until Nov 2018. Why do you need them to invite again !!!!!
I do not think the OP was literally saying 'invite' them through the visa process but 'invite' them family to family.

Given there are no formal immigration checks (currently) on who leaves Canada then overstaying 30 days may not be an issue unless on their return they highlight this specifically when they left previously to a CBSA officer when/if asked when they last visited given the CBSA officer would have this information on their screen for the validity of their previous visit.

Advice with CBSA is always answer questions honestly but avoid volunteering extra information, only provide answers to questions asked, maybe for example if asked just say last visit was Summer/Fall 2015 which is being truthful but not specific dates wise unless asked to be specific of course which they should answer appropriately and honestly.

Any overstay of course is taken seriously and nobody here can say one way or the other if will be an issue if it comes up and could maybe result in a shorter authorised stay for example or worst case refused entry, but that is real worst case. Main thing is to have to hand if asked proof in form of a return ticket that they will plan to leave.

As for taking care of kids just be aware that sometimes strange as it might seem that CBSA can consider this as work if that is the main purpose of a visit so best keep any return simple as visiting family.

kewl

Star Member
Sep 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Riyadh Online TRV
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
Doc's Request.
03-04-2014
Passport Req..
28-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2014 (Multiple)
LANDED..........
First landed in 09/2016. Visa Expired 11/2016. Reapplied with approved TRV valid until 2021
Bs65 said:
I do not think the OP was literally saying 'invite' them through the visa process but 'invite' them family to family.

Given there are no formal immigration checks (currently) on who leaves Canada then overstaying 30 days may not be an issue unless on their return they highlight this specifically when they left previously to a CBSA officer when/if asked when they last visited given the CBSA officer would have this information on their screen for the validity of their previous visit.

Advice with CBSA is always answer questions honestly but avoid volunteering extra information, only provide answers to questions asked, maybe for example if asked just say last visit was Summer/Fall 2015 which is being truthful but not specific dates wise unless asked to be specific of course which they should answer appropriately and honestly.

Any overstay of course is taken seriously and nobody here can say one way or the other if will be an issue if it comes up and could maybe result in a shorter authorised stay for example or worst case refused entry, but that is real worst case. Main thing is to have to hand if asked proof in form of a return ticket that they will plan to leave.

As for taking care of kids just be aware that sometimes strange as it might seem that CBSA can consider this as work if that is the main purpose of a visit so best keep any return simple as visiting family.
Do airlines submit passenger information to CBSA like departures? (as what US immigration does)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
kewl said:
Do airlines submit passenger information to CBSA like departures? (as what US immigration does)
not as far as anyone knows publicly but anything is possible behind the scenes to what any government agency has access to after the event. CBSA and US CBP do probably exchange some level of data for Canada/US border crossings though.

However currently there is no formal record of exits reported to CBSA although that has been rumoured to be changing at some point in the future.