+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

Jahlove2000

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Hello
I am a outside dependent. Everything submitted back in Feb 2022. Now in May 2023 got medical and biometric request. Followed by the same checklist (generic form, schedule A, additional family information….etc) again.
Updated and resubmitted through webform. And called IRCC to ask if that means my processing will start from the beginning. Agent said no. Reviewing officers can ask for updated forms any time during the process.

Regards
@selbashir , did you get the biometric request letter and medical request on the same day?

Thank you

himankkohli6

Jun 2, 2023
Hello everyone!

Principle applicant is already an PR on August 2022

As a dependent outside we received an Medical request on April and did it on May
However, right after medical we request an request for updated Schedule A and PCC. Which we already summit. Does any one have similar experience or suggestion on the process.
Pls tell timeline for the principal applicant

Abeambolar

Jan 5, 2023
So I have been reading the threads and I'm wondering if something is wrong. I haven't heard anything from IRCC since 2021 my documents were sent to Ghana. I don't know what is going on. I submitted in 2020 and processing started since February 2021. Up until now nothing again.

Hopealive

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
“I’m writing this because this is something I care about deeply and it won’t happen without the support of people like you. Starting a petition isn’t something I would normally do, but I was moved to do so because of my love to humanity. I know I’m not alone and together we can make this change happen. Please sign and share! https://chng.it/rPBjnNDKbn

Hopealive

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
Below is the content of the petition, please sign and share:

For family re-unification, accepted refugees and Protected Persons in Canada are allowed to include their dependents in their permanent residence application. The family members overseas will not receive their visa to travel to Canada until after the principal applicant in Canada has received their permanent residence.

However, this family unification does not seem to benefit the Refugees and the Protected Persons as such due to discrimination and the excessive delay in the way IRCC processes the Refugee's Permanent Residence Applications. Many of the Refugees and Protected Persons had separated for years from their overseas family members before their asylum claim was accepted. They still experience another long wait for their permanent residence application to be approved talk less of their overseas dependents. This continuous separation of the In-Canada Refugees and Protected persons from their overseas family members is having devastating consequences on the refugees' well-being and their mental health.

The present processing time for the overseas Spouses of Family Class is 14 months, whereas the processing time for the Protected Persons' spouses is around 50 months (More than 4 years).

Faster family reunification in Canada is the only way for the Government of Canada to ensure respect for the In-Canada Protected Persons and Refugees' right to family life and family unity. A family reunification delayed is a family reunification denied.

On May 26, 2023, the Honorable Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada announced new measures to strengthen family reunification by issuing faster temporary residence visas and open work permits to Spouses of Family Class Permanent residence applicants, but Spouses of Protected Persons with ongoing permanent residence applications were excluded.

An overarching principle of international human rights law is the principle of non-discrimination. The principle of non-discrimination requires that similarly situated individuals should enjoy the same rights and receive similar treatment. This includes measures of faster family reunification. This is the individuals’ right to family life and family unity, regardless of their immigration or other status. Refugees and Protected Persons too have rights to faster family unifications like foreign workers, international students, permanent residents, and Canadian citizens.

As the world will soon be celebrating this year's World Refugee Day on June 20, the Refugees and the Protected Persons in Canada call upon the Government of Canada and IRCC Minister to extend the announced May 26 measures of faster Temporary Residence Visa and Spousal Open Work Permits to the spouses of Refugees and Protected Persons. We also call on the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration to address the discrimination and the high rate of visa rejections for the overseas family members of Refugees and Protected Persons despite many of them meeting the requirements of Paragraph 179(b).

Thank you for your concerns and support in signing this petition.

Carlos Hernandez

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
Today i checked timeline for refugee family member outside canada and now is 50 month !
50 months of being separated why?!?
why cant they apply for sponsership when their spouse is already PR
Mine is now 34 month and i have to survive 16 month more to maybe see my wife
Hello, please I would be grateful if you could tell me if they ask for proof of communication or money transferred to support ? Thanks in advance

Hws24

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
They asked for proof of relationship other than documentation (pics and communication) we supported the file with money transfer receipts and communications messages and they were accepted as a proof of continuous relation.

Carlos Hernandez

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
They asked for proof of relationship other than documentation (pics and communication) we supported the file with money transfer receipts and communications messages and they were accepted as a proof of continuous relation.
Thanks, Please what way of communication did you use, I only use WhatsApp? Please any recommendation. Thanks a million for your answer.

Hws24

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Thanks, Please what way of communication did you use, I only use WhatsApp? Please any recommendation. Thanks a million for your answer.
I provided screenshots of whatsapp call log and conversations. Anything you have apply like the video calls we had screenshots that the children used were also provided, anything that has date stamp works great

Carlos Hernandez

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
I provided screenshots of whatsapp call log and conversations. Anything you have apply like the video calls we had screenshots that the children used were also provided, anything that has date stamp works great
Thanks a lot for your answer.
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on March 23, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 11, 2023.
  3. We started processing your application on February 10, 2023.
  4. Medical results have been received.
This is for me that I am the main protected person here in Canada. For my wife overseas, they only ask for biometrics on may 2022.

Last edited:

Hopealive

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
What's the status of your application now?