+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overlap of Study and Work-ex

Radix

Mar 22, 2017
Hi,

During my last semester of graduation, I joined a startup as a marketing/operations executive. I would work 2.5-3 hours a day on weekdays and 17-18 hours on weekends (study pressure in last the semester is usually very low) making it a weekly average of 30-32 hrs. This continued for 4 months until I graduated, after which I joined the same firm as a full-time employee, working there for another 4 months. (Post which I joined an MNC).
In my CIC profile, I have mentioned this job as a continuous period overlapping with my education (While mentioning weekly hours as 30).
1. Do you think the CIC would raise an issue during the validation process because of the overlap of study and work?
2. If the answer to 1. is Yes, will mentioning these points in a Letter of Explanation help or should I break the work-ex so as not to overlap the study and job period.

P.S: I have already received an ITA

Regards,
Radix

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Similar situation and it wasn't an issue for me. Per CIC, “Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week," so you can still claim that as full time experience. The dates of your work experience and your education can overlap. It's not an issue.

It's not uncommon for people to work while finishing their education. CIC knows this.

Reactions: thementor

gadoken

Star Member
Jun 20, 2015
Uhh no I don't think you can do that. If that's the case, I should have claimed 2 years of work experience before I even graduated since my university had a co-op program...

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
Similar situation and it wasn't an issue for me. Per CIC, “Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week," so you can still claim that as full time experience. The dates of your work experience and your education can overlap. It's not an issue.

It's not uncommon for people to work while finishing their education. CIC knows this.
I can guarantee you you will be refused if you dare do that.
That was the only reason I was refused last year. Please don't waste precious time and money.

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
Hi,

During my last semester of graduation, I joined a startup as a marketing/operations executive. I would work 2.5-3 hours a day on weekdays and 17-18 hours on weekends (study pressure in last the semester is usually very low) making it a weekly average of 30-32 hrs. This continued for 4 months until I graduated, after which I joined the same firm as a full-time employee, working there for another 4 months. (Post which I joined an MNC).
In my CIC profile, I have mentioned this job as a continuous period overlapping with my education (While mentioning weekly hours as 30).
1. Do you think the CIC would raise an issue during the validation process because of the overlap of study and work?
2. If the answer to 1. is Yes, will mentioning these points in a Letter of Explanation help or should I break the work-ex so as not to overlap the study and job period.

Regards,
Radix
Please don't try it.
See my message above.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I can guarantee you you will be refused if you dare do that.
That was the only reason I was refused last year. Please don't waste precious time and money.
Really? Because I have CoPR in hand....

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
You actually cannot. You might have had enough work experience excluding your invalid work experience. It says it right there on their website lol come on.
While it says it for CEC, it does not the FSW stream: Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program.

If you search this forum, there are numerous conversations about this exact thing. In the US it is common for people (especially graduate students) to work full time and go to school full time.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/foreign-work-experience-while-full-time-student-for-fsw.389216/

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
While it says it for CEC, it does not the FSW stream: Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program.

If you search this forum, there are numerous conversations about this exact thing. In the US it is common for people (especially graduate students) to work full time and go to school full time.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/foreign-work-experience-while-full-time-student-for-fsw.389216/
What might have happened is when they excluded those study hours, your points weRe still within range.
Under FSW, yes. Cos it doesn't take into account your work in Canada.
I work as a Pharmacist aND also doing my masters. I was refused under CEC.
I have applied under FSW now and they have accepted my foreign experience and only included my work here for proof of funds.
I compared my GCMS notes so the eligibility is passed now. It wasnt last year

Radix

Mar 22, 2017
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I just wanted to clarify that the overlap experience isn't adding much points to my profile (only 3) and that I will be applying under FSW category. I already have 46 months of work-ex working for 2 blue-chip companies and had a CRS score of 478 points. Will it still be a problem?

olak131

Mar 23, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
10/2/2017
Doc's Request.
8/4/2017
AOR Received.
10/2/2017
Thank you all for your prompt responses. I just wanted to clarify that the overlap experience isn't adding much points to my profile (only 3) and that I will be applying under FSW category. I already have 46 months of work-ex working for 2 blue-chip companies and had a CRS score of 478 points. Will it still be a problem?
Since you are applying under FSW and your overlap is only adding 3 points just take it out from your work experience. The less cumbersome you make it look for the officer the faster your case.
Moreover, scores are pretty low right now so you don't need the 3 points.Try to add it though to your employment history, as it subjectively helps your adaptability when viewing your application.

Reactions: Radix

Tracy Le

Oct 30, 2018
Hi,

Regards,
Radix
Hi Radix,
Could you help to advise on your case? Did you get PR yet?
I have the same issue as yours and I need to write Letter of Explanation
Please help me. Thank you very much. Gratefully appreciate.