+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overdue loan - Re-entering Canada

cereberus

Aug 20, 2013
Hi,

Slightly complicated situation, so apologies in advance for the length of the post.

I completed my education at the University of Toronto in June 2010, using OSAP loans. At the time, I was a Permanent Resident in Canada. Soon after, I left to study for another degree in the UK. In the intervening period, I gave up my Canadian PR and no longer hold that status.

Now, due to a mis-communication (and laziness on my part), I have yet to begin repayments for my loans. The loan has now obviously gone to collections. Part of the loan was a federal loan and the other part provincial. I have spoken to the Canada Revenue Agency, and already arranged a repayment plan for the federal loan. As for the provincial loan, it has been passed on to a collections agency, who are suggesting I make the entire repayment in a single lump sum. Is this normally the situation ? I can arrange to pay in installments, but a lump sum might be difficult.

I will also be travelling to Canada in the next couple of weeks on a visit visa. I was assured by the lady at the Canada Revenue Agency that I would face no problems re-entering the country, in spite of my debt. However, the collections agency administering the provincial loan was unable to provide any such guarantees, as it has something to do with crown debt.

Does anyone have any information on this matter ? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cereberus said:
I will also be travelling to Canada in the next couple of weeks on a visit visa. I was assured by the lady at the Canada Revenue Agency that I would face no problems re-entering the country, in spite of my debt. However, the collections agency administering the provincial loan was unable to provide any such guarantees, as it has something to do with crown debt.

Does anyone have any information on this matter ? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
What exactly are you worried about? Do you think the Province of Ontario would give you "problems re-entering the country"? This is not a criminal case and therefore, they do not legally prevent you from entering the country. I'm just using common sense.

cereberus

Aug 20, 2013
Have to confess, just a little bit paranoid at the moment, and trying to get a definitive answer, so I don't face any issues at the airport. Thank you for your response though !