stevogooner

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Kuwait
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Nairobi
I applied for a work permit in September 2022. After waiting for more than a year, yesterday the status in my tracker changed to closed. Biometrics and eligibility are shown as completed, but background check is still in progress. I did not receive any decision from IRCC. Does anyone know what this change in status means? Thanks.

stevogooner

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Kuwait
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Got a refusal minutes later

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,
Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your work permit
application and supporting documentation under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, I have
determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee
Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing
your application on the following grounds:
• You were not able to demonstrate that you will be able to adequately perform the work
you seek.
To get help with understanding your temporary resident application refusal and what you can do
next, visit: https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/refusal-visa-application.
Next Steps:
• If you decide to apply again, know that:
○ your new application will be assessed on its own merits,
○ you must resubmit a new application and all relevant supporting documents and pay
a new temporary resident application fee, and
○ your new application may be refused unless it is supported by new or different
information that would satisfy the officer that you meet all application requirements.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Got a refusal minutes later

Dear XXXXXXXXXX,
Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your work permit
application and supporting documentation under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, I have
determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee
Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing
your application on the following grounds:
• You were not able to demonstrate that you will be able to adequately perform the work
you seek.
To get help with understanding your temporary resident application refusal and what you can do
next, visit: https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/refusal-visa-application.
Next Steps:
• If you decide to apply again, know that:
○ your new application will be assessed on its own merits,
○ you must resubmit a new application and all relevant supporting documents and pay
a new temporary resident application fee, and
○ your new application may be refused unless it is supported by new or different
information that would satisfy the officer that you meet all application requirements.
So what was the job/NOC and how did you prove you could do the job. And if you reapply what documents will you add?

stevogooner

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Kuwait
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Nairobi
So what was the job/NOC and how did you prove you could do the job. And if you reapply what documents will you add?
NOC is 63200. I have 7 years experience as a cook and I attached my experience letter so I don't know why the officer thinks I'm unable to do the job. I was interviewed by my employer before being offered the job.
Maybe it's because my education is different from my experience. I will order gcms notes to get the full details. What pains me is that they took 1 year to give a one line refusal

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
NOC is 63200. I have 7 years experience as a cook and I attached my experience letter so I don't know why the officer thinks I'm unable to do the job. I was interviewed by my employer before being offered the job.
Maybe it's because my education is different from my experience. I will order gcms notes to get the full details. What pains me is that they took 1 year to give a one line refusal
So you don’t have any post secondary education. So you have worked for the same employer for 7 years?

stevogooner

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Kuwait
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Nairobi
So you don’t have any post secondary education. So you have worked for the same employer for 7 years?
I have a degree in biomedical science and another diploma in management but I couldn't find a job in my country so I took what came my way and that's how I became a cook

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have a degree in biomedical science and another diploma in management but I couldn't find a job in my country so I took what came my way and that's how I became a cook
Ok but you say you have 7 years experience as a cook. Is this with one employer only? Not having a culinary diploma and a degree in a totally different field does factor in.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
So what type of cook are you in your country , and what type of cook was the position in Canada ?
Is it a high end kitchen in Canada ? Did they require in their posting that applicants had to have a culinary degree to apply ?
All kitchens are not the same or qualifications. I was a cook in a pizza house in Alberta . Then in another kitchen where there was a hierarchy of cooks . Chef , sous chef, sous chef in training, sous chef desserts . Then the kitchen help, which I was , which did not require any experience or training . It was on the job training and hired off the street.
Some individuals refer to themselves as a Chef . To have a chef or a sous chef designation , requires one to apprentice and get their red seal.

Last edited:

stevogooner

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Kuwait
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Nairobi
So what type of cook are you in your country , and what type of cook was the position in Canada ?
Is it a high end kitchen in Canada ? Did they require in their posting that applicants had to have a culinary degree to apply ?
All kitchens are not the same or qualifications. I was a cook in a pizza house in Alberta . Then in another kitchen where there was a hierarchy of cooks . Chef , sous chef, sous chef in training, sous chef desserts . Then the kitchen help, which I was , which did not require any experience or training . It was on the job training and hired off the street.
Some individuals refer to themselves as a Chef . To have a chef or a sous chef designation , requires one to apprentice and get their red seal.
I'm working in Kuwait as a commii/line cook. I have worked for casual dining brands such as texas roadhouse, pizza express and cheesecake factory. The restaurants are all owned by one company(Franchise Company). I applied for a line cook position with Mr Mike's Steakhouse. This level does not require any culinary degree as the training is on job.
Several of my colleagues, some with no post secondary education and on just job training, have moved to Canada so I do think a culinary degree would be the issue

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm working in Kuwait as a commii/line cook. I have worked for casual dining brands such as texas roadhouse, pizza express and cheesecake factory. The restaurants are all owned by one company(Franchise Company). I applied for a line cook position with Mr Mike's Steakhouse. This level does not require any culinary degree as the training is on job.
Several of my colleagues, some with no post secondary education and on just job training, have moved to Canada so I do think a culinary degree would be the issue
Order GCMS notes. If reapply, you need to documentation to prove you can do the job. Get new job offer letter from employer.