+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland: Tricky situation with applicant's passport extension stamp

starwarsfan

May 16, 2023
Hey all,

I am planning to sponsor my husband from the US to come re-unite with me in Canada (outland sponsorship). However, due to our country's special laws, we cannot get new passports abroad. Due to COVID, he had his passport "extended" in the embassy in the US, where they just put a sticker in the "Remarks" page with a QR code, a stamp, and a text saying that "this passport has been extended until October 2024". The passport has previously expired on October 2022.

In short, the passport's main page shows the expiration date of October 2022, but it has technically been extended with the sticker containing the QR code and stamp, extending it until October 2024. Due to certain circumstances, he cannot go back to his country to extend it in a normal way (military conscription).

How can we show the immigration officer that this passport is valid and has been extended by our country's embassy? Some have recommended scanning the main page and the sticker, and putting a link to the government article explaining such way of extending passports.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Some have recommended scanning the main page and the sticker, and putting a link to the government article explaining such way of extending passports.
That's your entire answer right there. I don't think you even need the link to government article, but if you have it, great. Or a short letter of explanation just stating the passport's been extended as evidenced by the sticker on page ##. Unless there's something hard to understand, doesn't sound remotely complicated.

You do NOT need to go into details about why you can't go home, etc. Just factual statement the passport has been extended.

Reactions: starwarsfan